Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   How does Limited vs. Overland ride? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/how-does-limited-vs-overland-ride-26856.html)

Jeeps 08-09-2011 10:10 AM

How does Limited vs. Overland ride?

I honestly rather get the Non-Lift suspension as I plan to keep this vehicle well past its warranty period and worried about its long-term reliability. Also do not like the wood steering wheel on the Overland. Can anyone comment on the ride difference between the steel suspension and air suspension?

JoeSchmoe007 08-09-2011 10:21 AM

Re: How does Limited vs. Overland ride?

There is a member here who has both:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/wjs81866-4807.html

and if I recall correctly he said air suspension was actually a bit stiffer.

AAAA 08-09-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeps (Post 462634)
I honestly rather get the Non-Lift suspension as I plan to keep this vehicle well past its warranty period and worried about its long-term reliability. Also do not like the wood steering wheel on the Overland. Can anyone comment on the ride difference between the steel suspension and air suspension?

That is why I got Ltd. I have never ridden in an Overland, but my ride is just fine, no bounce... smooth when the road is smooth and not when the road is not!

HEMInator 08-09-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Just FYI--you can buy the lifetime maxcare warranty if you're keeping the car along time and plan to put a bunch of miles on. There are several threads about the warranty on this site. That'll alleviate any concern with anything including the Quadra Lift suspension.

ColdCase 08-09-2011 01:45 PM

I think there is more of a difference between 18 and 20 inch tire ride, but the air will absorb minor road imperfections better and seem to be a tad more stable... but quality of ride is such a subjective thing. I'd suggest test driving each, with same tires, and see what you think. What a tad is to me may be a wide gap to you.

Jeeps 08-09-2011 02:03 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I guess besides the reliability thing, I would assume the Air suspension adds a decent amount of weight with all of its components (compressor, tank, shocks, etc). I am planning to get Limited with Hemi, Tow, LuxII and possibly 20" wheels but undecided at this point.

HemiHog 08-09-2011 04:24 PM

My wife and I drove both last weekend and didn't notice much difference at all between the two. We also prefer the interior of the Limited, so we took a Limited out first, then an Overland, just to see if we thought we'd be missing anything in ride quality versus an Overland and came away surprised just how similar they really were. Still working the deal out, but we will soon be ordering a 2012 Limited with 20" wheels.

Jeeters 08-09-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMInator (Post 462745)
Just FYI--you can buy the lifetime maxcare warranty if you're keeping the car along time and plan to put a bunch of miles on. There are several threads about the warranty on this site. That'll alleviate any concern with anything including the Quadra Lift suspension.

Personally, even with a max care warranty, I'd assume that with long term ownership the day still come that some catastrophic failure with the quadra lift occurs and I'll have to limp home. And with the luck I have, it will happen when I'm out in the boonies.

Red G8R 08-09-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

You have your answer already. If you're worried about reliability of the air suspension and dislike the wood steering wheel, then the Overland is not for you.
Buy the Limited with the options you want.

jeep2011 08-09-2011 07:51 PM

After spending a year with a limited 4x4 with 18's and just now purchasing an overland with 20's and the air suspension. The overland is much smoother and does soak up bumps better. However on some dips in the road the overland has a slight cadillac bounce. The worst part about the air suspension is that you can't fly over the speed humps as the suspension is quick to top out and make a loud bang.

crtc_01 08-09-2011 08:34 PM

I test drove both the overland and limited and chose the overland. The overland ride is way smoother in my opinion. I did notice that when taking a turn with a bump the jeep seems to jump. When there isn't a bump in the turn the jeep is one of the most stable vehicles I have driven. I did get 5yr 100k warranty because of the air ride and adaptive cruise. After the 100k ill go from there. So far 4000 trouble free miles.

Red G8R 08-09-2011 08:41 PM

Tires make more of a difference on ride quality. I have 20" Forteras (36 psi) and 18" Blizzaks (33 psi) and the Forteras are way smoother.