Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Believe it or not, looking for a QUIET muffler (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/believe-it-or-not-looking-for-a-quiet-muffler-27180.html)

jimbofish 08-16-2011 12:37 PM

Believe it or not, looking for a QUIET muffler

Seems like all the muffler posts here are looking for a louder muffler. I dig the need for cooler sound but given that this is a straight six, not my preference on this vehicle. I've always loved how nearly silent this vehicle was and that's what I want to preserve.

Started noticing a droning, harmonic noise on a recent 400 mi trip. A quick look underneath shows numerous small perforations in the stock muffler. Time for a new one after 'only' 9 yrs?

The Jeep dealer quotes $465 for an OEM muffler/tailpipe assy, $175 for a "Value-line" muffler-only, plus $60 labor for either. Presumably, the OEM muffler would give the quiet that I want, but $465 seems a bit steep. The V-line is reasonable, but I'm not sure what the sound or quality is like. The dealer says they're made to Chrysler specs and both are stainless steel.

So I'm looking for anyone's experience with the "value-line" muffler vs the stock OEM muffler, both in quietness and longevity, and whether it's worth the price. Also open to any other options, keeping maximum quietness as a priority.

TJXJWJ 08-16-2011 12:44 PM

Re: Believe it or not, looking for a QUIET muffler

Buy me a magnaflow and I'll send you my stocker...hehehehe.

$465 seems steep. Are you able/willing to install a replacement yourself?

01grand 08-16-2011 02:52 PM

$465 is quite steep, although what else do we expect from a dealer? :rolleyes:

If you are willing to do the work yourself you can get the parts for half that at rockauto.com, or even your local auto parts store will have an OEM equivalent muffler. I believe it was a walker SoundFX that I put on my 93 with the 4.0 and it was pretty quiet. They also make a quietflow that is supposed to be OEM like.

FlyinRyan 08-16-2011 11:44 PM

Put on a big oval Magnaflow, will sound just fine.

jimbofish 08-19-2011 08:29 AM

The last time I installed an exhaust myself I was much younger and even then I swore I'd never do it again. That said, the last time I had one installed by a muffler shop, they took it for a "test ride" and rear-ended another vehicle. :mad: So far, the local Jeep dealer has been very good, so they're my preference, and $225 installed seems fair enough to me.

My concern is, one, whether the V-line is as quiet as the stocker, and two, how long it will last compared to the OEM. If it only lasts a couple of years, the extra $300 for the OEM would be well spent, assuming it would last as long as the original did.

01grand 08-19-2011 09:17 AM

In that case I would spend the extra for the OEM, that should be the exact same as the original muffler.

The value line is probably made from a cheaper metal that will rust out fast, especially if you live in an area where they salt the sh!t out of the roads all winter long.