Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Summit Interior: Quality??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/summit-interior-quality-27577.html)

Mark Paul 08-24-2011 01:47 PM

Summit Interior: Quality???

Do you own a Overland Summit?

How is the leather wearing?

I'm on the fence about the Overland Summit interior. I would get a Summit in a minute if it weren't for my concern on the "wearing" of the saddle colored leather. Black leather looks great for a long time. I have noticed that lighter leather colors wear more, and often discolor over time. A friend of mine has a light colored leather interior on her Volvo and it looks horrible in just three years. At last year's SF Auto Show, ALL the light colored interiors looked horrible after people have been in and out of the cars all day. Of course, the black interiors looked perfect.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Mark Paul

ColdCase 08-24-2011 08:15 PM

Re: Summit Interior: Quality???

There is no wear difference, but you may notice dirt more on the lighter colors. A cleaning brings them back to as new. On the other hand, you notice suntan lotion on the black more than the lighter colors. If you spend a lot of time hauling kids to/from the beach, the black may look terrible pretty quick. After a cleaning its back to a new look.

Some say the build quality is a bit better on the Summit interior, but I dunno.

Now Saddle gives you both black door trim and light seats... so regardless something will get dirty :)

jeep2011 08-24-2011 08:47 PM

I had a MB CLK for 8 years and the light oyster looked amazing as the day I bought it. I use a magic eraser a few times to get the dirt off since most leather cleaners/conditioners don't do much for cleaning. Dyed leather however will loose color overtime. My Range Rover dark grey seats started loosing color on the edges after 2 years.

Scottina06 08-25-2011 11:21 AM

the Overland/summit interior won a 10 best in the world award...so it must be nice.

jeep2011 08-25-2011 03:11 PM

Well after having a limited with the nappa leather and going to the overland I can tell you the overlands have full leather on the seats. The limited with nappa was vinyl on the sides. With only 1K miles now the overland is already showing a lot of wear from entering and exiting.

dddurham1975 08-25-2011 04:06 PM

Yes, I just joined the forum today because I too had been experiencing the seat wear issue. Trust me when I say that I am very "particular" about my vehicles and can keep leather seats of all colors looking good as the day I bought the vehicle. This one is the FIRST vehicle where I have experienced this. My 2007 Envoy Denali had 48K when I traded it, the seats showed NO wear.

I posted on the other threads but currently, the dealer has taken pictures and send them over to Chrysler to investigate. Mine has about 7,000 miles now, but the wear started around 3,000 miles... I'm a little worried considering that I buy and not release my vehicles.

Thanks,

-- Dennis

GCOverland 08-25-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 472338)
There is no wear difference, but you may notice dirt more on the lighter colors.

When I owned a car with black leather interior, I actually felt that it was HARDER to keep clean. You may not see dirt - but you certainly see every tiny bit of dust.

jeep2011 08-25-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCOverland (Post 472891)
When I owned a car with black leather interior, I actually felt that it was HARDER to keep clean. You may not see dirt - but you certainly see every tiny bit of dust.

I agree dusts shows horribly on black interiors. That is easily dusted off, but stains or surface dirt on light leather looks worse and is harder to clean.

Mark Paul 08-26-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dddurham1975 (Post 472870)
Yes, I just joined the forum today because I too had been experiencing the seat wear issue. Trust me when I say that I am very "particular" about my vehicles and can keep leather seats of all colors looking good as the day I bought the vehicle. This one is the FIRST vehicle where I have experienced this. My 2007 Envoy Denali had 48K when I traded it, the seats showed NO wear.

I posted on the other threads but currently, the dealer has taken pictures and send them over to Chrysler to investigate. Mine has about 7,000 miles now, but the wear started around 3,000 miles... I'm a little worried considering that I buy and not release my vehicles.

Thanks,

-- Dennis

What color are your seats Dennis? Could you post pictures please?

dddurham1975 08-26-2011 11:20 AM

Hi Mark..

I have the same Saddle leather that everyone else is complaining about. I don't have pictures readily available right now but I can post some later. The wear looks exactly like the pictures that are floating around on the site right now.

Thanks!

BuckeyeSRT 08-26-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dddurham1975 (Post 472870)

Thanks,

-- Dennis

Let's see some pictures

Richpearl 08-26-2011 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=dddurham1975;473382]Hi Mark..

I have the same Saddle leather that everyone else is complaining about. I don't have pictures readily available right now but I can post some later. The wear looks exactly like the pictures that are floating around on the site right now./QUOTE]

I joined JeepGarage because I began jonesin' for a Summit with the Saddle/Black interior. I'm very disappointed to read all the complaints about Saddle wear. Are these complaints really widespread? If so, could be a deal stopper.

Rich