Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Scratches in chrome (window trim and rear hatch piece) - can it be polished out? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/scratches-in-chrome-window-trim-and-rear-hatch-piece-can-it-be-polished-out-26926.html)

SixZeroFour 08-10-2011 05:44 PM

Scratches in chrome (window trim and rear hatch piece) - can it be polished out?

I am wondering if slight scratches in the chrome window trim and rear hatch "Jeep" section can be polished out or not?

If they can be polished does anyone have a product they can recommend for best results?

Cheers

DAVY27 08-10-2011 10:26 PM

Re: Scratches in chrome (window trim and rear hatch piece) - can it be polished out?

Meguiars ultimate compound. works best if you have a DA/PC

SixZeroFour 08-11-2011 10:22 AM

Re: Scratches in chrome (window trim and rear hatch piece) - can it be polished out?

Thanks for the reply... I did try a bit of Ultimate Compound but only by hand - I was worried that hitting it with the PC might be too much and could potentially damage the chrome as it seems like the back piece especially is more plastic than metal. It did help somewhat by hand so maybe I'll give the PC a shot.

BuckeyeSRT 08-11-2011 03:32 PM

Does your fingernail catch on the scratch (Forgive me Ted). If it does you might be able to reduce it but not eliminate it.

lll2for3lll 08-11-2011 03:34 PM

Try painting them to color match. :thumbsup:

SixZeroFour 08-11-2011 03:54 PM

They are very light surface scratches, nowhere near deep enough to catch a fingernail on but I still cant seem to get rid of them completely with the porter cable. I'm worried that if I attack it any harder it may start pulling the chrome itself off.

SixZeroFour 08-11-2011 04:10 PM

... so that seems to be the case. I hit the area again and if you look VERY closely it appears it may be starting to polish the chrome right off. Thankfully you can't notice anything unless you face is pressed up to the tailgate so I'm going to just leave it alone.

robpp 08-11-2011 04:16 PM

yeah that chrome is VERY thin.....i think you are better trying to fill the fine lines with a glaze then to try and remove them.......

6t6gto 08-11-2011 08:05 PM

They may be anodized.......nearly impossible if so.They would have to be stripped and replated.........JB.