Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   EGR swaparoo '05 HEMI (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/egr-swaparoo-05-hemi-26729.html)

jwernatl 08-06-2011 08:29 PM

EGR swaparoo '05 HEMI

Well - last week my check engine light lit up for about 30-40 minutes.

I quickly did the check codes *trick and it flashed dtc 'p0406' - egr flow sensor a circuit high input-
*those that are not familar with the trick to check codes you can find them in a thread called 'little tricks hidden features...' above.

That afteroon I went up to Autozone and grabbed an EGR WOW - I had forgotten how the 5.7 used to run. Holy smacks. Shut the front door.

Over the last few months (maybe longer) Ive had a few issues..

1. there was some hesitation with acceleration in normal everyday driving
2. the engine was louder at idle,
3. the trans didnt shift just right - like the shift points were off and, as well the shift points were not consistant -
4. after shutting down the Jeep there was this 'TICK' 10-15 seconds & 'TICK' this would go on for a few minutes

There were a few other small things too I cant put my finger on them right now. The JEEP just wasnt 'right', if you know what I mean.

EGR swap made a NIGHT and DAY difference. I know this sounds wacky and all, but, I'm serious guys after swaping EGR's - the Jeep drives as good as it ever has. Better.. Maybe it's just the HEMI or the '05's but I doubt it. Anyone else had this tye of experience?

My personal opinion -- I think my EGR wasnt operating properly, I dont think it was totaly non-functional- maybe jit was just getting clogged up. Why did it take so long for the light to come on? And why did it go off after 30 mins or so? Really it doesnt matter but i'd like to know. --

1. The hesitation is way gone,
2. it shifts as it should now
3. the idle is so much better and it sounds better too.
4. The 'TICK' is gone too. (WHAT was it anyway???)
5. One other thing - in the am when I would get in and turn the key it used to take a sec or 2 to start up (sometimes it would take a second time) WELL NOW I barley kick it over and VAAROOOM - It starts up in a blink.

I know it's crazy sounding. I didnt even want to bring it up at first so I waited a week. It's been a week and a few days. I love my JEEP.

**also I bought me a K&N filter that day I purchased the EGR. I installed it that night too, but, i dont think it had anything to do with it.

Chaoul1 08-06-2011 08:34 PM

Re: EGR swaparoo '05 HEMI

I have to do mine still!

I have that tick also. I have no clue and I know what your talking about.

How long did it take you to change it?

JETLIFE 08-06-2011 08:34 PM

I noticed a difference, but I changed the oil, spark plugs, EGR, and a dialosport predator. It felt a lot different! Lol

jeepgcoman 08-06-2011 09:19 PM

Personally, I think the K and N made all the difference, LOL!! Just kidding. Did you notice any low speed surging too? That was the most noticeable thing on mine when it went bad. I was able to monitor my EGR valve operation with my onboard engine/trans. management monitor. The bad one would continuously fluctuate wildly to all kinds of unrealistic (+ and/or - over 100% sometimes. My theory is that the PCM/TCM would try to adapt to these numbers, thereby causing all kinds of symptoms like you were experiencing. With the new valve it still fluctuates, as it should, but now it is much slower and more predictable. On the highway at ~65 mph (constant throttle) it'll usually run ~55-65% recirc. Glad it made a favorable difference on yours.

trebliw 08-07-2011 09:08 AM

I think my ride is due for this... it's running the exact way.

jwernatl 08-07-2011 11:44 AM

It was an easy swap. Really easy. The only issue is the bottom bolt on the EGR. The alterantor bracket is in the way. It will take about 30 minutes max if you didnt have to deal with the bottom bolt. Search 'EGR switch' It gives great step by step pics and directions. It also tells the correct bolt to get at a hardware store to replace the bottom bolt if you dont want to loosen the bracket and move it out the way... You got two choices for the bottom bolt--- cut and replace with the size they reccomend or slide the bracket out of the way. - Either one is easy. It's a wonderful upgrade to a JEEP that is 'under the weather' --- John.

JETLIFE 08-07-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwernatl (Post 461480)
It was an easy swap. Really easy. The only issue is the bottom bolt on the EGR. The alterantor bracket is in the way. It will take about 30 minutes max if you didnt have to deal with the bottom bolt. Search 'EGR switch' It gives great step by step pics and directions. It also tells the correct bolt to get at a hardware store to replace the bottom bolt if you dont want to loosen the bracket and move it out the way... You got two choices for the bottom bolt--- cut and replace with the size they reccomend or slide the bracket out of the way. - Either one is easy. It's a wonderful upgrade to a JEEP that is 'under the weather' --- John.

I got my bolt out without moving the alternator, It was a PITA but it can be done. I also reused the bolt and got it back in without cutting it or having to buy a new shorter bolt.

HEMI57 08-07-2011 02:29 PM

^^I'm going to replace mine tomorrow and am hoping I too can get that silly bolt out without cutting it. I have a hacksaw but don't think I can wedge it in there to cut the bolt. I have heard people can wiggle it out with some patience. I have low patience, but we'll see how it goes, lol

blackpepper 08-07-2011 02:56 PM

That patience factor you speak of is the only thing holding me back lol

jeepgcoman 08-07-2011 07:14 PM

When you get the bolt out, cut about 3/16 in. off the end, and chamfer it real well so you won't cross thread it. I also ground down the little lip on the top of the bolt head. Next time it'll be real easy to change.

viking757 08-07-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackpepper (Post 461593)
That patience factor you speak of is the only thing holding me back lol

:lol:

trebliw 08-08-2011 07:26 PM

Just did mine and it worked wonders for my 57L with 50K+ miles. $39.99 at Auto Zone. I didn't have anything to cut the bolt off so I just removed the serpentine belt off the alternator and loosened the 2 bolts along with wiring harness to make room for the bolt so it could slide out (an added 15 minutes but well-worth it).

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...entinebelt.jpg