Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   So what's your plan? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/so-whats-your-plan-27562.html)

pantheman75 08-24-2011 08:04 AM

So what's your plan?

So when you take EVERYTHING into consideration about the new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (styling, size, more power, more luxury, more weight, exhaust location, multiple significant price increases, omitted updates, updates on the horizon, other cars out there, etc.) what's your plan about getting / not getting the latest Grand Cherokee SRT8?

Schleprock 08-24-2011 08:23 AM

Re: So what's your plan?

As the days pass, and I see how this plays out, I creep closer to NOT going through with the purchase I decided to continue with since pricing was announced. In all honesty, I'm not happy about how units are being sequenced for build. In addition, the price is pretty ridiculous, performance is OK but not mind blowing, and knowing that the new Nav and tranny are eventually coming sucks. I also have serious doubts about the "price protection" logistics. My dealer is pretty on the ball, and he said he saw nothing come his way regarding price protection on early orders, he only sees the new pricing. The only positives that keep me holding on are the nice interior, exclusivity of owning, and having the extra power/handling of the 6.4L even though it's not faster than the WK1.

I'm seriously considering a 2011 Overland right now as it has all of the bells and whistles only not the 6.4L power and handling. oh yeah, and it will be about $16-17,000 cheaper!!

BostonDMD 08-24-2011 08:25 AM

I am giving it a try and getting an SRT instead of the Cayenne Turbo.

Time will tell if it was a wise decision or not......

rusty104 08-24-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 471969)
I'm seriously considering a 2011 Overland right now as it has all of the bells and whistles only not the 6.4L power and handling. oh yeah, and it will be about $16-17,000 cheaper!!

I am in the same boat. But when I read that some of the 5.7 JGC owners have complained about it being dead around 40mph when you stomp on it and others are feeling its overall performance isn't hemi-like I go back to the SRT. As you know, it is at least 2 seconds slower 0-60.

On the other hand does the new tranny/programming (I can't figure out which) on the 2012 help performance significantly? And you can get a lifetime powertrain warranty on the 5.7 but not the 6.4 if you want.

mjw930 08-24-2011 09:53 AM

I have a 2011 Overland and was going to swap it out when the price was in the mid 40's but now I'm waiting to see what they come up with in '13 or '14 and how the market treats the new premium pricing.

Ask me again this time next year and I may have a different answer.

pantheman75 08-24-2011 10:03 AM

Well, here's my story:

I was all set to order a Grand Cherokee SRT8 this year until I found out it still has the old 5-speed transmission, the old stereo / navigation head unit, and that the price was jacked up TWICE. I won't even consider buying the new SRT8 at that price until they include an upgraded transmission and stereo / navigation head unit... features that even entry level Dodge's can get.

Until then, I'm sticking with my peppy "poor man's Grand Cherokee SRT8 lite" 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP with AWD, 24 MPG highway, and 3500 pounds towing for the Wisconsin winters.

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/image...rent-GXP-4.jpg

For the summer months, I get my speed fix with my 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP with the turbo upgrade, cat-back exhaust, with only 5,000 original miles. Nearly 300 HP in a 2 seater convertible is REALLY fun by the way...

http://photos2.liquidmotors.com/kd19...7Y127000_1.jpg

Hopefully, Jeep will "finish" the Grand Cherokee in the next year or two, and maybe MIGHT come to their senses (or be brought back to reality) concerning their price increases. Once the Jeep is set I'll gladly get rid of my two cars and upgrade to a year-round toy :) Until then, Jeep can keep it's "almost there" Grand Cherokee SRT8 with it's massively increased price tag and I'll keep my money and existing cars. Maybe something else will come along in the meantime...

Schleprock 08-24-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 472001)
I have a 2011 Overland and was going to swap it out when the price was in the mid 40's but now I'm waiting to see what they come up with in '13 or '14 and how the market treats the new premium pricing.

Ask me again this time next year and I may have a different answer.

this is my biggest concern with going through on a SRT purchase now....if '14 comes out with the new tranny and nav/radio setup then the 2012-2013 are going to drop like a rock in the ocean. i was an initial owner of a 2004 impulse blue w/ blue interior GTO, I didn't pay a premium thankfully, but still, after 10 months and seeing what the '05 and '06 models were getting I was kicking myself. I sucked it up for another year or so and then dumped the '04 for a small loss and got the '06. I love the GTO though, it's a great car and I plan to keep it. However, used/trade values for '04s dropped significantly because no one wanted the slower, less equipped versions. I see this possible with the 2012-2013 Jeep SRT8.

pantheman75 08-24-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 472036)
this is my biggest concern with going through on a SRT purchase now....if '14 comes out with the new tranny and nav/radio setup then the 2012-2013 are going to drop like a rock in the ocean. i was an initial owner of a 2004 impulse blue w/ blue interior GTO, I didn't pay a premium thankfully, but still, after 10 months and seeing what the '05 and '06 models were getting I was kicking myself. I sucked it up for another year or so and then dumped the '04 for a small loss and got the '06. I love the GTO though, it's a great car and I plan to keep it. However, used/trade values for '04s dropped significantly because no one wanted the slower, less equipped versions. I see this possible with the 2012-2013 Jeep SRT8.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Unless you have unlimited funds to be getting a new $61,000+ car every year or two and can withstand an atomic blast of depreciation once the new better equipped models hit, you're making a HUGE mistake with getting a 2012-2013 model. I totally understand the "you've gotta get in at some point" argument, but with other Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep models already sporting the features that the Grand Cherokee SRT8 is missing tells us that the upgrades are right around the corner and will be well worth the wait. Patience pays off!

BigHemi2 08-24-2011 12:15 PM

I'm going to stick with my order and scrape up the extra money. Simple reason is that I want a performance SUV and there is nothing near the GC SRT8 price, even though I think the price increase is outrageous

bgmail777 08-24-2011 12:52 PM

I intended to place an order for one, but when the price was released that delayed me from doing it while I gave it more thought, and then came the price increase, so, that was "the icing in the cake". I am no longer going to buy it.

Scottina06 08-24-2011 12:54 PM

If I can find one in the specs I want....I will buy

pantheman75 08-24-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 472120)
If I can find one in the specs I want....I will buy

What are the specs that you want?