Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Remote Start (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/remote-start-27177.html)

Ricko 08-16-2011 11:56 AM

Remote Start

Has anyone installed a after market 2-way remote start? I was looking at the factory one on Justforjeeps but don't really no if i want the one way. So heres the question has anyone installed a after market remote start on there jeep if so which one. and for those who have the factory is it worth it. I know from my parents GMC Acadia there factory remote start never works from a distances. You can lock it and here the horn but when you get to the car it is not started. i just hope this isn't like the factory jeep one.

dahlberg123 08-16-2011 05:27 PM

Re: Remote Start

I don't know if there's any truth to this but I was told that factory installed remote starts are regulated by the FCC in such a way that it effectively limits them to an operating distance at/around 100'.

Troy Cruise 08-16-2011 06:56 PM

Mine remote starts from much farther than 100 feet. I start it from my third floor office through the window where my jeep is 100 yards away. I can also get it to start when I'm inside buildings. Sometimes if the rear of the car is facing me that distance is diminished.

Ricko 08-16-2011 08:36 PM

I just don't want to spend money on remote start that can only work from my window..on just for jeeps they state "OEM tested remote start system that allows you to start your vehicle from as far away as 800 feet with just the push of a button" hmmm
did any one put in an after market one?

Ricko 08-21-2011 08:55 PM

anything??

usrdaba 09-05-2011 05:34 PM

The owner's manual of my 2011 Limited indicates the remote start feature works "up to 300 feet. That said, those are typically best case scenarios (line of sight, no obstructions). Any walls/objects (concrete, wood, metal siding) will affect distance capability (especially metal!). Radio transmissions are affected by so many variables that any claims should be considered as guidelines at best.

wk2CRD 10-04-2011 06:49 PM

anyway of getting a remote start on an Aus version ( as it's not on there by default )

Hunter99 10-21-2011 09:43 PM

I can start my mine from over 100 yards away. I park at the end of the parking lot which is about 125 yards from the back of my building. If I just hold the key up when full of cars it starts. If not cars I can leave it in my pocket and double tap the button. Works every time.

I did aftermarket on my old truck I use for general use. Works fine but the distance is less. Good to 50 yards or so.

bbjrhome 10-25-2011 08:01 PM

Remote start using the buillt in GPS function that can be managed from my droid smartphone. That would be killer

Deception 10-25-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbjrhome (Post 504038)
Remote start using the buillt in GPS function that can be managed from my droid smartphone. That would be killer

I believe Viper had something like that for iPhones, not sure if it was for Droids though.

EDIT: It's for Android as well.

MoxX 10-26-2011 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deception (Post 504127)
I believe Viper had something like that for iPhones, not sure if it was for Droids though.

EDIT: It's for Android as well.

Deception...could you elaborate please??? how does that work??? you mean it is possible to start your car using your iphone??? that would be great...

dlthunder 10-30-2011 10:43 PM

Both Viper and now Onstar gm cars can start with an iphone app. For the viper one you have to pay an annual fee to connect the car to cell service and the car needs to be in cell range for it to work.