Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   New 2011 Jeep Owner Snow Tire Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/new-2011-jeep-owner-snow-tire-question-26894.html)

rayfklift 08-09-2011 09:39 PM

New 2011 Jeep Owner Snow Tire Question

Hi All,

First time Jeep owner - purchased a 2011 Grand Cherokee with 18" wheels.
The question that I have is the dealer said snow tires were not needed for the northern New Jersey winter. We put snow tires on some of the other 4 wheel drive vehicles - S10 Blazers and Trailblazers to get through up to 10" of snow on the ground. Do I put snows on or is the Jeep that much better? If yes how will the blizzaks work? Thanks in advance for you help!

hammick 08-09-2011 09:53 PM

Re: New 2011 Jeep Owner Snow Tire Question

I use Blizzaks on my '08 M3 rear wheel drive and they are incredible. I can plow through deep snow. I am sure the limited slip helps too.

netcoolery 08-09-2011 09:55 PM

There was a fairly long thread about this back about 6 months ago. A lot of good advice (mixed in with a few dunderheads.)

In short, yes Blizzaks will work very well and you will certainly have one of the safest, most snow-worthy vehicles around. Whether or not you need the Blizzaks or could get by with something less (like an M+S tire) along with the Jeeps superior traction control - well .. that engendered quite a debate.

Do a little searching of the forum - you should be able to turn up the thread.

Red G8R 08-10-2011 12:02 AM

First, they should be refered to as Winter tires, designed to function in low temperatures not necessarily for deep snow.
If your temperatures drop below 5 C on a regular basis during winter then you will benefit from winter tires.
I got a set of 18" Blizzaks mounted/Road Force balanced on 18" alloys (hub centric) with sensors from Tire Rack for about $1,250 (if I remember correctly) complete with lug nuts.

AAAA 08-10-2011 06:47 AM

Blizzaks are terrific tires for what they are. They are ice tires. Crashes in winter are much more due to ice (and you get plenty in northern NJ) than deep snow. On the other hand I bought my JGC Ltd. in Feb. 2011... first day had 8" of heavy wet snow and the Latitudes drove as if dry pavement. I have had Blizzaks on fleet cars for years, but have decided to put Michelin LTX M/S 2's on this fall as a permanent tire for the JGC. It is a compromise. I drive carefully. The biggest threat in winter in my area are all the yahoos who drive on nearly bald tires.

Sid Fields 08-10-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netcoolery (Post 463082)
There was a fairly long thread about this back about 6 months ago. A lot of good advice (mixed in with a few dunderheads.)

In short, yes Blizzaks will work very well and you will certainly have one of the safest, most snow-worthy vehicles around. Whether or not you need the Blizzaks or could get by with something less (like an M+S tire) along with the Jeeps superior traction control - well .. that engendered quite a debate.

Do a little searching of the forum - you should be able to turn up the thread.

I followed the Blizzaks debate on some of the other forums.
My question is how are they on cold dry pavement which is what we have in the Northeast most of the time. I am sure there is some compromise with the Blizzaks. How are they with regard to comfort, ride stability and handling , and road noise on dry pavement? There's a good chance I will have them on sand as well. Any thoughts here. Thanks

Technosavant 08-10-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Fields (Post 463226)
I followed the Blizzaks debate on some of the other forums.
My question is how are they on cold dry pavement which is what we have in the Northeast most of the time. I am sure there is some compromise with the Blizzaks. How are they with regard to comfort, ride stability and handling , and road noise on dry pavement? There's a good chance I will have them on sand as well. Any thoughts here. Thanks

They're just fine. I didn't notice any serious issues when I switched to the Blizzaks this past winter. The only thing to keep in mind is that the Blizzaks may be a bit more temperature sensitive than other winter tires due to that multicell compound; warm weather will tear them up a bit more than others (but then, I'm just speculating here based on what I know of the design of the tire). When I switched back to the 20" Forteras, I noted sharper handling, but in general, the ride/handling/braking of the 18" Blizzak wheelset was very acceptable.

I know there's a vocal contingent that claims winter tires are completely unnecessary, and in many conditions they aren't all wrong. But when you have a good layer of ice over everything, their real value comes forth.

jgc4ever 08-10-2011 10:05 AM

I got stuck in my driveway with new Fortera HLs with heavy snow. I have a WK Limited and even in Lo I was stuck and I blame the tires and myself too. I should have either punched it to get through before I was stuck or I should have taken the snow blower to it first (like I usually do). Could have been a ground clearance issue too. Had to shovel out in front and behind each tire. More reason to get a new Overland with Quadra Lift. But when it's so icy that there are multiple accidents and people in the ditch I just call in and take the day off. I could make it in, but I could be hit by someone that doesn't know how to drive or have the proper vehicle/tires for the ice/snow.

AAAA 08-10-2011 10:56 AM

Blizzaks are fine on cold pavement. Some noise as you would expect, but not bad. Only the first 1/2 of the tread are the cold sensitive rubber and therefore new Blizzaks should only be used in cold weather or they will be "eaten up". Once you wear them half down, then they are like any other all season tire.

While no one has anything really great to say about Fortera HL's in the snow, heavy wet snow is no fun. Additionally I do not know how the 4WD system worked in the 2005's, but I'll bet it is not the same computer control as in the 2011's. which IMO is terrific compared to other AWD's.

Technosavant 08-10-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 463290)
But when it's so icy that there are multiple accidents and people in the ditch I just call in and take the day off. I could make it in, but I could be hit by someone that doesn't know how to drive or have the proper vehicle/tires for the ice/snow.

That's the best way to do it, but it isn't feasible for everybody. While I can very easily decide to stay home for a day or two, my wife cannot. She is required to be at work (as a pharmacist, she gets there or it doesn't open). Therefore, I have a good set of winter tires for our vehicles against such eventualities. If possible, I'll take her in (so her vehicle doesn't get ice/snow encrusted), but on occasion that just isn't an option (if I'm out of town). Therefore, both vehicles get them, not just mine.

moosehead 08-10-2011 05:58 PM

OP, seems like top 3 snow oriented tires on this forum are the Blizzaks, Michelin LTX MS2, and Firestone Destination.

If you get snows that stick around in cold temps and it eventually turns into hardpack, and/or ice, go with the Blizzacks. If you go from pavement to snow, to periodic hardpack, then the other two work really well and can stay on year round if you don't want to run two sets of tires. Check out Tire rack consumer ratings. Others like the Terra Grapplers and Hakkapelitas.

FWIW, I run the Firestone Destinations in deep snow, pack, sub zero pavement, and moderate trail and love them even for aggressive driving. YMMV.

Escape 08-10-2011 06:04 PM

Blizzaks = Excellent for strickly winter use. Summer will eat them up.

BGF AT-KO's = Excellent all around use. They work great and go anywhere you want to go.

Nitto INVO's = Excellent for wet/dry road use. Do not use in snow/ice...lol.

Getting rid of those stock tires = Excellent!