Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

2012 6 Speed feedback request

9K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  sined240 
#1 ·
I figured by now since some members have taking delivery of their 2012 Overland 4x4 HEMI's would some some feedback to report with how the new tranny and torque converter feels compared to the 2011. Can some of you that have taken delivery pass along some noticeable notes on the tranny difference that you have experienced?

I'm still on the fence whether I wait out my 2012 order or just pickup an leftover 2011 and get the ELSD which sounds like is now not included with the Overland 4x4 V8 for 2012.

#2 ·
Um, there is not difference int he transmission as it is the same as the 2011, just reprogrammed. The latest Hemi TSB will give you the 2012 features as a software update. Read the other threads about it.

#3 ·
I disagree. Nothing in the other threads have convinced me that the transmissions are the same. A 2012 owner just showed a photo of his EVIC showing gear 6 and my updated 2011 still says 5. At cruising speeds in town, there is no RPM change on mine switching between D to 5 to D. I've tried this again yesterday up to 75 km/hr and no RPM change as others have suggested.

#4 · (Edited)
I just purchased a June 2011 build Overland Hemi yesterday. Last night I played around with the the transmission shifting. At speeds over 62 mph if I shift from D to 5 I get an RPM increase. Don't try this when going uphill or you will already be in the lower gear.

I haven't driven a 2012 but for the 100 miles I have driven my 2011 I am thrilled with the transmission.

#11 ·
I just purchased a June 2011 build Overland Hemi yesterday. Last night I played around with the the transmission shifting. At speeds over 62 mph if I shift from D to 5 I get an RPM increase. Don't try this when going uphill or you will already be in the higher gear.
Also,when you goto D to 5 -- MDS turns off, You'll can get a lil roar and a rpm blip sometimes when this happens.

#5 ·
I guess a good question would be at speeds around say 65 mph what RPM is the 2012 V8 6 speed doing compared to the 2011. That would tell use if maybe the gearing is possibly a little different at least on the high end. Hopefully, the few people on here that did get their 2012's will commit on this topic. It would help me make my decision about dropping my order and getting a leftover or just waiting it out for the 2012.

#9 · (Edited)
I don't think you can correlate a manual transmission (where you know for sure what gear set is selected) to what the 45RFE, 545RFe or, what is it now, 645RFE?... with all their over drives and under drive combinations. The transmission/computer seems to indicate 5 for a couple different ratios.

My early May 2011 model does increase rpms by about 2-300 when taping out of D to 5 at about 70mph. If I recall went from something like 2400 rpm to 2700 rpm.

Hmmm... maybe that was the real reason for the 1 May price increase, they started installing 6 speeds :).... I jest of course.

Is is a very valid question on whether the 2012 transmission runs better/worse than the 2011 up to date with TSBs, however... regardless of the marketing.

It would be nice to hear how the 2012 operators manual describes the 6 speed operation.

#12 ·
I can't believe the months of hype over the new "6 Speed" was essentially marketing BS. Jeep should be ashamed that they are duping people into thinking it is a new transmission. You get a SLIGHTLY modified ratio for second gear.... big deal.

#14 · (Edited)
Everything I have seen actually shows that the ratios are the same as in 2011. From what I can tell the only difference is that the initial downshift on the 2012's does nothing other than display a "6", no actual downshift. So after down clicking twice you get a "5" and a downshift just as you would in a 2011 on the first downshift. I prefer having my transmission downshift on the first click. The truth is that with the latest TSB, any way you look at it the transmission on the 2011's is fantastic, always in the right gear and quick to respond.

I don't think that anyone other than the engineering people at Jeep really know exactly what (if any) the differences are between the trans on the 2011's and 2012's. Everything that I have heard is truly speculative. My opinion is just that if the twos transmissions are mechanically identical that Jeep would allow for software updates on older models rather than supporting two different configurations. Perhaps there really is a new torque convertor though ? I also wouldn't trust any dealerships opinion on the differences, the people working at those places generally no much less about options and changes than most of the people on this forum.

#16 ·
Hi,

I have a 5-speed Hemi, and whilst medioeval compared to the bmw steptronic I used to own, it does its job.

Surfing the web, these are the key differences between the old 5 speeder and the new 6 speeder I found:

5-Speed:
There are two 2nd gears, one for going up the gears and one for dropping down. Why? Who knows.
There are two overdrives, one on 4th and on 5th gear. Which is absolute nonsense and antiquated, adds weight and confuses the system.
No manual selection of gears, only a limiter to the highest gear to be selected

6-Speed:
There are 6 fwd gears. Simple. No double 2nds, no overdrives.
Not clear if the manual selection works like in the Tiptronics and Steptronics.

The reason why users claim that going from D to 5 increases the revs is due to the engine dropping the overdrive in 5th.

In fact, marketeers could have branded the old automatic an "8 gear transmissions".

Daniele

#18 ·
Based on what has been reported on the forums there is little to no difference between the two. Look at post #21 by xj31 (link below) - right in the literature from chrysler it says the EVIC will display as if it were a 6 speed but it is the same tranny.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=26631&highlight=6sp

#19 · (Edited)
I will get some information on my 2012 6 speed soon. I live in Los Angeles and do not commute on the freeway nor like to drive on it because of traffic (can't go fast enough in traffic anyways). I am headed on a little trip this weekend so I will gather some information on how the transmission reacts.

Here are the things I will note:
- 65 MPH
* RPMS for D, 6 and 5.
- 70 MPH
* RPMS for D, 6 and 5.

Let me know if there is anything else you want confirmed.

Reactions: J13ntv
#21 ·
I will get some information on my 2012 6 speed soon. I live in Los Angeles and do not commute on the freeway nor like to drive on it because of traffic (can't go fast enough in traffic anyways). I am headed on a little trip this weekend so I will gather some information on how the transmission reacts.

