Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Jeep not starting (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/jeep-not-starting-27155.html)

FredoinSF 08-15-2011 11:40 PM

Jeep not starting

My 2002 4.7L V8 WJ is not starting. I just get a clicking sound and it's not turning over.
At first I thought the battery was weak so I tried to jump it and it still would not turn over. I was a little surprised, but figured I would hook it up to the battery charger for a while. I had it on the charger for three hours and I still just get a single click when I turn the key.
Where do I start with the troubleshooting?

TJXJWJ 08-16-2011 06:54 AM

Re: Jeep not starting

If I were you, I'd take the starter off and take it in to Advance or Autozone to have it tested. Might as well take the battery too. That's usually where the problem lies. While you're in there, check the connections from your battery to your starter and alternator, make sure everything is clean and tight. (I like my ladies just like my electrical connections)

01grand 08-16-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 466758)
If I were you, I'd take the starter off and take it in to Advance or Autozone to have it tested. Might as well take the battery too. That's usually where the problem lies. While you're in there, check the connections from your battery to your starter and alternator, make sure everything is clean and tight. (I like my ladies just like my electrical connections)

Exactly what Tony said :thumbsup:

Amen to that last line!

FredoinSF 08-16-2011 09:41 PM

Haha. So I checked connection and everything is clean and tight - no worries there.
I took the battery out to have it tested and it came back good. The terminals were clean, but I sprayed terminal cleaner and put new goop on them just to be sure.
Based on this and the single click noise I think my problem is the starter. I tried to whack it a couple of time cuz I've had that keep me going on another car. No luck.

It's parked on top of dirt / gravel / broken cement mix, and my driveway is very steep so I can't even push it in the garage to work on it somewhat comfortably. I'm probably going to have it towed to a shop.

TJXJWJ 08-17-2011 07:04 AM

That sucks dude...good luck with it! Don't lettem rape you at the shop!

JeepMe 08-17-2011 07:40 AM

Have you tried hooking a DMM up to the starter terminals to see if it's getting voltage when you try to start?

FredoinSF 08-19-2011 09:29 AM

Thanks guys.
@ Jeep me. Access to starter is really bad given uneven ground where the car is parked. I can't safely lift it, I can't drive it on ramps, I can't safely get it in my garage since the driveway has a 15% grade. I will take it to a shop that has helped me in the past and will do the work at a reasonable price. They were swamped this week so the car is still sitting on a pile of dirt...

The good news is this happened in the middle of summer when the Jeep does a lot of sitting anyway. It's only been used for airport parking / dog park duty and is still running on the same tank of gas from five weeks ago. I drove from Bay Area to Reno last night and was planning on taking the Jeep due to amount of stuff we needed to take plus an extra dog we are watching, but we stuffed the junk and the three dogs in the 650 and all was good.

2005JGC 08-22-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredoinSF (Post 467386)
I tried to whack it a couple of time cuz I've had that keep me going on another car.

When you whack it do you have someone holding the key in the start position? Typically 1 click is an indication that the contacts in the solenoid are burnt up, every time those contacts close and arc their ability to flow electrons is hindered by the damage done to the contacts by the arc... so again typically if you hear a single click its because the contacts slammed shut like they are supposed to but they just are not flowing any juice.

rayray 08-22-2011 09:50 PM

Have you tried the headlight trick? turn on your headlights then try to start the car if your lights dim you are getting power to the starter its just drawing to much juice and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. this does assume your battery and charging system are in working order.

Joe's2001Laredo 08-23-2011 06:08 PM

Any update on your problem? I went to leave work this evening and had the same problem.All electricals were working but got that same clicking noise.After my friend tried to jump me for 5-10 minutes or so I went to lock it up and get a ride home but just for the hell of it figured let me try the remote start I have and it started.

FredoinSF 08-23-2011 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was out of town over the weekend. Finally got it towed this afternoon. I will have the final verdict tomorrow.

FredoinSF 08-24-2011 10:38 PM

Got the car back. It was the starter.