Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Hurricane Season -- Syphoning Gas from a WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/hurricane-season-syphoning-gas-from-a-wk2-27498.html)

Celly 08-23-2011 08:39 AM

Hurricane Season -- Syphoning Gas from a WK2

Part of my Hurricane Prep list is to fill my cars up with Gas as additional storage containers for Generator Go-Go Juice. I was told this weekend that Chrysler vehicles have something that protects against Syphoning?

Anyone know if this true? I would think since Jeeps have a tad more of a survival background/following this would be something someone has already tried?

Clarification: I wish to steal my own gas instead of storing an extra 20 gallons in my garage.

Technosavant 08-23-2011 08:48 AM

Re: Hurricane Season -- Syphoning Gas from a WK2

You mean aside from the fuel door that must be released from inside the vehicle?

Medichic 08-23-2011 08:55 AM

It's true. I just tried it and got a shock. Must have a built in taser somewhere.

Celly 08-23-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medichic (Post 471128)
It's true. I just tried it and got a shock. Must have a built in taser somewhere.

Ahhh, the inferno feature.

jeep2011 08-23-2011 09:33 AM

Wow where do you live? I grew up at the beach and have never seen anyone steal gas from cars during bad storms. The WKII has a locking gas door, but if they would steal the gas anyways the plastic bolt will pop right off if forced open. If stealing gas was that bad you might want to get a locking gas cap from the store.

Celly 08-23-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 471154)
Wow where do you live? I grew up at the beach and have never seen anyone steal gas from cars during bad storms. The WKII has a locking gas door, but if they would steal the gas anyways the plastic bolt will pop right off if forced open. If stealing gas was that bad you might want to get a locking gas cap from the store.

Clarification -- I want to steal my own gas.

Cherokee4X4 08-23-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celly (Post 471155)
Clarification -- I want to steal my own gas.

then leave your gas tank door open during the storm and suck it out...

http://worob.files.wordpress.com/201...o-it.jpg?w=446

Celly 08-23-2011 10:27 AM

UPDATE

Yes, our jeeps have an 'Anti siphon valve' that also protects form full leakage in a roll over. This makes it very difficult to get a tube in.

Fuel Tanks are cheap enough... I'll just pick up 2 more...

Thanks for everyone's ... colorful ... help.

OBXJeep 08-23-2011 10:52 AM

Just for "clarification" you'd rather not be able to drive and be stuck than have gas in cans in your garage? If you would like to have power or whatever you need a generator for than just evacuate like all the tourists :D

Celly 08-23-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OBXJeep (Post 471215)
Just for "clarification" you'd rather not be able to drive and be stuck than have gas in cans in your garage? If you would like to have power or whatever you need a generator for than just evacuate like all the tourists :D

I have more than 1 car. So if I were to drain it, there is the other car.

And I live far enough inland where I don't need to evacuate, but long term power loss could be possible.. ie. Transformer pop.

OBXJeep 08-23-2011 11:04 AM

I don't understand the problem with the extra gas lying around.:confused: To each their own. Good luck with your.....issue.... :thumbsup:

PS why don't you just use your other car as a gas storage container?

Technosavant 08-23-2011 11:08 AM

Storing gasoline is really easy. I keep mine in cans underneath the oily rags and road flares. To keep them up off the concrete, I have all that on top of the locked container with the fire extinguishers.

It's a really nice and compact package in the garage, but I really should fix the wiring that runs to that corner.