Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   A/C settings question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/a-c-settings-question-27013.html)

nlowell 08-12-2011 06:44 PM

A/C settings question
 
I tried to search but couldn't find anything related. On a road-trip in the new WK2 and I noticed that even if I turn "off" the A/C by pushing the A/C button, it continues to blow cold air. It's 98 outside so I know that is not possible without A/C. It's in manual mode, not automatic. Is this normal? Is there no way to turn off the A/C?

IndyBob 08-12-2011 07:11 PM

Re: A/C settings question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nlowell (Post 464812)
I tried to search but couldn't find anything related. On a road-trip in the new WK2 and I noticed that even if I turn "off" the A/C by pushing the A/C button, it continues to blow cold air. It's 98 outside so I know that is not possible without A/C. It's in manual mode, not automatic. Is this normal? Is there no way to turn off the A/C?

I noticed that also. I found that if I have the Sync turned on then it will shut down. If the Sync is off then it seems to stay on.

jeep2011 08-12-2011 08:53 PM

Re: A/C settings question
 
Do you have it on AUTO, Bi-Level, or Defrost? If that is the case even if you turn off the AC button it will continue to run.

If you have it on manual fan, face vents only and turn off the AC it will turn off.

Andrew Klossner 08-13-2011 12:40 AM

Re: A/C settings question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 464850)
Do you have it on AUTO, Bi-Level, or Defrost? If that is the case even if you turn off the AC button it will continue to run.

That's not quite right. If AUTO is turned off, then panel and bi-level are the two modes in which the system won't engage the A/C. In the other modes -- mix, floor, or defrost -- "the A/C can be turned off, but the A/C system shall remain active to prevent fogging of the windows" according to the owner's manual.

nlowell 08-13-2011 03:07 AM

Re: A/C settings question
 
Interesting....thanks all!

jeep2011 08-13-2011 10:02 AM

Re: A/C settings question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 464932)
mix, floor, or defrost -- "the A/C can be turned

Mix and Bi-Level is the same thing, LOL

chuckbernard 08-13-2011 10:50 AM

Re: A/C settings question
 
I can never get mine to turn off either. I'll try switching it around as suggested but I'm pretty sure I've tried all of those things before. It is controlled by software so who knows what kind of bugs are in the system?

Andrew Klossner 08-13-2011 12:35 PM

Re: A/C settings question
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 465002)
Mix and Bi-Level is the same thing, LOL

No they're not. Bi-level sends air to the panel and floor outlets. Mix sends air to the floor, defrost, and side window outlets. Here's page 322 of the owner's manual which shows the icons.

Celly 09-19-2011 12:54 PM

Re: A/C settings question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyBob (Post 464822)
I noticed that also. I found that if I have the Sync turned on then it will shut down. If the Sync is off then it seems to stay on.

I can confirm this... I noticed this this weekend... I was like "What the shit does the Sync Button Do"?

So, checked the Owners Manual:

14. SYNC Button Press and release to control the temperature setting for both zones from the driver temperature control.


Umm, okay that clearly makes sense.. So, pretty much, you need 'Sync' on to have control of HVAC, otherwise, it ignores you.

AAAA 09-19-2011 12:59 PM

Re: A/C settings question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Celly (Post 486985)
I can confirm this... I noticed this this weekend... I was like "What the shit does the Sync Button Do"?

So, checked the Owners Manual:

14. SYNC Button Press and release to control the temperature setting for both zones from the driver temperature control.


Umm, okay that clearly makes sense.. So, pretty much, you need 'Sync' on to have control of HVAC, otherwise, it ignores you.

Simply put the sync button allows both driver's side and passenger's side temp to be controlled the same by driver on driver's side temperature control.

barl0 09-20-2011 01:17 AM

Re: A/C settings question
 
Man - i guess I'm not crazy - I've had this truck for 2 weeks and cannot seem to disable the ac unless it's just turned off altogether. I do not use it often, as i merely cruise the coastline this time of year. Normal air temp / vent outside is good enough, Was going to take it in next week.

Zman 10-01-2011 11:37 PM

Re: A/C settings question
 
Have you had any luck in having your A/C issue resolved? I have had the same issue with my Overland. Cannot draw in outside fresh air without the air being cooled by the A/C. That is cannot disengage the A/C in manual mode while operating the dash vents. Have brought it to 3 dealers and none have an answer. They don't know how the system was designed to operate so they end up reading my owners manual and "interpreting". I have asked them to contact engineering and each has refused. I have also written to Jeep and waisted my time. One dealer had the nerve to tell me "if you don't want the A/C to operate shut down/shut off the complete system".


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community