Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   What does everyone do to save gas? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/what-does-everyone-do-to-save-gas-27564.html)

NikonKiem 08-24-2011 08:16 AM

What does everyone do to save gas?

I know that the Jeep isn't a gas sipper, I knew that when I bought it, but I also did not know that my rugby team was going to move practice from 10 minutes away from my house to 45 minutes. So anyway what do you all do to get better gas mileage, and why isn't this a thread already?

JDM12 08-24-2011 08:51 AM

Re: What does everyone do to save gas?

Keep my tires inflated, perform necessary maintenance, and try to limit unnecessary driving/full throttle blasts!

Lucas J 08-24-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM12 (Post 471978)
Keep my tires inflated, perform necessary maintenance, and try to limit unnecessary driving/full throttle blasts!

This.

Plus my AFE CAI helped increase my MPG by a couple. I am hopeful that my exhaust and flashpaq will help to increase it even more.

But like JDM said driving style can play a big part. Avoiding WOT when you can will definitely help.

GratefulDeadWK 08-24-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikonKiem (Post 471966)
I know that the Jeep isn't a gas sipper, I knew that when I bought it, but I also did not know that my rugby team was going to move practice from 10 minutes away from my house to 45 minutes. So anyway what do you all do to get better gas mileage, and why isn't this a thread already?

Keep your trips to highway driving and you wont use as much gas as you think. The trick is to maintain a constant on the highway. Got to find a happy medium with the speed as well, to slow can cause you to loose momentum and cause the tranny to shift and to fast will just burn burn burn, i.e. 80+ lol.

NikonKiem 08-24-2011 09:27 AM

I already took my roof rack cross bars off,and getting a flaspacq very soon. I try to keep my RPMs as close to 2k as possible. I get about 15.5 but Id like to see that number go just a little higher =)

cobrakillerta 08-24-2011 09:56 AM

What do you guys keep your tires inflated at? I've always read that you should inflate them to the recommended pressure as per the door sticker (33 psi on our WK's) as the trucks suspension/etc. is designed for the that psi.

The reason I ask is that I'm running 285/70/17 BFG A/T's with my OME lift and at 33 psi it seems like the tires may be just a tad under-inflated...Visually and driving they just seem a little 'squish'

Leonexx812 08-24-2011 09:56 AM

Cruise control on highway at 75 I get 18 mpg with afe cai 91 pred tune mds off and. Custom exhaust... installing cc soon hopefully I hit 20 :D

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

You're Limited 08-24-2011 10:03 AM

I tend to drive the speed limit and not much faster.

-Cruise Control whenever possible.
-Wash and wax!
-Weight inside the car. Every extra 100lbs inside takes a toll on MPG as well
-And as mentioned above, tire pressure and regular maintenance.

JeepCoop 08-24-2011 10:05 AM

My DiabloSport Predator tuner helped along w the CAI and 180 tstat. But I find if I drive normal speeds, keep WOT down to a minimum and just go w the flow, it helps a lot.

antsjeep 08-24-2011 11:26 AM

- Use a company car
- Maintain steady MPH on highway
- Easy on the gas pedal off a traffic light

JeepCoop 08-24-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antsjeep (Post 472052)
- Easy on the gas pedal off a traffic light

But it's sooooooooooo hard!!!! Haha ;)

amw5 08-24-2011 11:35 AM

Just like others, keep tires inflated and I am now getting increased gas mileage by using ACES IV from BNG...I can now run 89 octane instead of the 93 and the motor runs much smoother as well. I'm averaging 2mpg better than without the ACES IV and 93 octane. The cost difference is about the same, given the lower gas price of 89 and the increased fuel mileage.