Here are the things I will note:
- 65 MPH
* RPMS for D, 6 and 5.
- 70 MPH
* RPMS for D, 6 and 5.

Let me know if there is anything else you want confirmed.
So there is a 6 and a D? I thought 6 might be D. I think if there's a 6 and a D they would market it as a 7 speed.

#25 ·
I'm still on the fence whether I wait out my 2012 order or just pickup an leftover 2011 and get the ELSD which sounds like is now not included with the Overland 4x4 V8 for 2012.
No rear ELSD in 2012 V8 Overland? Is this correct? How will QDII work then? I know in 2011 there was no front ELSD, only in rear. Does anyone have more info regarding this? Thanks!

#26 ·
Its still there, you just need to have your 4x4 V8 overland equiped with either the summit or off road adventure II group options. Its no longer bundled with the v8...you need to have one of those two other options...

#27 ·
Its still there, you just need to have your 4x4 V8 overland equiped with either the summit or off road adventure II group options. Its no longer bundled with the v8...you need to have one of those two other options...
Thanks bromhead! So regular V8 overland won't come with QDII, correct? Looks like front and rear will be all ABS controlled, like all other crossovers...

#30 ·
What are you talking about? I don't know the answers, but I saw video of a Durango AWD sliding all over the place on ice. I don't think a 2011 or 2012 Limited 4x4 with Qudra Trac II has that problem. Not even close to any crossover.
I was just little unhappy because I want black interior, 20" wheels and QDII. Jeep is taking nice future away and making my future purchase more difficult. Sorry I didn't want to change the original thread subject. Done!

#33 ·
I have the exact same situation. I was contacted by email by Chrysler just yesterday asking about my purchasing decision because I requested information a few months ago. I told them exactly why I haven't purchased including mentioning this new problem of not being able to get a black interior, 20" (polished) wheels and with Quadra Drive II.

#31 · (Edited)
For comparison, a May build 2011 (should be post TSB) +/- 50 rpm downshifting

starting from 35MPH
While coasting, tap to left displays 5, no change in rpm (1000), applying throttle will cause some shifting (1500-2000 rpm), but display still indicates 5 as top gear.

tap down to 3 and maintain speed- 2000rpm
tap to 2 - 2300
tap to 1 - 4100 (seems same as above)

downshifting from 70 mph starting in D at 1700 rpm
tap to 5 maintain speed - initially 2200 then drops to 2000 (probably something to do with torque converter locking up)
tap to 4 2700... then got busy with traffic on this closed course

75mph in D is 1900rpm

That sounds like six ratios available on down shifting (EVIC labeled D-5-4-3-2-1), plus some variation due to TQ lock... but I dunno.

If you divide the 70 mph rpms by 2 to make it equivalent to the 35mph rpm numbers for a given speed, the motor turned 4100, 2300, 2000, 1350, 1100, and 850* rpms..

*this rpm (D) may also had TQ locked, so apples to apples rpm may closer to 950 rpm w/o TQ lock.

#35 · (Edited)
I've found that Allpar is a good source of reliable information. On the topic of the 65RFE:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/545RFE.html
"The next six speed derived from the 545RFE was the 65RFE, initially used with V8 versions of the Ram 1500, Durango, and Grand Cherokee. Pickuptrucks.com correctly wrote that the 65RFE will does not have six forward gears in regular automatic mode, only in ERS/AutoStick mode; it is essentially a software and name change, which allows people to reach the “prime” gear via ERS rather than kickdown."

The gear ratios on that page are also listed for both the 545RFE (2011 WK2 Hemi) and 65RFE (2012 WK2 Hemi) and they are the same for both.

Hopefully this helps everyone out? I'll be sitting here waiting for shipment of my 2012 WK2.....

#36 · (Edited)
Since the page states there was some speculating on the 2012 six speed, some here was not taking the site as confirming anything.

"A six speed version is expected in 2012; in addition to using all gears in normal acceleration rather than reserving one for kickdown, some are speculating that it may have different ratios."

#38 ·
The 2012s V8s don't come equipped with the ELS rear axle, less weight so more mpg :) ....

It may have more to do with a more efficient torque converter and tweaks.

#39 ·
ZX900B/ColdCase....I have a 2011 (Mid may build 5.7 Laredo X) and my window sticker says 14 city, 20 hwy....am getting about 14 in town now with 1200 miles on it...about to do 1st oil change....Sept 2nd road trip coming up, will report hwy mpg...Oh, and at 75mph am turning around 1900 rpm in "D"....

#42 ·
It feels good. I didn't spend tons of time in a 2011 so I don't have much to compare it to. Seems smooth and always kicks down when I need to pass. Sport mode holds the gears nicely up into the higher RPMs and no issues so far.

#43 · (Edited)
If I'm interpreting everything correctly:

1) 2011's and 2012's have the same exact useable six gear ratios for manual shifting
2) 2011's and 2012's both only use five gears on the way up when not manually shifting (with a different 2nd on the way up and down)
3) 2011's show 1,2,3,4,5,D on the dash (all of which have different ratios)
4) 2012's show 1,2,3,4,5,6,D (but D&6 are the same gear)

Basically everything is identical except that on 2012's when at highway speed the first manual downshift does nothing other than show a "6" instead of a "5" ?

If that's the case, I prefer my 2011, I want the car to downshift when I downshift without having to do it twice.

Am I missing something ?

#44 ·
Nope. Only difference is possibly a new torque converter yet the HEMI price increased by $200 on the Overlands and the ELSD and QDII were removed from the Overland V8 and require the purchase of the increased $995 Off Road Adventure Group II package unless you're ordering a Summit. Gotta love it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.