Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   SRT8 rear sway bar FAIL - HELP! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/srt8-rear-sway-bar-fail-help-26724.html)

HEMI57 08-06-2011 02:59 PM

SRT8 rear sway bar FAIL - HELP!

Ok, I succeeded in pulling the old one out, and removed the endlinks too just because it was easier. Now I can't get the damn new SRT8 one in... OR the stock one! It's like a puzzle and I suck at puzzles.

I pulled the old one with just the passenger side wheel pulled, and I'd prefer not to pull both wheels at the same time (dropped an Xterra on me once and to be honest I'm just afraid to have <3 wheels on the ground at all times). Is that my problem? Do I need to get both sides up in the air to make room for it?

I literally cannot figure this thing out for the life of me. I've given up for today (1.5 hours of trying to solve the puzzle frustrated me enough that I gave up, put away tools and got myself a beer). Anyone local who can help me or anyone who can just provide some picture help? I feel like an idiot, uninstalling SHOULD have been the hard part. But putting the new one on has proved impossible.

Please help me!!

Thanks. :thumbsup:

HEMI57 08-06-2011 04:39 PM

Re: SRT8 rear sway bar FAIL - HELP!

further forum reading suggests I screwed up by jacking from the axle and not the frame to give room for install. Is this my problem?

viking757 08-06-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMI57 (Post 461018)
further forum reading suggests I screwed up by jacking from the axle and not the frame to give room for install. Is this my problem?

Jack it up by the frame it will give you more wiggle room.

HEMI57 08-06-2011 06:19 PM

I will try this tomorrow.. Jack the axle and put jack stands on the frame, then remove jack and let suspension drop for more room

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. I'll attempt install in the morning for round 2, lol

Chaoul1 08-06-2011 06:20 PM

Yes, jack it up from the frame and let the axle hang.

viking757 08-06-2011 10:52 PM

The only other advice I have is be patient. Dont hulk out on it :D

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-06-2011 11:52 PM

it only goes in via one exact way. it is a huge pita but it will eventually fit

Escape 08-06-2011 11:57 PM

Seeing as you have had the scary moment with the Xterra use jack stands and don't forget to put the tire you removed under the jeep with a chunk of 2x4 on the top. Just incase man.

HEMI57 08-07-2011 08:01 AM

Yeah 2 jack stands and the wheel under it for sure, thanks for the tip! I'm so frustrated with getting it back in, I'm hoping today I can get a fresh outlook on it. Mods have been going so well up until this point.. Makes me feel so defeated! Wish me luck.

richxgior 08-07-2011 10:08 AM

im sure youll get it bro! let me know how it rides when its all done!

HEMI57 08-07-2011 10:16 AM

lol I had the bar backwards the whole time. Shows how frustration can make things impossible. Turned it around and it slid right in. Not sure why it took me so long to figure that out.

Moving on to more mods :-) Measured the garage height while I was out there.. looks like I can fit a 2" lift with some more meat on the tires too.

Chaoul1 08-07-2011 11:29 AM

You should've painted it! I'm thinking of painting mine Imola Yellow (Like the 00-01' Audi S4) or the same yellow that are on the Bilstein Shocks.