Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   TRAIL RATED is a JOKE! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/trail-rated-is-a-joke-26731.html)

HEMInator 08-06-2011 09:11 PM

TRAIL RATED is a JOKE!

Ok so there is another thread that talks to this a little but I wanted to make a new one with a different title and different slant. Trail Rated is SUPPOSED to mean the following:

18" Off Road (although we actually get street tires) tires
18" Wheels
Extra electronic protection for wires underneath the vehicle
Skid Plates
Tow Hooks

The 2011s price for the ORAG II package was $275. The 2012 price for the EXACT same package (and street tires) is now $995! Oh yeah and I pay $995 for a 2012 ORAG II or $275 for 2011 ORAG II and I get cheaper tires and rims since I'm forced to get 18's and I get no credit for that? It's a joke to spend more money for less product. Marketing really needs to get their act together.

The 2011 70th Anniversary Edition gets the Trail Rated badge as long as it comes equipped as a 4X4 with the V8...NO KIDDING! I was at one of my local dealerships tonight and was comparing some 70th Anniversary Editions just to see. The ones with 4X4 and a V6 weren't trail rated but EVERY 4X4 with a V8 was. The sticker on the ones that were trail rated show the "Trail Rated" badge as part of the V8 option! It's a joke. I looked underneath the "Trail Rated" ones and NOT ONE of them had Skid Plates OR Tow Hooks and yet they all had 20" Rims and the same tires that come standard on Overlands (Goodyear Forteras). Now I don't want the badge just to have the badge but I would agree that the Tow Hooks, 4X4 AND Skid Plates should be required for Trail Rated but the wheel size shouldn't matter...I happen to want 20s since I have some 18s I could use for serious off roading when I would plan to do that.

Ultimately I'm a little disappointed in Jeep for making a mockery of the Trail Rated badge and the fact that they jacked the price of the ORAG II up $720 for no reason. In addition, it's just been proven that the 6-spd transmission is the EXACT same tranny as the 2011s with the TSB (or post 2 May builds)...same ratios. Tell me again why I should wait for a 2012 if I'm planning to keep it a long time (i.e. don't care about the depreciation hit)? Ok rant over :)

netcoolery 08-06-2011 09:21 PM

Re: TRAIL RATED is a JOKE!

^ I hear you man. When I heard that they had jacked up the price of the ORA I figured that maybe they had wised up on the tires, but it seems not.

What's a shame is how some idiot bean counter or marketing weenie is ruining the "sub-brand" (Trail rating). It takes time and effort to establish the value and meaning of a sub-brand - but any idiot can destroy it by watering it down.

(Ask the Army Rangers about berets)

I just scratch my head that there's not a "Jeep Guy" somewhere high enough up to protect the cache of the brand and stop silly stuff like this.

Dan JGC 08-06-2011 09:24 PM

Yep - I pointed this exact thing out a while back regarding how it is now treated completely inconsistently. Trail Rated is SUPPOSED to mean something...HELLO JEEP.

Anyway, some people jumped all over me on it and made it sound like I was being nit-picky. I think this is something Jeep needs to clarify...sooo I agree with you.

HEMInator 08-06-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 461188)
Yep - I pointed this exact thing out a while back regarding how it is now treated completely inconsistently. Trail Rated is SUPPOSED to mean something...HELLO JEEP.

Anyway, some people jumped all over me on it and made it sound like I was being nit-picky. I think this is something Jeep needs to clarify...sooo I agree with you.

Dan,

Yeah I read through your thread but I figured I'd kind of combine that issue with the ORAG II price increase. As you pointed out, it's definitely not a mistake. With the 70th Anniversary edition, all that's needed is a V8 added to the 4X4 and bam...Trail Rated! LOL...if that were the case, EVERY JGC that was 4X4 and V8 should get the badge but we know Overland buyers don't get that with the V8 and 4X4 alone nor should they. It's just so frustrating to have Jeep Engineers say on this forum that there's no way to get a Trail Rated Jeep with 20's and HQ says the same thing when you contact them but then you see 70th Anniversary JGC's getting it with just a V8 on a 4X4 with no hooks, plates or 18s...just unreal! If they are gonna force people to have 18s' on the Overlands to get the ORAG II, a credit should be given for giving up more expensive tires and wheels but they went the other way on that one with the 2012 by jacking up the price for the same package $720...lol...would love to talk to their marketing and pricing people!

jgc4ever 08-06-2011 10:30 PM

WJ and WK both got TRAIL RATED withOUT skid plates and tow hooks.

Ron98GT 08-06-2011 11:28 PM

You missed one thing: the Hemi/V8 includes the Quadra Lift Package, limited slip rear, lower rear axle, and removable front grill.

According to Jeep: "The Trail Rated® badge means that your Jeep 4x4 has been designed to perform in five categories of off-road conditions: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording."

Moab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnF-LpBZFqY

Rubicon:

http://www.road-reality.com/2010/02/...s-the-rubicon/

HEMInator 08-06-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron98GT (Post 461249)
You missed one thing: the Hemi/V8 includes the Quadra Lift Package, limited slip rear, lower rear axle, and removable front grill.

According to Jeep: "The Trail Rated® badge means that your Jeep 4x4 has been designed to perform in five categories of off-road conditions: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording."

Moab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnF-LpBZFqY

Rubicon:

http://www.road-reality.com/2010/02/...s-the-rubicon/

Ron,

I don't follow your point my man. The Overland comes with the Quadra Life which helps in maneuverability and yet doesn't automatically get Trail Rated whereas the 70th Anniversary doesn't get Quadra Lift with the V8 and still gets the Trail Rated badge.

Dan JGC 08-07-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMInator (Post 461254)
Ron,

I don't follow your point my man. The Overland comes with the Quadra Life which helps in maneuverability and yet doesn't automatically get Trail Rated whereas the 70th Anniversary doesn't get Quadra Lift with the V8 and still gets the Trail Rated badge.

EXACTLY..........no quadra-lift on the 70th but is Trail Rated with the 20" wheels. Say what?!?! :slapfight:

Scottina06 08-07-2011 05:17 AM

The 70ths I saw all had 18" wheels

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mjw930 08-07-2011 08:45 AM

With the price hike the smart money would buy the vehicle without the package, add the tow hooks and skid plates and pick up a second set if rims and tires with real off-road cred. (then order the trail rated badge off ebay ;) )

Dan JGC 08-07-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 461338)
The 70ths I saw all had 18" wheels

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Hey --- You may want to take a second look at those 70th's. They come with the special 70th 20" wheels as a part of the 70th package. See quote taken directly today from Jeep build your own website below:

"Laredo X 70th Anniversary Features
included in base price
Includes Everything on Laredo X, Plus:
20-Inch Polished-Aluminum Wheels
Media Center w/ 6.5-In. Touchscreen,
30GB Hard Drive, CD/DVD and WMA/MP3
Uconnect® Voice Command w/+
Bluetooth® Connectivity+
Premium Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats
Driver/Front Passenger Seats w/ 8-Way
Power Adjust and 4-Way Lumbar Adjust
Remote Start System+
Tire Pressure Display
Leather-Wrapped Shift Knob
115-Volt Auxiliary Power Outlet"

fljeepleo 08-07-2011 09:32 AM

Do the 70th anniversary have select terrain?