Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Has anyone had sidesteps installed? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/has-anyone-had-sidesteps-installed-27496.html)

tks2010 08-23-2011 07:36 AM

Has anyone had sidesteps installed?

I am curious as to how much chrome side steps cost to install. They seem to look nice but, are they that useful?

Medichic 08-23-2011 08:58 AM

Re: Has anyone had sidesteps installed?

I asked my dealer. I could get chrome rails from eBay for like $410 and they quoted me $350 for labor. I just stopped short laughing in their face. It's more for aesthetics since we have the quad lift. So prob won't be getting them. I heard it's a PIA to self install.

Radside 08-23-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tks2010 (Post 471103)
I am curious as to how much chrome side steps cost to install. They seem to look nice but, are they that useful?

I have them but they are really only functional for putting things on the roof...not so much for entering or exiting the vehicle unless you are really vertically challenged. They look good though. I believe I have a pic in my profile. I am not sure how much installation is because I installed them myself. It took about 2-3 hrs to install them if I recall correctly. It was not hard but because you are crawling under the vehicle, it is a slightly tedious and slow.

Nickoland 08-23-2011 11:48 AM

More looks than function, but they look great and set it apart. 2 hours to install myself, i think you need a wrench, a socket, and a screwdriver. Just set to the QL to Off Road 2, no lift needed. They are useful when cleaning the roof or front windows as well.

olamaca 08-23-2011 12:40 PM

I had my dealer install it when I purchased my Overland. I probably would've had a smaller independent garage install it for me if it was out of warranty or not new. The reason I had them install it is that it's now on record that they were the ones who installed a new piece equipment that also happens to be backed by its own warranty. Having said that if anything goes wrong with the car as a result of bad installation, they would be held responsible for it. Imagine it came loose and it damage some part of your Jeep, who do you think they will blame? Yes, you if you installed it yourself.

I'm not an expert with car dealerships but I'm pretty sure they work the same as forklift dealers who happen to be my area of expertise and the same thing is true if you installed an attachment on a forklift. You are responsible for it and typically voids warranty.

Of course and let's face it, there aren't too many attachments out there that would cause any real problems but something hanging underneath your car so close to moving tires, gas tank, axles, etc. A couple of extra hundred dollars isn't really that much to have them install it so you know who to blame.

smcoverland 08-23-2011 02:55 PM

If you do install them and drive a lot of dirt/gravel roads, you're going to want to install mud flaps as well. The gravel spun up from the tires hits the side rails and makes a lot of noise.

As far as useful... Not so much for me, but they help my sweetie climb in when in park mode and they do make the roof a little easier to reach (for short people). :)

ernestd 08-25-2011 09:45 AM

factory ones r great