Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   How to Transform a Regular Overland into a Trail Rated Overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/how-to-transform-a-regular-overland-into-a-trail-rated-overland-27558.html)

felipito 08-24-2011 07:00 AM

How to Transform a Regular Overland into a Trail Rated Overland
 
Hello!!!
i am receiving my Overland 2012 next month now and i want to transform it on a trail Rated. Or at least make all the possible modification to be as close as it can be to a trail rated.
Can someone please explain what modifications do i must make to my overland to be the most close of a factory Trail Rated WK2?
i know people say that trail rated in WK2 is only about the skids plate and tow hooks and tires, is this true? The only parts i need are these three things?
I know it must have the skids plated underneath, so i talked to the dealer and he ordered them so he can placed them just as the car arrives.
The reason i bought a regular Overland instead of the Overland Trail Rated is because i love the 20 inch wheels. Saying this i wont change the size of the tires to a 18.
Note: i wont make any of the Rock off road but i will be doing some Mud offroading.
Can you please help me know what are the modifications needed to transform a regular overland to a Trail Rated Overland.
Please Help me OUT!!!

pantheman75 08-24-2011 07:32 AM

Re: How to Transform a Regular Overland into a Trail Rated Overland
 
Why did you post this in the SRT8 thread?

HEMInator 08-24-2011 08:14 AM

Re: How to Transform a Regular Overland into a Trail Rated Overland
 
You will also be missing the badge and accoridng to literature, the Off Road Adventure II pacakge gives you extra protection on cabling/wires which you won't be able to add. You can add the skid plates and tow hooks. But keep in mind that if you're getting a V8, getting the Off Road Adventure Group II package will give you Quadra Drive II with the Electronic Limited Slip Differential. It'll be easier to work a tire/wheel trade with your dealer or a local tire/wheel place most likely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by felipito (Post 471945)
Hello!!!
i am receiving my Overland 2012 next month now and i want to transform it on a trail Rated. Or at least make all the possible modification to be as close as it can be to a trail rated.
Can someone please explain what modifications do i must make to my overland to be the most close of a factory Trail Rated WK2?
i know people say that trail rated in WK2 is only about the skids plate and tow hooks and tires, is this true? The only parts i need are these three things?
I know it must have the skids plated underneath, so i talked to the dealer and he ordered them so he can placed them just as the car arrives.
The reason i bought a regular Overland instead of the Overland Trail Rated is because i love the 20 inch wheels. Saying this i wont change the size of the tires to a 18.
Note: i wont make any of the Rock off road but i will be doing some Mud offroading.
Can you please help me know what are the modifications needed to transform a regular overland to a Trail Rated Overland.
Please Help me OUT!!!


Technosavant 08-24-2011 09:48 AM

Re: How to Transform a Regular Overland into a Trail Rated Overland
 
With the V-6, the three items are the skid plates, tow hooks, and downsizing the rims to 18". Trying to offroad in 20" rims is screaming aloud for busted rims and tires.

Skid plates and tow hooks are easily added. It's also very easy to get a set of 18" rims with some dedicated all terrain tires (superior to the ones Jeep puts on there), and you can throw those on when you plan to head offroad.

moosehead 08-24-2011 10:25 AM

Re: How to Transform a Regular Overland into a Trail Rated Overland
 
^yes, much of it is 18" wheels and proper tires, skids, hooks, and QDII with ELSD.

But all you really need to do to be trail rated is.......






















































leave the pavement.

suzieque 08-24-2011 11:23 AM

Re: How to Transform a Regular Overland into a Trail Rated Overland
 
I have not seen a definitive list of what a Trail Rated WK or WK2 has for options, versus capabilities that Jeep advertises. I'd like to see such a list of options/parts published by Chrysler/Jeep versus opinions.

ColdCase 08-24-2011 11:44 AM

Re: How to Transform a Regular Overland into a Trail Rated Overland
 
According to Jeep, the Off Road Adventure Group II package that makes an everyday 4WD 2012 Overland WK2 into a trail ready Overland consist of:

18x8.0" Aluminum Polished Wheels
P265/60R18 OWL Michelin On/off Road Tires
Electronic Limited Slip Rear Differential (w/5.7L)
Quadra-Drive II 4wd System (w/5.7L)
Skid Plate Group (Fuel Tank, Transfer Case, Front Suspension, Underbody)
Tow Hooks
Trail Rated Badge

For the Limited and Laredo:

P245/70R17 OWL On/Off Road Tires (Laredo)
P265/60R18 OWL On/Off Road Tires (Limited)
Hill Descent Control
Quadra-Trac II 4WD System (Laredo)
Selec-Terrain System
Skid Plate Group (Fuel Tank, Transfer Case, Front Suspension, Underbody)
Spare Tire, Full Size with Steel Spare Wheel
Tow Hooks
Trail Rated Badge

jp467 08-24-2011 11:45 AM

Re: How to Transform a Regular Overland into a Trail Rated Overland
 
Changing from 20 inch to wheels to 18 would be the only thing you would have to do to make it trail rated. There are many jeeps without tow hooks and skid plated and even a hitch that come from the factory with the trail rated badge.

HEMInator 08-24-2011 11:59 AM

Re: How to Transform a Regular Overland into a Trail Rated Overland
 
Or...you can buy a 2011 70th Anniversary Edition V8 4X4 and it will come with a Trail Rated badge WITH 20" rims and tires, no skid plates, no tow hooks and no extra electrical protection. Go figure :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 472067)
Changing from 20 inch to wheels to 18 would be the only thing you would have to do to make it trail rated. There are many jeeps without tow hooks and skid plated and even a hitch that come from the factory with the trail rated badge.


Ron98GT 08-24-2011 12:03 PM

Re: How to Transform a Regular Overland into a Trail Rated Overland
 
The stock 20" tires are only Goodyear Fortera All-Season tires, strictly for street use (WILL get stuck in mud). The 18" tires in the OR pkg are Michelin Latitude Tour M/S tires (PROBABLY WILL get stuck in mud). As others have said, you need 18" M/S or A/T tires.

You also didn't mention if you have the Hemi = ELS, QDII, & 3.45 rear = better off-road (with better tires).

jgc4ever 08-24-2011 12:09 PM

Re: How to Transform a Regular Overland into a Trail Rated Overland
 
All you need is the Trial Rated Badge - that's all Jeep is adding and calling it trail rated with no rhyme or reason.

Ron98GT 08-24-2011 12:17 PM

Re: How to Transform a Regular Overland into a Trail Rated Overland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 472084)
All you need is the Trial Rated Badge - that's all Jeep is adding and calling it trail rated with no rhyme or reason.

If all he wants is the bling, go to Quadratec or Jeep and buy the badge.

If he wants to take it off road, he needs to spend some money.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community