Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Component speakers? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/component-speakers-26769.html)

mondo 08-07-2011 03:17 PM

Component speakers?

Looking to replace the all the factory speakers. Wanted to hear some opinions on different brands. I used to use MB Quart back in the day, but from what I heard they arent they way they used to be. Right now im looking at Focal, Diamond, Memphis but have never heard them in person. Im not looking to do the kicker upgrade either. I have a JL 300/4 thats going to power them to go along with my JL 10w7 and JL 1000/1 amp. Thanks!

lll2for3lll 08-07-2011 03:28 PM

Re: Component speakers?

Component speakers are for building a system from scratch.

lll2for3lll 08-07-2011 03:31 PM

Is that what you plan to do?

mondo 08-07-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 461615)
Is that what you plan to do?

yessir

lll2for3lll 08-07-2011 03:34 PM

Nice.

05WK 08-07-2011 05:25 PM

JL. Can't go wrong with that.

Do you have a local car toys? You can always go BS wight them.

mondo 08-07-2011 07:30 PM

There is really only one place in the area now. I know they carry JL, but not sure what else.

1stJeepGC 08-07-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mondo (Post 461604)
Looking to replace the all the factory speakers. Wanted to hear some opinions on different brands. I used to use MB Quart back in the day, but from what I heard they arent they way they used to be. Right now im looking at Focal, Diamond, Memphis but have never heard them in person. Im not looking to do the kicker upgrade either. I have a JL 300/4 thats going to power them to go along with my JL 10w7 and JL 1000/1 amp. Thanks!

First of all, your plan is the right way to proceed.

Focal has a nice midrange sound and would work nicely with the JL sub. The tweeter section IMO is just to harsh (too tinny), I prefer a soft dome or silk tweeter. The Diamond is also another nice choose and they just updated the line again. In general, with the European speakers you can not go wrong. Also, with component speakers, the more money they are, the better passive crossover network comes with it.

For me, the final choice was between the Focal's, DLS (great speaker owned them before) and the Pioneer Stage 4 component speakers. The DLS and the Pioneer was about the same but I got a better package price with Pioneer.

Best for now. :)

mondo 08-07-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stJeepGC (Post 461810)
First of all, your plan is the right way to proceed.

Focal has a nice midrange sound and would work nicely with the JL sub. The tweeter section IMO is just to harsh (too tinny), I prefer a soft dome or silk tweeter. The Diamond is also another nice choose and they just updated the line again. In general, with the European speakers you can not go wrong. Also, with component speakers, the more money they are, the better passive crossover network comes with it.

For me, the final choice was between the Focal's, DLS (great speaker owned them before) and the Pioneer Stage 4 component speakers. The DLS and the Pioneer was about the same but I got a better package price with Pioneer.

Im definitly looking for something thats not to harsh(tinny). Something more on the "warm" side....

1stJeepGC 08-07-2011 11:46 PM

Also try Polk Audio, the tweeters are European designed, but the mid bass/range is either American or European. I cannot remember. Pioneer Stage 4 is a complete European design and their D-series is also. The Diamond's do have a silk tweeter.

The bottom line, when it comes to speakers, you must listen to them with couple of different types of music this way you know you made the right choice.

Since, you do have excellent amps and subwoofer, you might consider spending a little more money on the components. It will be rewarding.

soontobesrt 08-08-2011 09:04 PM

If you are serious Id skip JL and probably Diamond but they do make some good stuff, cant knock them totally haha.
To me: from hearing and reading, general consensus favorites seem to be:

Hertz Hi-Energy and Mille series are sweet!
MB Quarts top of the line stuff is quality, had an old set of PVLs but the Qs were insane quality!
Also check out DLS Iridiums - they are awesome components
Morel makes nice setups as does Rainbow (if you can find any haha, goodluck)
Almost forgot: Image Dynamics stuff is also top notch, def hear a set of those!
Even top of the line BAs and JLs are nice but Id pass for previously mentioned brands

Rainbow or Focal would probably sell at the highest price points w/ their best stuff of which are completely SQ sets, will sounds as good as it gets but not totally overpowering speakers

Go see if you can find listen to some Hertz Milles (Audison speaks) viz ellectromedia
or maybe some of the Focals, those are always my top 2 :)

Any other big name brands that get throw around are usually nothing special, will sound ok but for a few extra bucks their sound isn't even in the same ball park - of course half the battle is THE INSTALL as I'm sure you know ;)

mondo 08-08-2011 10:18 PM

How do CDT and Image Dynamics sound? Ive read some good reviews about the CDT's. Theres a 3 way set with a 8", 4" and tweeter that i saw......