Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Strange Noise Under Passenger Seat (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/strange-noise-under-passenger-seat-27153.html)

bgmtnclmbr 08-15-2011 11:18 PM

Strange Noise Under Passenger Seat

I just got a new 4x4 Laredo X. I have been hearing what sounds like a ball bearing rolling around in the skid plate under the passenger seat. At first I thought it was the sloshing sound many people have heard and pulled the associated plugs with no water coming out. It is only noticeable at low speeds when going over speed bumps or making sharp changes of direction, like swerving back and forth at around 5-10mph. The sound sounds much more mechanical than fluid, like a penny sitting in the side pocket of the door or under the seat (its not that, I already checked). Has anyone else heard the same noise, or is this the water issue that has troubled some people in the past. Thanks!!

jaysonf 08-15-2011 11:55 PM

Re: Strange Noise Under Passenger Seat

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgmtnclmbr (Post 466677)
I just got a new 4x4 Laredo X. I have been hearing what sounds like a ball bearing rolling around in the skid plate under the passenger seat. At first I thought it was the sloshing sound many people have heard and pulled the associated plugs with no water coming out. It is only noticeable at low speeds when going over speed bumps or making sharp changes of direction, like swerving back and forth at around 5-10mph. The sound sounds much more mechanical than fluid, like a penny sitting in the side pocket of the door or under the seat (its not that, I already checked). Has anyone else heard the same noise, or is this the water issue that has troubled some people in the past. Thanks!!

I thought i was going crazy, i have the exact same sound. Sounds like a marble rolling around under a seat. I have no idea what it is but interesting to know that someone else has the same problem.

Ill be interested to know if we can find out what the noise is.

rich mac 08-16-2011 06:39 AM

Maybe something in the battery compartment or storage area under the driver's seat?

Lingohocken 08-16-2011 12:11 PM

Not really relevant (hopefully), but in the early Fifties a driver of a new GM car reportedly kept hearing a rattle from around one of the quarter panels. No end of dealer investigation came up empty, yet the noise continued.

Finally, the dealer torched open the quarter panel. Inside, they found a Coke bottle stuffed with a note reading, "You finally found it!":D

SixZeroFour 08-16-2011 12:20 PM

I had a strange rattle/sound under my passenger seat but it turned out to be one of the modules under the seat moving around. I just started jiggling parts until I heard the noise, added a zap strap or two and now its silent.

bgmtnclmbr 08-16-2011 08:30 PM

I checked the battery compartment and found nothing rattling around. When I opened the compartment, I did notice that only 2 of the 4 snap fits for the compartment lid were engaged. When I reinstalled the lid, I made sure the 4 snap fits were all engaged and on the test drive around the block the noise seemed to have gone away. Not sure if this was the root of the problem, but I'll repost if the noise comes back

chillywon 08-17-2011 02:18 PM

My son found the storage area under the driver seat before I did...He put a battery in it...Drove me fookin' nuts for two days until I figured it out.

jaysonf 09-07-2011 04:37 AM

I have narrowed my rattle down to something inside rear door passengers side. Going to get it fixed along with front passenger seat panel coming off on friday. Ill post they find it is rolling around in there.