Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   WK Grinding while turning left (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/wk-grinding-while-turning-left-27547.html)

djcodered 08-23-2011 08:52 PM

WK Grinding while turning left

I just observed this today. While turning left under acceleration I noticed a slight grinding sound that turned into a huge grinding sound after I hit the brakes. I was able to reproduce it. It's not only a sharp left turn. Not quite full lock. If I'm not moving fast it doesn't happen. I have to be moving just fast enough and only going forward and to the left.

I took the front wheels off, pulled the calipers off and inspected the brakes and found nothing out of the ordinary...for the most part. The only thing possible amiss was the inside of the rotor had some corrosion built up. Shouldn't that make the grinding noise all of the time.

No obvious evidence of the rotor shield contacting the rotor or anything trapped in between the two.

What could it be?

I have a 2005 WK Limited with the 4.7L and Quadradrive II. (Of course that's in my signature)

Chaoul1 08-23-2011 08:59 PM

Re: WK Grinding while turning left

I think it's your Transfer Case. When was the last time you changed the Fluid? That could be the cause.

vman_86 08-24-2011 01:57 PM

if you don't feel any shaking in steering wheel when applying the brakes, then your rotors are not warped at all and most likely it has something to do with brake pad

this has happened to me multiple times when working on construction sites and every time i would hear an insanely loud grinding noise when applying the brakes. it would be less loud when in motion while not braking.

everytime it was a small stone caught between the back of the brake pad and shield

are you absolutely certain there is nothing caught in rotor shield? you'd be surprised how a small rock can cause such a loud grinding...

djcodered 08-24-2011 08:46 PM

The transfer case fluid was changed about 3 months ago. Rear diff lube also 3 months ago and front diff lube about 2 weeks ago.

I've been through the rotor/rock/shield problem before and that's not it.

Let me repeat. Only when turning left at a certain angle (just short of full lock) and when going a certain speed. You hear a slight grinding sound before you put the brakes on then a severe grinding when you apply the brakes. Sound comes from the left side.

mopar01bk 08-24-2011 08:56 PM

did u add the fiction additive to the front diff when u changed the fluid i had the same problem

djcodered 08-24-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopar01bk (Post 472378)
did u add the fiction additive to the front diff when u changed the fluid i had the same problem

Friction additive was added.

bessniak 10-17-2011 03:05 PM

have you recently changed your power steering oil? i used to have this problem but in both right and left turn then after i changed the oil it goes well .

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-17-2011 09:43 PM

check your power steering fluid, i had the same problem and the fluid was low. the pump requires more fluid when turning left so it is only noticable then. make sure you only use mopar fluid if you have to add some.