Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Locked keys in car tonight (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/locked-keys-in-car-tonight-26934.html)

kaflyboy 08-10-2011 07:44 PM

Locked keys in car tonight

Pulled into garage tonight, closed door on jeep. Unloaded road bike off back of jeep, put in garage. noticed interior light was on. Walked to jeep, opened driver door, closed it. Lights flashed horn beeped. Went to open door, locked.

My keys were in the door handle inside the jeep just behind the lock unlock button.

My guess was the sensor couldn't tell if the key fob was inside the jeep or outside. Anyone else had this problem.

Trevorj 08-11-2011 12:15 AM

Re: Locked keys in car tonight

Hi

Good to know where not to put your key

12167jeep 08-11-2011 07:57 AM

Ive been cleaning my cay and leaned in to turn on the radio with the key in my pocket and sometimes it says key not detected. Never had it lock on me though. Im thinking about changing about the battery and see what happens.

77Cherokee 08-11-2011 08:42 AM

It shouldn't lock by itself. You have to either press the button on the handle or use the fob button to lock it when you are outside of the vehicle. Perhaps you accidentally hit the interior lock button while getting out and the system thought the fob was outside. :confused:

Technosavant 08-11-2011 09:35 AM

There was another thread on here a while back where the same thing happened. Seems that when the fob is in a door pocket the sensors have a hard time determining those four to five inches of distance that place it inside or outside the vehicle.

If you need to leave the fob in the vehicle for whatever reason, just leave it in the center console or center cupholders.

bigpanda 08-11-2011 10:04 AM

It was me who started that thread. Exact same thing happened to me and Chrysler needs to work on this issue.

One more thing. While the engine's running, if you take the key outside and bring it back in, your WK2 won't recognize the key is back in. It will still make that beeping sound.

My company car is Hyundai Genesis and when I tried same thing, car recognized key's in the car and wouldn't lock the car. And when brought the key back in, that beeping sound went off.

SixZeroFour 08-11-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpanda (Post 463961)
One more thing. While the engine's running, if you take the key outside and bring it back in, your WK2 won't recognize the key is back in. It will still make that beeping sound.

Strange, my Jeep beeps when the key leaves the vehicle (if the drivers door is shut) and then stops once I return.

I also tested the same scenario of leaving the key in the interior door card and it would not let me lock the keys in as much as I tried. It did however let me lock it if I cracked the door even a tiny bit - are you guys sure the exterior lock button was not triggered by accident as you were closing the door but just before it actually closed?

Edit: I was able to lock the key in using this method (hit the button just as the door is closing). The interior sensor must override the door sensor while the door is completely closed, but once it's open even a bit it starts using the door sensor which would pick up the signal and allow you to lock etc. It's unfortunate it happened this way but I can't see how else they could design the system. If both sensors were always active, someone could walk up when you had the jeep running and unlock the doors from the outside.

Andrew Klossner 08-11-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12167jeep (Post 463885)
Ive been cleaning my car and leaned in to turn on the radio with the key in my pocket and sometimes it says key not detected. Never had it lock on me though. I'm thinking about changing the battery and see what happens.

I wrote the following but it's not true. See my later post: It won't help. The battery is used only when you press a button. Key detection involves an RFID chip in the key that doesn't need power.

There's a software bug that can cause this problem. It's fixed by TSB 08-024-11 rev. A.

plynn7 08-11-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpanda (Post 463961)
One more thing. While the engine's running, if you take the key outside and bring it back in, your WK2 won't recognize the key is back in. It will still make that beeping sound

I do not have this problem, I leave the car running all the time when I run into a store and my wife is still sitting there, she says the jeep keeps beeping the the key is not detected, but once I return with the key the beeping stops.

bigpanda 08-11-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plynn7 (Post 464138)
I do not have this problem, I leave the car running all the time when I run into a store and my wife is still sitting there, she says the jeep keeps beeping the the key is not detected, but once I return with the key the beeping stops.

In my cae, I was sitting in the car with car running and gave the key to my son outside through the opened window. Then warning sound beeps. But when my son gave meback the key to inside, car didn't recognize the key was back in the car.

12167jeep 08-11-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpanda (Post 464213)
In my cae, I was sitting in the car with car running and gave the key to my son outside through the opened window. Then warning sound beeps. But when my son gave meback the key to inside, car didn't recognize the key was back in the car.

Thats weird....i leave my wife in the car to run into the store and then she bitches about it beeping when i get back, but ive never had a problem when i get back in.

Snipe315 08-14-2011 04:03 PM

I've seen threads about this here and on another forum.

Personally, I do not like the Keyless-Enter-N-Go feature so I've turned it off.

I only want the vehicle to open when I press the Unlock Button, not when I walk up to or by my Jeep.

:slapfight:

So far, this has helped me always remember my keys.

So far

:(