Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Australian spec Overland - Trailer Tow Prep Group (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/australian-spec-overland-trailer-tow-prep-group-27311.html)

ENFORCER 08-18-2011 10:17 PM

Australian spec Overland - Trailer Tow Prep Group

I am preparing my list of items to install on my new car when it arrives and have gotten conflicting information from my dealer in relation to the items I need for towing. In the USA you get a tow prep group IV on Hemi's and group 3 on V6.
The problem I have is mine is an overland CRD and info on this is thin on the ground. Looking at my build sheet, it says under the options:
AHCP Trailer Tow Prep Group
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
NHAP Engine Oil Cooler
BAJP 220 Amp Alternator
BR6S Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc HD Brakes

Which appear to be the same as the Trailer prep IV as on the Hemi.
If this is the case, what items do I need to buy to be able to tow a trailer and have the lights work ?
The dealer want US$1500 to give me towing ability which is a total ripoff.
From what I have read, I just need a hitch and wiring harness, is this the case ? or do I need a receiver?

jgc4ever 08-18-2011 10:43 PM

Re: Australian spec Overland - Trailer Tow Prep Group

If it's the same as the regular Overland with Hemi, I think all you need is this: http://www.justforjeeps.com/ballmountkits3.html and a ball hitch: http://www.justforjeeps.com/hitchballs3.html. I think this: http://www.justforjeeps.com/eltrbrco.html already comes with your Jeep, but not sure with your Jeep specs.

Rman 08-18-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 468932)
I am preparing my list of items to install on my new car when it arrives and have gotten conflicting information from my dealer in relation to the items I need for towing. In the USA you get a tow prep group IV on Hemi's and group 3 on V6.
The problem I have is mine is an overland CRD and info on this is thin on the ground. Looking at my build sheet, it says under the options:
AHCP Trailer Tow Prep Group
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
NHAP Engine Oil Cooler
BAJP 220 Amp Alternator
BR6S Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc HD Brakes

Which appear to be the same as the Trailer prep IV as on the Hemi.
If this is the case, what items do I need to buy to be able to tow a trailer and have the lights work ?
The dealer want US$1500 to give me towing ability which is a total ripoff.
From what I have read, I just need a hitch and wiring harness, is this the case ? or do I need a receiver?

Wow, Enforcer my dealer here in Sydney charged A$995 for the Mopar tow kit... I would call around to a few dealers and see if you can get a better deal.

Swampy 08-19-2011 12:36 AM

I paid $1,136 for a "Genuine Jeep Towbar" here in the West.

I would expect that would be ready to go, possibly need a wiring adaptor, but that would be it.

ENFORCER 08-19-2011 01:15 AM

I am guessing that it will just be the ball, tongue and plugin loom as it is on the USA spec overlands. If that is all that is required, I can get all the bits for under $300US + delivery. Cutting the rear bar is not a problem for me. ARB had quoted me $900 for a towbar, but I do not think they take into account that most of it is already fitted to the Overland.
Normally I would wait, but the wife has arranged a road trip a week after the ETA and I need the towbar for the bikerack.

jefferson.oz 08-19-2011 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 469027)
I am guessing that it will just be the ball, tongue and plugin loom as it is on the USA spec overlands. If that is all that is required, I can get all the bits for under $300US + delivery. Cutting the rear bar is not a problem for me. ARB had quoted me $900 for a towbar, but I do not think they take into account that most of it is already fitted to the Overland.
Normally I would wait, but the wife has arranged a road trip a week after the ETA and I need the towbar for the bikerack.

Howdy, all you get is is the loom ready to be connected to behind the trim in the left hand corner of the car thats about all ya get, you need a complete towbar tongue etc, theres a grommet to pass the wiring through the floorpan, I went hayman and reece, fits nice....

pug303 08-19-2011 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferson.oz (Post 469045)
Howdy, all you get is is the loom ready to be connected to behind the trim in the left hand corner of the car thats about all ya get, you need a complete towbar tongue etc, theres a grommet to pass the wiring through the floorpan, I went hayman and reece, fits nice....

Hi, I looked on the Hayman Reece site but couldn't find a listing for the WK2. Does the HR intrude into the empty space between the exhausts under the back? I'm eyeing it off for relocating the spare so I can put the fridge etc in the back and still have access to the spare.

Thanks

Cheers

Jim

ENFORCER 08-19-2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferson.oz (Post 469045)

That is interesting as I thought it came with a receiver and I just needed the tongue. I had already spoken to HR, so I will just ensure they have one ready for me as timing with be tight.

jefferson.oz 08-19-2011 07:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pug303 (Post 469059)
Hi, I looked on the Hayman Reece site but couldn't find a listing for the WK2. Does the HR intrude into the empty space between the exhausts under the back? I'm eyeing it off for relocating the spare so I can put the fridge etc in the back and still have access to the spare.

Thanks

Cheers

Jim

Hmm, wouldn't say it intrudes, but may a little tight for the spare to fit, I suspect any brand of tow bar would at least take up this much space.... HR bars are apparently a bit scarce, I had to wait a couple of weeks for mine to come in... I grovelled under for a couple of rough pics....

ENFORCER 08-19-2011 11:49 PM

Jeff does that HR towbar avoid the need to cut the bar ?
Just looks like it hangs below the bar.

jefferson.oz 08-20-2011 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 469519)
Jeff does that HR towbar avoid the need to cut the bar ?
Just looks like it hangs below the bar.

Nah, Has to have a 90mm high slot cut in the bar, which is only about the thickness of square section of the bar, with a bit of rubber bushing round the cut looks neat, I checked all this out before I'd let them near my car with a saw....

AussieWK2 08-20-2011 05:34 AM

Rocked into a Brisbane dealership to take a look under GC just to see how much space was there for a towbar. I was astounded, there is so much room under there you could fit another spare wheel! Does anyone know if both a towbar and a 2nd spare fit under there? It's almost like it was designed for a 2nd spare cavity.