Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   ABS ESP BAS lights (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/abs-esp-bas-lights-27059.html)

misfit77 08-14-2011 01:36 AM

ABS ESP BAS lights

Here is a good one.

I was trying to trace the wires to the fog lights and I disconnected a huge connector next to the battery. I had the power off, but did not disconnect the battery.

After reconnecting the connector, the engine starts and after a few seconds the ABS, ESP, BAS and traction control logo come on. Engine runs fine, but no cruise control.

Disconnecting the battery for an hour did not help.

Now, I am sure nothing is wrong. Is this something that a handheld unit from Autozone can clear?

2005 WK 3.6L 4x4

misfit77 08-14-2011 02:03 PM

Re: ABS ESP BAS lights

btt

Scottina06 08-14-2011 03:51 PM

disconnect the negative and push on the brake pedal a couple of times...

double check the harness you unplugged too.

misfit77 08-14-2011 04:01 PM

I will give it a try.
the harness is hard to get wrong...its a big fancy one that uses a lever to lock it into place.

the autoplace's readers don't clear ABS codes. They only sell the one I need($200). I rather spend the money at the dealer and get my tire size corrected and the Fuel Economy TSB

Scottina06 08-14-2011 04:03 PM

my guess is you caused the codes by unplugging whatever that was

misfit77 08-14-2011 06:38 PM

Without a doubt it was from unplugging.
There is nothing wrong mechanically.

I had the ignition off, but I guess that wasn't good enough.

Scottina06 08-14-2011 06:50 PM

You unplugged the main body harness...so you need to resett the ecu

misfit77 08-14-2011 07:08 PM

Reset ...i assume that is a Dealer thing.

Also I was reading that in someones 08 that the error codes never went away, just the lights/

Scottina06 08-14-2011 07:09 PM

nope...you can pull the negative off the battery and pump the brake pedal sevral times

Scottina06 08-14-2011 07:11 PM

wait...you have a 3.7...that means your tcm is seperate from the ecu. You may need to have it cleared or have some driving cycles for it to clear. Check with 2005JGC(andrew) He's a Jeep tech and can help you more with this.

2005JGC 08-14-2011 07:36 PM

I would check all the connections in that connector, disconnect the battery, pull it back apart then pull on each individual wire from the back side of the connector, these heavy duty connectors are great for weatherproofing and connection security, but it is amazing how easily pins that arent lined up perfectly can break the retainer tab inside of the connector and push a pin out instead of engaging it.

I typically like to disconnect the battery and touch the + and - cable ends together, this will help to drain any electron storage devices of their power.

Ultimately its hard to say, I can say the obvious, your CC isnt working because of whatever is causing the lights, be it a code from the initial disconnect or other. I would be slightly more helpful in this area if I worked in the aftermarket as currently I hook up the witech and know instantly if its a stored or active code and can attempt to clear at the press of a button and dont have to deal with figuring out how to clear non federally regulated modules. Typically your abs concerns will have lights turned off when the signal of whatever is missing is recieved (following a key cycle), example, I cleaned my steering angle sensor and lubed it for a squeek while turning, following this cleaning I had a SAS internal failure code that gave me all the lights and the evic said "service electronic brake system". I drove it about 3 days with the lights coming and going until they went away completely and have yet to return, moral of the story, dont spray crap in your 700 dollar SAS/clockspring, but also indicating that it should be off if there actually isnt a problem.

I also know of some wire chaffing issues in the harness just below the battery (over the frame rail) and maybe your movement of the harness finally chaffed through the insulation on something

misfit77 08-14-2011 10:51 PM

Tried removing negative and pumping brakes...no luck.
I do hear the pumping activating after connecting the battery.

Checked for bent or pushed pins. No luck.

To the dealership I go.