Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   another annoying what should i do thread (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/another-annoying-what-should-i-do-thread-27079.html)

bromhead 08-14-2011 02:22 PM

another annoying what should i do thread
 
Ok, so i thought i would hopefully not waste everyones time with another what should i do thread:

The situation:
I preordered a 2012 4x4 overland. Description in my signature.
who knows when it will be delivered Price 1,200 below invoice...so around 42.8 + taxes

As we know, the 2011's have great deals as well as a lower msrp. You can get the same 2011 configuration for about $2,600 under invoice via USAA..around $40,200 or so. Plus i think there is another 1k in rebates. After reading some of the related threads, i decided to go looking for a 2011.

Trouble is, i can not find the above configuration, even if i switch to silver exterior. The limiting factor appears to be the ORAGII...

Anway, my options:

1. Wait for my 2012. Its in PR status, maybe i will get it in 5 or 6 weeks. I save 1-2 car payments, so thats another 1,200 in my pocket (on the front end ). I get exactly what i want, with a marginally higher resale value as its a 2012. Plus MAYBE the tranny is something other than just a firmware upgrade...

2. Get a 2011 with everything i want except the ORAGII and then buy the options for that package alacarte and install them myself.
Tires and wheels 2k (my guess, 200 dollars for each wheel, 200 for each tire, 5 sets).
Skid plates and tow hooks $800 (per mopar: $93 for transfer case, $93 for front axel, $264 for fuel tank, $165 each for two tow hooks...i think thats right)
Trail Ready Badge $?
So, 2,800 extra (roughly). Sure i could sell the 20's if i found the right buyer, but I have usually not had much look doing that. That 3k with tax would eat up any savings...and while i could get the true AT's i want, it doesn't seem worth it.

3. l can find the 2011 i want, if i don't mind the ACC option. Thats about 1,300 for something i don't really want or need...but, i would still be ahead of the game in terms of savings, at least at the front end. The one problem i have is the sensor. Perhaps i have it wrong, but is the ACC sensor/camera not at the lowest part of the car; the front air dam? Aren't i going to rip that thing off, or damage it, the first time i go off roading and have a tough approach angle? What happens if i take off the air dam...even less protection? It just seems like a very poor choice for someone who will take their car off road. Maybe i have it wrong. Please educate me.

So, given the cards, i think i am going to stand still, and wait for my car. I don't mind the price (and i can stomach waiting...barely), but i also don't like walking away from the fantastic deals, and lower msrp, of the current 2011's.

Comments, observations? Anyone pissed they are reading essentially the same thread that has been kicked around a few times already?

Cheers!

rovinrail 08-14-2011 02:45 PM

Re: another annoying what should i do thread
 
Coming off a long highway drive on a new 2011 with the ACC, I think it's worth its weight in gold... and that's not even using the cruise control part.

The blind-spot warnings are spot-on perfect, and frankly should be a required safety item. I'm sold on the ACC just for that.

jgc4ever 08-14-2011 02:52 PM

Re: another annoying what should i do thread
 
Wait for your 2012. It has everything you want, and nothing you don't and you'll have a 2012 instead of a 2011. Seems obvious. You'll make up the price on the back end.

Smooth1 08-14-2011 03:22 PM

Re: another annoying what should i do thread
 
Spearhead locating a 2011 with everything you want, minus the ORAGII in a color combo that you like, and then negotiate the crap out of them and see where you end up. If you can't get a deal you like, then you have the 2012 deal still sitting there. But the key is looking for the one you want. This late in the year it's just as good to purchase an 11' and take the 15k free miles. And I still see alot of 2011 GC's on the lots yet.

HEMInator 08-14-2011 09:37 PM

Re: another annoying what should i do thread
 
Brom,

Hey man here's a few options the way I see it.

1) There is that one in Austin (South Point Jeep) that has what you want (4X4, V8, RHR, ACC) but it's Blackberry Pearl with Light Frost Beige. If you're open to that color combo, you'll get everything you want (and it's a pre 5/2 build so it has the original $41,910 base price and $780 destination charge).

