Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export & Diesel Powered Jeep Models (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/)
-   -   Backlash on throttle on/throttle off and cold start shivering (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/backlash-on-throttle-on-throttle-off-and-cold-start-shivering-27340.html)

ZF1FR 08-19-2011 04:36 PM

Backlash on throttle on/throttle off and cold start shivering

Hi guys,

As my WK is my first 4wd and first automatic GB, I have some questions unanswered by the mechanics I know.
I feel like a backlash in the transmission when either:
o on highway releasing throttle then applying quite suddenly throttle
o when braking before a slow turn then applying throttle

When engine transmission is cold and the car is limping I feel some shudder.

Thanks,

ZF1FR 08-27-2011 08:19 AM

Re: Backlash on throttle on/throttle off and cold start shivering

No one here is experiencing any of that?
Is it due to engine negative torque putting transmission clearances in a way then engine positive torque in the other way?

Please tell me at least if you have this kind of clunck?

TJcust 08-28-2011 01:09 PM

I feel the same things on my 08. The brake one pisses me off, but ive learnt to work around the throttle on off. If you slowly release the throttle and slowly reapply it shouldn't do that. Or you could punch it everywhere you go and avoid it all :)

My guess is its just the way the tranny works with these. Ive asked a few others with WK's and they said they have similar complaints but not as prevelant as the CRD's. Probably because of the Tourqe difference.

ZF1FR 08-29-2011 01:17 AM

Thanks for your answer. I work too around the throttle on/off, but sometimes you can't avoid it like when you approach a red light braking then reapplying throttle because it's gone green.

What I thought was we feel all the tranny clearances for two coupled reasons (hypothesis):
  • We have a mechanical coupling between engine and gearbox which depends on speed and pedal position (to bypass the loss from the hydaulic converter).
  • The torque reinstatement might be harsh due to the turbocharger?

TJcust 08-30-2011 12:17 PM

All possible I guess regardless I don't think there is much you can do about it. If yours is severe enough or gets worse bring it in. Minor issue in an otherwise excellent vehicle.

ZF1FR 08-31-2011 04:32 AM

Doesn't seem to get worse, I was just curious and wondered if that was an isolated case.

Thanks guys.

laredowk.5 09-25-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZF1FR (Post 473886)
No one here is experiencing any of that?
Is it due to engine negative torque putting transmission clearances in a way then engine positive torque in the other way?

Please tell me at least if you have this kind of clunck?

I have a 2008.5 and have the same issue. I had asked about it on an other forum and no one had experienced really...
Mine did it from day one, i use the same throttle trick and works.
I assume it's bc of the torque.
My trany seems fine but i don't like it's shifting range..

TJcust 10-11-2011 09:36 AM

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I gutted that turbo resonator last night. I was going to replace it with a hose but couldn't find one at my shop. Anyways it completely eliminated that backlash. I tried the whole way to work to get it to shake but nothing. You should try removing that and see if it helps.

laredowk.5 10-21-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJcust (Post 497305)
Hey, just wanted to let you know that I gutted that turbo resonator last night. I was going to replace it with a hose but couldn't find one at my shop. Anyways it completely eliminated that backlash. I tried the whole way to work to get it to shake but nothing. You should try removing that and see if it helps.

The 2008.5 doesn't have one...
actually i was under it today doing my diff oils, and looked to be sure, no resonator.