Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   2005 Limited GC with REC Looking to upgrade to Mygig????? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/2005-limited-gc-with-rec-looking-to-upgrade-to-mygig-26840.html)

My98turbors 08-08-2011 09:58 PM

2005 Limited GC with REC Looking to upgrade to Mygig?????

I have a 2005 Grand cherokee limited with the Rec navigation head unit and I am looking to upgrade to a newer REN Mygig. I am looking to keep the uconnect bluetooth. So for a parts list I need a
low speed rer Mygig,
ver 2,3,4 lockpick,
ebay bezel to fit in the larger rec hole.

Do I need anything else? Since my jeep is already equiped with uconnect and bluetooth will that work with the Ren and lockpick or do I have to buy something else as well to make this all work?

Another question is will I need to go to the dealer to have anything reflashed or will this be pnp?

I have read and read for hours all the threads regarding the different Mygigs and I wanted to ask these questions to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into. Thanks in advance
-Mike-

My98turbors 08-14-2011 02:34 AM

Re: 2005 Limited GC with REC Looking to upgrade to Mygig?????

Anyone???

bur1196 08-14-2011 08:52 AM

I am in the same boat as you (except upgrading my standard radio) and it looks like you will need the following (pulled from another thread):

1. RER radio for Navigation (REN DOES NOT HAVE NAVIGATION)
2. MYGIG ADAPTER KIT COMBO (kit includes the adaptor itself, a cable to allow you to hook up your reverse cam/ ipod/ rer VES, an adaptor to make your current am/fm cable work, ipod cable) **DO NOT GET THE LOCKPICK**
3. Trim piece (ebay Lockpick bezel filler)
4. REC Bezel piece (REQUIRED if you don't currently have the REC navigation) **DOESN'T APPLY TO YOU SINCE YOU CURRENTLY HAVE A REC RADIO**
5. GPS antenna **DOESN'T APPLY TO YOU SINCE YOU CURRENTLY HAVE A REC RADIO**
6. Sirius antenna
7. Microphone

I got everything except for #6 and 7 which I don't think that I will need.

Since you have UConnect, I am not sure if you need to buy a microphone (see CoastalETech's website).

You shouldn't need anything reflashed. I heard that is only for the 2011s...

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-05-2011 01:05 PM

i have done this........ you need....

1. RER navigation radio or REN touchscreen radio
2. Lockpick V.2
3. bezel adapter
4. GPS antenna- you need a new one since it is different from the rec antenna.
5. Sirius Antenna or extension cable if you want sirius
6. microphone if you want uconnect.
7. Upgraded software for the rer so your clock works correctly. (can be found on ebay or downloaded online)

the rer has its own uconnect module so you wont use the mirror anymore. you will not need to go to the dealer for anything.

brunality 01-17-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 479201)
i have done this........ you need....

1. RER navigation radio or REN touchscreen radio
2. Lockpick V.2
3. bezel adapter
4. GPS antenna- you need a new one since it is different from the rec antenna.
5. Sirius Antenna or extension cable if you want sirius
6. microphone if you want uconnect.
7. Upgraded software for the rer so your clock works correctly. (can be found on ebay or downloaded online)

the rer has its own uconnect module so you wont use the mirror anymore. you will not need to go to the dealer for anything.

So if you already have a Sirius antenna, it won't work? Or do you just need an adapter? Is there a GPS adapter available? If you already have Uconnect, do you still need an extra mic?

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-17-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunality (Post 554815)
So if you already have a Sirius antenna, it won't work? Or do you just need an adapter? Is there a GPS adapter available? If you already have Uconnect, do you still need an extra mic?

the sirius antenna wire is built into the harness for the radio and the RER has a seperate antenna plug on the back. you can either buy an antenna extension (the box is in the rear cargo area in the passenger panel) connect it there and route it to the radio or just get a new antenna. i took the easier route and bought a new antenna. there is no gps adapter, you need a new antenna...... they are only $20 so it is no big deal. your factory uconnect will not work with the RER uconnect so you will need a new mic, but once again it is only $20 so it doesnt really matter.

brunality 01-18-2012 10:51 AM

Cool, those have been my biggest questions since I have all the options already. My problem is paying Sirius to transfer to a new antenna again. It runs about $75 to transfer. I've been wanting to upgrade to a RER to keep all the factory functions, but if they need to be replaced, it's starting to sound much easier just to go aftermarket.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-19-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunality (Post 555221)
Cool, those have been my biggest questions since I have all the options already. My problem is paying Sirius to transfer to a new antenna again. It runs about $75 to transfer. I've been wanting to upgrade to a RER to keep all the factory functions, but if they need to be replaced, it's starting to sound much easier just to go aftermarket.

just get the antenna extender....... but sirius didnt charge me to trasnfer my sub.