2) Find one you want that has everything except the ORAG II and negotiate the skid plates and tow hooks as part of the deal. That would leave you only shy of the badge which I'm sure you'll be able to get for under $40 through either Mopar, Jeep, ebay, etc. As for the tires and wheels, you could work a trade with the dealer. In other words, tell him/her you want 18"s and not the 20"s it comes with. In that case, since the 20s are worth more, you might be able to get them to just swap. I think with the 2012s hitting the lot, a dealer wouldn't lose a sale over swapping your stock 20s for 18s and adding skid plates and tow hooks. They are easy install parts.

3) Buy one you want without ORAG II and look to swap your 20s for someone here with 18s (shouldn't have too much trou

Also, I know you're saying you'd save two months work of car payments based on when you think your 2012 would come in but remember, even though that's money saved now, you'll also finish your payments 2 months earlier with the 2011s and the time value of money difference in 3-5 years isn't gonna be that substantial.

Let me know what you find out man...




Quote:

Originally Posted by bromhead (Post 465604)
Ok, so i thought i would hopefully not waste everyones time with another what should i do thread:

The situation:
I preordered a 2012 4x4 overland. Description in my signature.
who knows when it will be delivered Price 1,200 below invoice...so around 42.8 + taxes

As we know, the 2011's have great deals as well as a lower msrp. You can get the same 2011 configuration for about $2,600 under invoice via USAA..around $40,200 or so. Plus i think there is another 1k in rebates. After reading some of the related threads, i decided to go looking for a 2011.

Trouble is, i can not find the above configuration, even if i switch to silver exterior. The limiting factor appears to be the ORAGII...

Anway, my options:

1. Wait for my 2012. Its in PR status, maybe i will get it in 5 or 6 weeks. I save 1-2 car payments, so thats another 1,200 in my pocket (on the front end ). I get exactly what i want, with a marginally higher resale value as its a 2012. Plus MAYBE the tranny is something other than just a firmware upgrade...

2. Get a 2011 with everything i want except the ORAGII and then buy the options for that package alacarte and install them myself.
Tires and wheels 2k (my guess, 200 dollars for each wheel, 200 for each tire, 5 sets).
Skid plates and tow hooks $800 (per mopar: $93 for transfer case, $93 for front axel, $264 for fuel tank, $165 each for two tow hooks...i think thats right)
Trail Ready Badge $?
So, 2,800 extra (roughly). Sure i could sell the 20's if i found the right buyer, but I have usually not had much look doing that. That 3k with tax would eat up any savings...and while i could get the true AT's i want, it doesn't seem worth it.

3. l can find the 2011 i want, if i don't mind the ACC option. Thats about 1,300 for something i don't really want or need...but, i would still be ahead of the game in terms of savings, at least at the front end. The one problem i have is the sensor. Perhaps i have it wrong, but is the ACC sensor/camera not at the lowest part of the car; the front air dam? Aren't i going to rip that thing off, or damage it, the first time i go off roading and have a tough approach angle? What happens if i take off the air dam...even less protection? It just seems like a very poor choice for someone who will take their car off road. Maybe i have it wrong. Please educate me.

So, given the cards, i think i am going to stand still, and wait for my car. I don't mind the price (and i can stomach waiting...barely), but i also don't like walking away from the fantastic deals, and lower msrp, of the current 2011's.

Comments, observations? Anyone pissed they are reading essentially the same thread that has been kicked around a few times already?

Cheers!


77Cherokee 08-14-2011 09:58 PM

Re: another annoying what should i do thread
 
You've already done the research and ordered the exact car that you want, and it will come to you eventually. You have already negotiated your price and will not have to go through it all again. Yes, you could save up to $2000 on a 2011 but will probably lose most of that when it is time to sell or trade it in. IMHO you should wait it out. :whistle:

bromhead 08-14-2011 10:43 PM

Re: another annoying what should i do thread
 
Thanks for all the feedback guys, especially Hemi for actuatly linking to a car...unfortunatley, i think the ACC is a no go due to the position of the sensor. I actually talked to one of my local guys, told them what i wanted and they are going to talk to the parts department and see if they can help me. Still leaning towards just waiting it out. By the way, its about 800 bucks transportation fees if i find one on east coast and want to ship it to San Diego...thats ugly...

