Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   2005 5.7 Hemi Vibration at 60-65mph (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/2005-5-7-hemi-vibration-at-60-65mph-27335.html)

hasebrand 08-19-2011 03:05 PM

2005 5.7 Hemi Vibration at 60-65mph

So yes this is another vibration question. I have searched around the forum for different vibrations but none are just like mine. So here we go...

Just bought a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi 64000 miles. They day I drove it home really bad vibration through out the entire jeep from front to back steering wheel shook as well. The vibration is more of like driving over rumble strips. But it only happens between 60-65mph. One or two MPH over/under smooth as silk.

I have had the tires balanced wait for it 9 times. One of the time is was jeep dealership which i called and asked if they had the correct cone(claimed they did they made it 900 times worse). Took it to another tire shop they new of the problem first place I took it to the knew of the problem. They balanced them correctly I believe. They guy there said that two of my tires were very slightly out of round but was able to 0 them out.

So now I have no shake in my steering wheel but the rumble between 60-65 is still there. It is a greatly reduced however. Otherwise smooth as silk. The vibration does not increase or decrease with engine RPM or braking. Steady through the 60-65 range then gone never returns at higher speed(only gone up to 90mph).

Questions that I have:
Will the two slightly out of round tires cause that type of vibration?
Drive shaft out of balance?
Transfer case?
Differential?

Also in the morning leaving for work when I back up out of my spot and turn there is a rubbing noise. Like the tires are rubbing which they are not even on a slight turn. It never does it again for the whole day just in the morning.

I'm thinking its the differential fluid is low or wrong type or something. If the differential fluid is bad could that also cause the vibration?

Any help, input, or tests to narrow it down would be greatly appreciated. New to Jeep don't know how the drive train and how it all functions.

Thanks

LTrainGC 08-19-2011 03:19 PM

Re: 2005 5.7 Hemi Vibration at 60-65mph

Were you provided service records? If not, I'd replace the fluids in both diffs, the transfer case, and the transmission (and filters), and I'd change the oil and filter. I would also change the PCV valve, the spark plugs and the serpentine belt. 60K miles is a big maintenance milestone for the Hemi.

Do you have QD2? If so they might not have added the limited slip additive to either axle if/when they changed the fluids. This would cause some diff chatter which might explain the noise you are hearing in the mornings.

If you get all your proper maintenance completed and are still experiencing the vibration, I'd look to maybe replace the tires or make sure the wheels aren't bent. However, with out of round wheels or a bent rim I'd suspect that you would feel the vibration all the time and it would get more intense as your speed increased.

hasebrand 08-19-2011 03:35 PM

I know the oil was changed but other than that nothing. Looks like I found my project for the weekend. I thought the same thing about the out of round tires that the vibration would get worse not go away completely.

Anyone recommend a type of spark plug and gap size I heard their picky.

jeep5.7 08-19-2011 03:42 PM

champion 570.
gap .43-.45 all 16

LTrainGC 08-19-2011 03:47 PM

^^^^ yep - get the Champion 570's (copper). The MDS system is picky with spark plugs, and at least these are cheap (should be about $2/plug).

hasebrand 08-19-2011 04:04 PM

Thanks will let ya know the changes.

Walt 08-20-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTrainGC (Post 469324)
Were you provided service records? If not, I'd replace the fluids in both diffs, the transfer case, and the transmission (and filters), and I'd change the oil and filter. I would also change the PCV valve, the spark plugs and the serpentine belt. 60K miles is a big maintenance milestone for the Hemi.

Do you have QD2? If so they might not have added the limited slip additive to either axle if/when they changed the fluids. This would cause some diff chatter which might explain the noise you are hearing in the mornings.

If you get all your proper maintenance completed and are still experiencing the vibration, I'd look to maybe replace the tires or make sure the wheels aren't bent. However, with out of round wheels or a bent rim I'd suspect that you would feel the vibration all the time and it would get more intense as your speed increased.

First, I would do the transfer case (MOPAR NV245/NV247 Transfer Case Fluid) and both differentials (75W-140 full synthetic gear oil Mobil-1 or equiv.). If you have QD-II, then you need 2 small bottles of MOPAR Friction Modifier, 1 for each differential. Buy a 14mm Allen key at ACE before you start for the front differential and take the top fill plug out first.
See if that cures it. If not, move on to the others. They are all necessary, but not necessarily speed-related.

Not listed in previous replies, but a good idea when you change the serpentine belt is the EGR valve. They seem to start failing around 50K miles. Need to release the alternator to change it, so concurrent replacement is a time-saving idea.

This site should help you with maintenance requirements: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep5.7 (Post 469333)
champion 570.
gap .43-.45 all 16

X2. Torque plugs at 12-15 ft-lbs (dry) as they are torque-sensitive (or so says Chrysler). MOPAR number is REC14MCC4 if you feel the need to spend extra money.

Redpit 08-20-2011 08:35 AM

Being that you only get the vibration at certain speeds, it would lead me to believe it is associated to your out of round tire. That's classically the way a bent rim would behave. So an out of round tire would be very similar. Could very well be a bent rim, too. I would think that would have been caught on one of your many trips, but it wouldn't be the first time something went unnoticed like that.

viking757 08-20-2011 09:18 AM

Im going to slightly go on a limb here because I have read of people having a driveline vibration when their front axle isolator bushings are worn. Does it make a clunk noise when shifting from PRND or during low speed tight turns?

Check the obvious but that may be an overlooked area.

4.whoa 08-20-2011 12:29 PM

I have an out-of-round tire as well. at about 65 it shook so bad the hood looked loose! :eek: I had it balanced 4 or 5X and it would balance, but that doesnt help the roundness. mine did not however smooth out just over or under 65 it just got worse( i only took it to 75) I just swapped it for the spare untill i get a new set.
Did they change the wheel positions when they balanced them?if they moved one from the frt to the rear when the steering wheel stopped shaking id bet thats the one. try the spare & see if it helps.

hasebrand 08-20-2011 05:52 PM

Update...
So i put new plugs, air filter, oil, belt, and rear diff oil. The rear diff was very low on oil. The air filter was a yellow brown full of junk. Plugs were pretty worn one cylinder the plugs were wet. I think with oil so thats great. I'm going to pull them tomorrow and double check. PCV valve they had to order will be here tomorrow.

Were is the PCV valve located though it was on the oil filler?

I drove it after and i think the vibration is coming from the front more then the back and vibrating through the suspension. They put the two out of round tires on the rear and the more and more I drive it it seems more from the front.

I am assuming it has something to do with the front driveline sense the rear was so low on oil im sure the front under the skid plate was neglected even worse. God the more and more i take this thing apart the more and more neglect i find. The only thing that is keeping me sound is the place i bought it from is reimbursing me. Because apparently this was all suppose to done at someplace they took it.

Walt 08-20-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hasebrand (Post 469827)
..... PCV valve they had to order will be here tomorrow....Where is the PCV valve located? Thought it was on the oil filler?

PCV valve is on the intake manifold, passenger's side rear. 1/4 turn CCW and lift out.
Makeup air from the air filter to the crankcase enters in the oil filler neck.

EGR valve is on front of passenger's side head, behind alternator.