Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Technical Tips/DIY/How-To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/)
-   -   Front Diff Fluid Change Cheat (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/front-diff-fluid-change-cheat-27604.html)

Mr Chill 08-24-2011 10:23 PM

Front Diff Fluid Change Cheat

So I did the diff and transfer case fluids over the weekend. I notice most folks go find a large allen key set for the 14mm plugs up front. I'm a bit cheap when it comes to buying tools I only use once in a blue moon, so I headed over to the hardware store.

If anyone is looking for a cheap way to get those plugs out, get yourself a 7/16" coupler nut. The piece is just about an inch long. It's a tight fit in the 14mm hole, but the nut is a soft enough metal that you wont have any issues with it getting stuck in there or in your wrench..

Just put a 14mm wrench on there and apply elbow grease. Hope that helps!

suzieque 08-24-2011 11:18 PM

Re: Front Diff fluid change cheat

excellent, I bought the diff fluids and can't find a 14mm hex in town! I will try a coupling nut!

misfit77 08-25-2011 02:14 AM

one of these?

http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/st...uplingNuts.jpg

Thanks for the help...I will be doing this soon.

Walt 08-25-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 472464)
..I...can't find a 14mm hex in town! ....

Ace Hardware. $10. U.S. made.

antsjeep 08-25-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit77 (Post 472516)
one of these?

http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/st...uplingNuts.jpg

Thanks for the help...I will be doing this soon.

those are for threaded rod. But hey, if it works... why not.

Jahkneefive 08-26-2011 08:19 AM

Go buy yourself a hex key for 10 bucks and cut it into 1 inch pieces. Insert into a 14mm socket and viola. Should be able to get 3-4 pieces out of a single key. So split it with your friends.

Walt 08-26-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahkneefive (Post 473289)
....Go buy yourself a hex key for 10 bucks and cut it into 1 inch pieces. .....

No need to cut it. Ace Hardware works just fine as-is.

There isn't much room for a socket and ratchet. I can get the Allen key in fine and tap the long end with a small deadblow hammer if it needs some "persuading" to get started.

suzieque 09-10-2011 09:28 AM

Re: Front Diff Fluid Change Cheat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Chill (Post 472429)
If anyone is looking for a cheap way to get those plugs out, get yourself a 7/16" coupler nut. The piece is just about an inch long. It's a tight fit in the 14mm hole, but the nut is a soft enough metal that you wont have any issues with it getting stuck in there or in your wrench..

ok, so I bought a coupler nut that would fit a 7/16" thread, but apparently that is not correct (at least not correct for me), it was way to large to fit in the hole of the differential drain plug.

I ended up buying a few couplers trying to figure out which one would fit my front differential. I ended up with a coupler that fits inside of a 9/16" wrench. The coupler slide into the hole of the differential drain plug and then I was able to use a 9/16" wrench to turn the coupler nut.

So when shopping for a coupler, bring a 9/16" socket with you and test that it fits snugly in the socket before buying.

Thought I'd pass this along.

suzieque 09-14-2011 10:29 AM

just thought i'd post a quick followup.

the front was a pain, had to remove the skid plate and of course track down the coupling. I tried to fill via my mityvac but gear oil is thick so that took quite a while. it took 1.5 litres plus the 4oz bottle of limited slip.

for the rear, I'm surprised all there is a simple rubber plug! I had the jeep warmed up so draining via the mityvac was not bad. for filling, I used a hose on top of each bottle instead of the mityvac. I never did remove the rear cover. took about 30 min total. it tooks 2 litres plus the 4oz bottle of limited slip.

JeepCoop 09-14-2011 11:32 AM

I just did mine yesterday. Front, rear and xfercase. The most work was taking off the 2 skids and all the red sealer off the rear diff. Weird with that lil rubber plug but it works I guess! lol

I used mobile 1 gear oil, Mopar additive and Mopar xfer case juice. Front took 1.5 liters and 4 ounces of additive. Didn't need to remove diff cover cuz I bought a 14mm hex and cut it to fit. Rear was about 2 liters until it started oozing out. Added the additive as well.

She's driving smooth and clean! Took only 1.5 hours. I def recommend getting a hand pump to refill the front diff and xfercase. Not too much room under there! :thumbsup:

swing4terps 09-14-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCoop (Post 484490)
I used mobile 1 gear oil, Mopar additive and Mopar xfer case juice. Front took 1.5 liters and 40z of additive. Didn't need to remove diff cover cuz I bought a 14mm hex and cut it to fit. Rear was about 2 liters until it started oozing out. Added the additive as well.

Bout to do this...

What do you mean "cut it to fit"? I thought the only way to drain to front and rear diffs was to take off the whole cover. (unless you want to pump out through the fill holes) To remove the covers, don't you need a regular socket to remove the bolts, not a "hex key" as it sounds you're describing?

OR

Do I have this all wrong and the front diff has a single drain plug similar to that of the xfer case?

Bleeding Blue 09-14-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swing4terps (Post 484569)
Bout to do this...

What do you mean "cut it to fit"? I thought the only way to drain to front and rear diffs was to take off the whole cover. (unless you want to pump out through the fill holes) To remove the covers, don't you need a regular socket to remove the bolts, not a "hex key" as it sounds you're describing?

OR

Do I have this all wrong and the front diff has a single drain plug similar to that of the xfer case?

The front diff. and transfer case have drain and fill plugs. I believe you need a 14mm hex head to loosen the nut on the front. For the rear you can "drain" it by pumping it out through the fill hole like in the video. You wont get all of the fluid out, but you will get the majority out.

Check this thread for some How to videos:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/how-to-wk-maintenance-videos-5292.html