Cherokee4X4 08-15-2011 12:11 AM

Re: another annoying what should i do thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bromhead (Post 465604)
Ok, so i thought i would hopefully not waste everyones time with another what should i do thread:

The situation:
I preordered a 2012 4x4 overland. Description in my signature.
who knows when it will be delivered Price 1,200 below invoice...so around 42.8 + taxes

As we know, the 2011's have great deals as well as a lower msrp. You can get the same 2011 configuration for about $2,600 under invoice via USAA..around $40,200 or so. Plus i think there is another 1k in rebates. After reading some of the related threads, i decided to go looking for a 2011.

Trouble is, i can not find the above configuration, even if i switch to silver exterior. The limiting factor appears to be the ORAGII...

Anway, my options:

1. Wait for my 2012. Its in PR status, maybe i will get it in 5 or 6 weeks. I save 1-2 car payments, so thats another 1,200 in my pocket (on the front end ). I get exactly what i want, with a marginally higher resale value as its a 2012. Plus MAYBE the tranny is something other than just a firmware upgrade...

2. Get a 2011 with everything i want except the ORAGII and then buy the options for that package alacarte and install them myself.
Tires and wheels 2k (my guess, 200 dollars for each wheel, 200 for each tire, 5 sets).
Skid plates and tow hooks $800 (per mopar: $93 for transfer case, $93 for front axel, $264 for fuel tank, $165 each for two tow hooks...i think thats right)
Trail Ready Badge $?
So, 2,800 extra (roughly). Sure i could sell the 20's if i found the right buyer, but I have usually not had much look doing that. That 3k with tax would eat up any savings...and while i could get the true AT's i want, it doesn't seem worth it.

3. l can find the 2011 i want, if i don't mind the ACC option. Thats about 1,300 for something i don't really want or need...but, i would still be ahead of the game in terms of savings, at least at the front end. The one problem i have is the sensor. Perhaps i have it wrong, but is the ACC sensor/camera not at the lowest part of the car; the front air dam? Aren't i going to rip that thing off, or damage it, the first time i go off roading and have a tough approach angle? What happens if i take off the air dam...even less protection? It just seems like a very poor choice for someone who will take their car off road. Maybe i have it wrong. Please educate me.

So, given the cards, i think i am going to stand still, and wait for my car. I don't mind the price (and i can stomach waiting...barely), but i also don't like walking away from the fantastic deals, and lower msrp, of the current 2011's.

Comments, observations? Anyone pissed they are reading essentially the same thread that has been kicked around a few times already?

Cheers!

I havent been on this board very long...basically since the forth of July when I purchased my new overland 4x4 and YES....I am already sick of these same "I cant make up my mind" threads...

And I find it funny that you start the thread basically asking us what you should do but you just end up telling us you are waiting...then why post the thread? Not trying to be "that guy" but c'mon peeps

bromhead 08-15-2011 08:05 AM

Re: another annoying what should i do thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherokee4X4 (Post 465947)
I havent been on this board very long...basically since the forth of July when I purchased my new overland 4x4 and YES....I am already sick of these same "I cant make up my mind" threads...

And I find it funny that you start the thread basically asking us what you should do but you just end up telling us you are waiting...then why post the thread? Not trying to be "that guy" but c'mon peeps

hmmm...maybe you are "that guy"... :D

I mean, if you are sick of these threads, why did you bother to post, why not just ignore it? I read and respond to the posts i find interesting...never thought of responding to the ones that i don't...

And as to why i posted...isnt it obvious? Like many that preordered, i am wondering if going the 2011 route is a better option. I layed out the options as i see it, indicated where i was leaning, and asked for feedback....not sure how i crossed a line...unless you are "that guy"...

In either event, while i did, tongue in cheek, semi apologize for my post, as it is similar to other posts, doesn't that imply that perhaps some might have interest, as its a popular topic....unless of course, you are "that guy"...

In either event, congrats on your new Overland.

:D

77Cherokee 08-15-2011 09:27 AM

Re: another annoying what should i do thread
 
cherokee4X4, lighten up or you will become "that guy".
There is nothing wrong with starting a new thread on a recurring popular subject. People on this forum are getting new cars on a weekly basis. Some of them may have had similar circumstances to yours, and now that you are ready to buy, their opinions could be helpful.
Bromhead, no need for an apology. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community