Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Tweaks to improve the JGC (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/tweaks-to-improve-the-jgc-27596.html)

NHman 08-24-2011 08:07 PM

Tweaks to improve the JGC

After 2 months and 2.5k miles of ownership, some observations as to improvements that I would like to see in future models. Some of the comments pertain to my build, being Overland w/ Hemi. The order is not specific to preference or priority.

• Add a keyless touch sensor to tailgate latch. There shouldn't be a separate button to unlock. Perhaps this is done for glass and tailgate.
  • Add keyless touch sensors to rear doors handles.
  • Audio for 730N, needs an overhaul for the interface, Nav and iPod connection. I shouldn't need to reselect the iPod as preferred device each time power is cycled. Yes there can be a 1-2 minute delay for the iPod to be recognized but give me the option for a default device.
  • Terrain Control, allow for user defined default setting (i.e. Sport vs. Auto).
  • Change the interior lighting color from green to blue, red, or something better. Dash lighting is very good.
  • Better response w/ Hemi. My build date is June 2011 and should have the current TSB's. However the throttle response is lacking. Seems to be programmed for fuel economy.
  • More aggressive exhaust profile. Muted for a V8 with some much advertised torque and HP.
  • One-touch window controls for rear.
Overall I do like the JGC but I would like to see some improvements. Perhaps some will be added in the mid-cycle refresh.

Regards,
NHman

Sponge Bob 08-25-2011 06:55 PM

Re: Tweaks to improve the JGC

Iíve been in my í11 GC-X for 10 months now. Here are my top annoyances:
1. The doors open too far. I have to find the widest spot in the lot to prevent making contact with the vehicle next to me. (And have to warn all my passengers to hold the doors.)
2. The overhead console (sun glass holder) blocks a considerable portion of my rear view mirror.
3. The rear wiper mounted on the glass is crazy. It adds weight to the window and reduces visibility.
4. The dashboard mounted HVAC vents cast a reflection in the side view mirrors and window glass. (Was considering removing them and painting them flat black, but canít figure out how to remove them and Jeep is not publishing a Service Manual for another year.)

SilverWK07 08-25-2011 06:57 PM

Sponge_Bob, I don't have a WK2 but have you checked http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_interior_trim.htm yet for your trim removal?

Sponge Bob 08-25-2011 07:08 PM

Silver Ė Thanks for the tip. I checked and did not see instructions for removing the vents. The entire dashboard Ė yes. The vents Ė no. Thanks again. Bob.

Sponge Bob 08-25-2011 07:48 PM

Not sure how I forgot this one: The roof mounted antenna which makes it virtually impossible to park the Jeep in an average size garage. Iím thinking of going with the shark fin, but $80 is kinda steep to resolve Chryslerís poor planning. Címon guysÖ. $40k and I canít park in the garage?!? WTH?

hammer1234 08-26-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sponge Bob (Post 473002)
Iíve been in my í11 GC-X for 10 months now. Here are my top annoyances:
1. The doors open too far. I have to find the widest spot in the lot to prevent making contact with the vehicle next to me. (And have to warn all my passengers to hold the doors.)
2. The overhead console (sun glass holder) blocks a considerable portion of my rear view mirror.
3. The rear wiper mounted on the glass is crazy. It adds weight to the window and reduces visibility.
4. The dashboard mounted HVAC vents cast a reflection in the side view mirrors and window glass. (Was considering removing them and painting them flat black, but canít figure out how to remove them and Jeep is not publishing a Service Manual for another year.)

Have you tried sliding the rear view mirror down? I had the same issue after a windshield install and when the installer came back he figured that one out.

hammer1234 08-26-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sponge Bob (Post 473032)
Not sure how I forgot this one: The roof mounted antenna which makes it virtually impossible to park the Jeep in an average size garage. Iím thinking of going with the shark fin, but $80 is kinda steep to resolve Chryslerís poor planning. Címon guysÖ. $40k and I canít park in the garage?!? WTH?

I have the same issue...My antenna does scrape on the bottom of the opened garage door when I back up out of my garage, which is a bit annoying.

I think that later 2011 builds have a slightly shorter antenna. I may replace mine at some point.

capitalst 08-26-2011 09:23 AM

Just put a Shark Fin on. I love it and looks a lot better. Works great too.

77Cherokee 08-26-2011 09:37 AM

Does your antenna hit the top garage door frame? If not, most rolling door openers allow for door height adjustment. You may have just enough room to clear the antenna. Just a thought.

Celly 08-26-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHman (Post 472331)
  • Add a keyless touch sensor to tailgate latch. There shouldn't be a separate button to unlock. Perhaps this is done for glass and tailgate.
  • Add keyless touch sensors to rear doors handles.
  • Audio for 730N, needs an overhaul for the interface, Nav and iPod connection. I shouldn't need to reselect the iPod as preferred device each time power is cycled. Yes there can be a 1-2 minute delay for the iPod to be recognized but give me the option for a default device.
  • Terrain Control, allow for user defined default setting (i.e. Sport vs. Auto).
  • Change the interior lighting color from green to blue, red, or something better. Dash lighting is very good.
  • Better response w/ Hemi. My build date is June 2011 and should have the current TSB's. However the throttle response is lacking. Seems to be programmed for fuel economy.
  • More aggressive exhaust profile. Muted for a V8 with some much advertised torque and HP.
  • One-touch window controls for rear.

The touch sensors don't bother me too much -- The layout is pretty much the industry standard. And I thought the interior lighting was very well thought out -- I don't care about the color really. And I have never seen a car with auto rear windows. In fact, I think this is a safety feature for pets and kids.

Now The Hemi -- Yes, I think that it deserves a lil more growl. I think they made a big mistake on the design of the exhaust by not making it easy to bolt on an inexpensive axel back upgrade (Only the pass side is bolt on). And the price of the Full exhaust is high. My guess is MDS makes it tough to build an exhaust that pleases everyone, so they went with the safe option on it.

Throttle Response on mine was also sluggish until I put a K&N drop in in. It adds a clear amount of pep to the throttle -- but nothing much more than that. Either way, was well worth the price of admission (I paid $39).

jeep2011 08-26-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celly (Post 473343)
And I have never seen a car with auto rear windows. In fact, I think this is a safety feature for pets and kids.

I agree it needs auto rear windows too. Many manufactures have this feature, but it is in the higher end MB, Lexus, BMW, LR.... the window lock feature is for safety. Also only the driver can auto the rear windows. My LR had auto up and down on all 4 windows. But hey I rarely open mine anyways to need that feature.

Celly 08-26-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sponge Bob (Post 473002)

Dag Nabit.. Never noticed this before.. Now that I have, it bothers me.. I Need to stop reading these gripe threads! :lol: