Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   $305 Credit for 430N replacing 730N? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/305-credit-for-430n-replacing-730n-27504.html)

gokart508 08-23-2011 10:32 AM

$305 Credit for 430N replacing 730N?
 
Hello all. I just looked at my window sticker and not sure exactly how this credit came about, i'm sure someone can shed some light on the subject. The sticker has a line that reads...

"Credit: Media Ctr 430N replaces 730N............$-305.00"

Any input would be great. Thanks!

joebuf1 08-23-2011 11:13 AM

Re: $305 Credit for 430N replacing 730N?
 
I see from your signature line that you have an Overland Summit. It comes with the 730N as standard, I believe. The 430N is less expensive, and they must have ordered it like that. The 430N is a great NAV/Stereo made by Garmin, and the 730N is made by Navteq. I have the Navteq 730N in my Overland and sometimes long for the Garmin unit. They're both great units, but I have had Garmin units in the past and it would have saved me re-learning how to use a GPS. A lot of people prefer the Garmin unit, which is why it was ordered like that, I'm sure. Don't worry, the 730 doesn't have anything that the Garmin doesn't. The interface is just different (different software).

At least that's my experience so far, comparing my Navteq to my Garmin portable unit.

gokart508 08-23-2011 12:15 PM

Re: $305 Credit for 430N replacing 730N?
 
Thanks for the info. One thing i hate about the unit is how it integrates the bluetooth phone use. My last car was a BMW 335 coupe with Nav. It integrated the phone flawlessly. Things that would be nice are..

1. Allow car to download phone book so you can search through contacts...
2. Allow selection of those contacts through touch screen

The only way to make calls on my unit is to push the U Connect button and say the name of the contact. Then the lady comes on and butches the name then i have to confirm that she has the correct name. What a pain! Other than that, i like it. But The phone is down right terrible.

jeepster23 08-23-2011 12:25 PM

Re: $305 Credit for 430N replacing 730N?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by joebuf1 (Post 471246)
I see from your signature line that you have an Overland Summit. It comes with the 730N as standard, I believe. The 430N is less expensive, and they must have ordered it like that. The 430N is a great NAV/Stereo made by Garmin, and the 730N is made by Navteq. I have the Navteq 730N in my Overland and sometimes long for the Garmin unit. They're both great units, but I have had Garmin units in the past and it would have saved me re-learning how to use a GPS. A lot of people prefer the Garmin unit, which is why it was ordered like that, I'm sure. Don't worry, the 730 doesn't have anything that the Garmin doesn't. The interface is just different (different software).

At least that's my experience so far, comparing my Navteq to my Garmin portable unit.


Thats not exactly true. Here are the major differences between the systems.

Major differences between the RHB and RER/RHR navigation radios
Chrysler Group created the RHB radio (430N) as a lower priced alternative to the top of the line RER/RHR (730N) navigation radios. The 430N is priced several hundred dollars less than the 730N - but it does not have all of the features.
Major differences:
Graphics: The RHB uses navigation software by Garmin, while the RER/RHR uses navigation software by Navteq. The graphics and some features are different.</B>
Dead Reckoning: When a vehicle doesn't have a clear view of the sky - such as in a tunnel or garage, or when surrounded by tall buildings - all navigation systems lose reception of GPS satellite signals. The 730N has a "dead reckoning" feature which enables it to estimate the current location until the sky is once again visible. (At start-up, it also remembers the vehicles last location, and immediately displays this estimated location until it can read signals for a precise fix). This is also known as "Enhanced GPS". The RHB does not have dead reckoning: it will display a question mark until it can receive GPS satellite signals and identify the current location.
Voice Command: With the 730N, drivers can program a desired destination using Uconnect Voice Command, while the vehicle is in motion. While the voice command is packaged with the 430N on most vehicles (and an option on the rest), it cannot be used to operate the navigation system - the vehicle must be parked so that drivers can enter a destination using the on-screen keyboard.
Traffic: The 730N includes traffic information provided by SIRIUS; the first year's subscription is free. The 430N does not offer this feature. However, the 430N is able to receive the SIRIUS Travel Link service, with helpful information about weather, nearby filling stations and prices, nearby movie theaters and show times, and even sports scores. The RER radio cannot do this, but its replacement model, the RHR, includes the feature. Split-screen mode: With the 730N you can view music and navigation screens at the same time.

hammick 08-23-2011 12:34 PM

Re: $305 Credit for 430N replacing 730N?
 
Before my 2012 Overland with the 430n I had an '08 M3 with Nav and an '08 335i convert with Nav before the M3. Although the 430n does not give you a phonebook list on the screen like the BMW the voice command works better for me. Also the quality of the bluetooth connection seems much better than the BMW system. I can be at highway speed with the sunroof open and the windows cracked and my wife says the Cherokee system sound much better than the BMW ever did.

The credit on my Overland for the 430n was $465. I think the credit amount changed with the later builds.

I have added a lockpick ver. 4 and can now input address while moving and also watch movies if I want. I really like the 430n better than the 730 although my only experience with the 730 was on test drives. The Garmin Nav is what really made we look hard for an Overland with the 430n.

Now if I could figure out how to get my downloaded music to random play that would be great.

AAAA 08-23-2011 12:35 PM

Re: $305 Credit for 430N replacing 730N?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gokart508 (Post 471316)
Thanks for the info. One thing i hate about the unit is how it integrates the bluetooth phone use. My last car was a BMW 335 coupe with Nav. It integrated the phone flawlessly. Things that would be nice are..

1. Allow car to download phone book so you can search through contacts...
2. Allow selection of those contacts through touch screen

The only way to make calls on my unit is to push the U Connect button and say the name of the contact. Then the lady comes on a butches the name then i have to confirm that she has the correct name. What a pain! Other than that, i like it. But The phone is down right terrible.

I can make calls on my 430N thru the phone without speaking to the "woman".

gokart508 08-23-2011 12:55 PM

Re: $305 Credit for 430N replacing 730N?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 471338)
I can make calls on my 430N thru the phone without speaking to the "woman".


Picking up your phone defeats the purpose. Just wish it would download the phone book like the BMW did, i like that feature.

As for the 430 vs the 730 debate...the 730 to me doesn't offer too many more useful features. The only thing i don't like about the garmin based unit is the mickey mouse graphics. Even the 730 has mickey mouse graphs compared to the BMW. The BMW uses an NVIDIA graphics chip and it has beautifully rendered 3D maps. Oh well, that is my only gripe, otherwise i love my new jeep!

1200RT-P 08-23-2011 01:36 PM

Re: $305 Credit for 430N replacing 730N?
 
my 430n works fine - navteq makes great software, as does garmin. not having live traffic is the biggest issue i have with the garmin software, but such is life. the 430 has many many lacking features as compared to MMI in my Audi, but its also a much less expensive unit.

gokart508 08-23-2011 01:39 PM

Re: $305 Credit for 430N replacing 730N?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1200RT-P (Post 471383)
the 430 has many many lacking features as compared to MMI in my Audi, but its also a much less expensive unit.


Apples to oranges i guess, just like the BMW


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community