Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Rearend or rear suspension clunk/creak (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/rearend-or-rear-suspension-clunk-creak-26901.html)

ClemS4 08-09-2011 10:32 PM

Rearend or rear suspension clunk/creak

Hi everyone, new owner here. Bought my wife a '11 JGC Overland on 7/30 and we are experiencing a clunk/creak coming from the rear end. When driving the vehicle we can hear a distinct creaking/clunk over uneven roads or bumps. I know it's definitely coming from the rear since I had my wife drive while I sat in the back cargo area. I even went so far as to pop the back glass during one of the drives when back there and it was that much more apparent when I hung my head out the back. It seems more like a clunk when driving but a little more like a creak when backing out of the driveway. I believe it's a suspension related issue since it happens when there is some type of articulation of the suspension. It could be something loose but I got under the back end tonight and could not find a visible culprit. The only other thing I can think of is something with the e-brake since we do use it daily as our driveway is on a medium grade hill. I make sure when she parks it that she puts it in Neutral with her foot on the brake, put the e-brake on then let it take up the slack, then put it in park (that way not letting the transmission do the work). Those are my thoughts, any others?

Here are two possible TSBs but our build date was 05 - 2011 so I don't know if these apply...
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1700211.pdf
http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1700310.pdf

Thanks

jp467 08-09-2011 11:56 PM

Re: Rear end or rear suspension clunk/creak

I don't believe there are any tsb's for this problem on a may 11 build. I have a march build overland and I do not have any clunk from the rear. It sounds like something is just loose. Did you open the spare tire compartment to make sure everthing is tight in there? Other than that it might just be a trip to the dealer to check all the bolts in the rear suspension.

ClemS4 08-10-2011 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 463139)
I don't believe there are any tsb's for this problem on a may 11 build. I have a march build overland and I do not have any clunk from the rear. It sounds like something is just loose. Did you open the spare tire compartment to make sure everthing is tight in there? Other than that it might just be a trip to the dealer to check all the bolts in the rear suspension.

I forgot to mention that, yes I pulled everything out of that compartment, including the spare tire. Probably call the dealer this morning.

ClemS4 08-12-2011 09:07 AM

Come to find out, as I thought, it was something that was loose in the suspension. One of the suspension linkages bolts on the passenger side rear was, according to the dealer, "only hand tight". They torqued to the appropriate level and everything is all set. Glad it was an easy fix.

hammer1234 08-12-2011 09:26 AM

Mine is a bit noisy in the rear passenger side over "washboard" bumps...hear it when I'm in the back seat. Guess I'll add checking this to my list for the next service.

jeepin4ever 08-17-2011 03:37 PM

I just had a leaky rear shock replaced that was rattling/clunking.

ClemS4 02-24-2012 01:28 PM

It happened anytime there was any suspenions articulation at that corner, usually at low speeds like backing down our driveway. Well, now some months later the same noise is back. I'm going to pick it back up from the dealer right now. According to them, they are replacing the shock and mounting bracket at that corner. It's currently backordered but they assured me it's not a safety issue. None the less, sooo annoying on a brand new vehicle to have to go back and deal with this multiple times.

Troy Cruise 02-24-2012 10:14 PM

I've noticed this on mine as well but I've been more concerned with my drivetrain shudder to mention it Chrylser. I did have front end components replaced because they wouldn't stay tight. Maybe it's the same scenario? Bolts working themselves loose. This is really a dangerous condition IMO.

ClemS4 04-10-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Cruise (Post 580966)
I've noticed this on mine as well but I've been more concerned with my drivetrain shudder to mention it Chrylser. I did have front end components replaced because they wouldn't stay tight. Maybe it's the same scenario? Bolts working themselves loose. This is really a dangerous condition IMO.

Hi Troy,
I would totally agree, it does sound dangerous. I'm on the verge of submitting this thing to the state under the "lemon law". I wonder if it could be the same scenario. Where do you currently stand with the issues you have been having? I'll post you a link to the new post I'll be making about this shortly.
-Seth

ClemS4 04-10-2012 04:47 PM

Ok, so this is where things stand currently. The Jeep went back to the dealer about 2 weeks ago once the new shock and mount came in. Those components were installed and I picked it up later that day. I get it all the way home and am pulling in the driveway and I hear the same noise again. Obviously the shock/mount assembly was not the issue. A few days later my wife drops it off again at the dealer in the morning and then I get a call around 5pm saying they could not replicate the noise so nothing was done. My wife went to go pick up the Jeep and spoke to the service mgr just before closing and he offered to go out on a test ride with her and they only heard it very faintly. At this point the wife is fuming because she hears it every day. As she is pulling in to the gas station a few miles from the house, the noise is heard clear as day. We recorded the sound via video and emailed it to the dealer. I brought it back up there on Monday and went for a ride with the Quality Mgr and made sure it was a route he would hear the noise on. In fact, the wife and I ventured over the way of the dealership on Easter Sunday and planned out a good route for the test ride the following morning. So the QM did hear the noise VERY distinctly and he agreed that would be incredibly annoying to hear regularly. The QM heads up the techs and is a master mechanic so he assured me he personally along with another tech would take a look at the issue, they know at this point they've got one last shot to get this right. Just got a call back from him personally and they had hooked up the "chassis ears" again and got a better pin point of what they believe the issue to be. They believe it's the rear ball joint so that has now been ordered and hopefully when it comes in this will fix the issue. If it does not fix it, I will be going through the state DOT to have the vehicle replaced via the state lemon law statutes. All and all, by the time the Jeep goes back for the ball joint fix and taking into account the trips up for diagnosis and then a follow up fix, it will have been 7 trips to the dealer for ONE issue. I'm in hopes based on that, if we do have to go the route of the lemon law, it will be a quick replacement.

ClemS4 04-12-2012 04:17 PM

Summary thread of Lemon Law / Buy Back instances that I started yesterday:
http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=40603

Suther 06-24-2012 01:45 PM

Hey all,

Got the rear end clunking/creaking noise as well in my V6 Ltd with 3500mi on. I have the Tow Package as well.

You can hear it on bumpy roads at speeds up to 45 mph, if you are faster than the road noise kind a blocks it.

Looking at the Aussie Jeep Forum it could be a problem with the self leveling shocks. They state there is no solution in sight as the noise is a normal operation of the valve in the shocks stated by Jeep.
One guy recognizes that driving in rain diminishes the noise and an other put some noise-deadening material to the rear fender which was kind of successful.

Anyone else with self leveling shocks recognizing this noise?

Alex