Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Changing Cabin Filter (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/changing-cabin-filter-26863.html)

wjs81866 08-09-2011 01:00 PM

Changing Cabin Filter

For anyone that doesn't already know,

I changed the cabin filter today, it was actually pretty easy.

The filter is located behind the glove compartment

To get to the filter you will have to push in the 2 side tabs on the sides of the compartment. This will allow the box compartment to drop down, there are hinges at the bottom and a wire that will keep the whole thing from dropping.

Once you drop the compartment if you look up in the back you will see the filter behind a blank piece of plastic holding it on.
On the left side there is a tab that you push to remove retainer.

Once this is removed you reach in and pull out the filter, it's about 10x 10" and pretty flimsy.

If you install a new one just reverse process, when you go to push in the new filter due to it being so flimsy it will take a little finesse to get it back in. Try to push the front of it in first on the side and again use some finesse.

Pretty easy now that I have done it. Filter was getting pretty dark and had a little order to it so I was glad I figured it out.

Be aware of the filters they say work for a 2011 on Ebay, those look nothing like to filter I bought at the dealership. Must be for a 2010 maybe.

markp99 08-09-2011 01:55 PM

Re: Changing Cabin Filter

What prompted you to replace??

wjs81866 08-09-2011 04:08 PM

slight order coming from vents, smelled a little like cig smoke but I don't smoke. I could smelll it on the filter when I pulled it out. Now it's gone.

netcoolery 08-09-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjs81866 (Post 462729)
For anyone that doesn't already know,

I changed the cabin filter today, it was actually pretty easy.

The filter is located behind the glove compartment

To get to the filter you will have to push in the 2 side tabs on the sides of the compartment. This will allow the box compartment to drop down, there are hinges at the bottom and a wire that will keep the whole thing from dropping.

Once you drop the compartment if you look up in the back you will see the filter behind a blank piece of plastic holding it on.
On the left side there is a tab that you push to remove retainer.

Once this is removed you reach in and pull out the filter, it's about 10x 10" and pretty flimsy.

If you install a new one just reverse process, when you go to push in the new filter due to it being so flimsy it will take a little finesse to get it back in. Try to push the front of it in first on the side and again use some finesse.

Pretty easy now that I have done it. Filter was getting pretty dark and had a little order to it so I was glad I figured it out.

Be aware of the filters they say work for a 2011 on Ebay, those look nothing like to filter I bought at the dealership. Must be for a 2010 maybe.

This handy info needs to move to the Tech Tips WK2 subforum IMO.

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-09-2011 10:10 PM

dont forget to change them about every year or else you could damage the A/C

moosehead 08-10-2011 11:45 AM

Thanks WJS. +1, I have similar odor and no one smokes in my vehicles either. It's all from summer dust, dirt, and pollen. The engine bay is a good indicator of what your air filter looks like - if the bay is dirty and dusty, time to change out the filter.

dahlberg123 08-10-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 463337)
Thanks WJS. +1, I have similar odor and no one smokes in my vehicles either. It's all from summer dust, dirt, and pollen. The engine bay is a good indicator of what your air filter looks like - if the bay is dirty and dusty, time to change out the filter.

And time to hose down your engine bay, no?

wjs81866 08-10-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 463337)

I'm manic, I wipe down the engine bay constantly..... :D

J13ntv 08-10-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netcoolery (Post 463090)
This handy info needs to move to the Tech Tips WK2 subforum IMO.

:thumbsup:

1200RT-P 08-10-2011 02:39 PM

watching this topic for later.

moosehead 08-10-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahlberg123 (Post 463338)
And time to hose down your engine bay, no?

Yes sir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjs81866 (Post 463365)
I'm manic, I wipe down the engine bay constantly..... :D

We evidently have issues. Whataya use? This is light Simple Green, moderate water spray, wipe, touch Armor All. Your service manager will love you for it.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/a...i/DSC_0318.jpg

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/a...i/DSC_0317.jpg

Cherodude 08-10-2011 08:21 PM

Yeah, I couldn't image moose with a dirty engine bay. Of course, it's a beaut!