Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   To anyone with HIDs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/to-anyone-with-hids-27606.html)

maltesesteeze 08-24-2011 10:33 PM

To anyone with HIDs

I just installed 35W HID 9006 bulbs in my 05 WK. They work great BUT if I turn them off from use and then try and turn them back on they wont turn on. So if i pull up to a gas station and turn off my lights and fill up, they wont come back on until they have sat for a while. It is so intermittent that I dont think its an overheat issue, because if they stay on theyll run for hours issue free, but sometimes I could turn them on for 10 seconds, off, then they will not come back on. running lights and brights remain unchanged and the people I bought the HIDs from have no clue...

Anyone seen this?

Will a relay solve this?

Thanks!!!!

DAVY27 08-24-2011 11:02 PM

Re: To anyone with HIDs

i think the relay will solve the problem.

TurboDiesel 08-25-2011 07:36 AM

yes the relay will solve this
because ur running a 35w bulb but the car wants 50w so it turns off power to it cause it thinks its burnt out
only way to get the lights on is with a surge of power, i unplugged mine then plugged back in while the truck was running

use that method untill u get a relay harness
i wired my relay harness to my parking light, so everytime parking light turns on so do my headlights

JeepCoop 08-25-2011 09:11 AM

Def a relay!

maltesesteeze 08-25-2011 08:58 PM

Thanks guys, just ordered one, I'll keep you posted

maltesesteeze 08-30-2011 12:51 AM

Put in the 40A relay today, and first drive to the store, with plenty of turning off and on shows its fixed, no issues at all. I'll update if something changes but looks like you guy nailed it, $10 relay is worth having working headlights, thanks!!

TurboDiesel 08-30-2011 07:20 AM

good stuff! glad u got it working

couldnt live without HIDs

TJXJWJ 08-30-2011 08:36 AM

I REALLY try to NOT turn mine off and on much. From what I've read, HID bulbs can last a REALLY long time if you don't cycle them a lot. Either way, you still needed a relay.

TurboDiesel 08-30-2011 07:04 PM

yea its like anything else
keep turning them on and off will just kill them

i made it so when i unlock or lock my car they dont even come on just for that reason

maltesesteeze 09-02-2011 01:20 AM

Yeah I turned off the unlock illumination as well, still working perfect, relay cures all, thanks again

TurboDiesel 09-02-2011 06:37 PM

yea no problem
glad u got them working

also couldnt live without these forums LOL so much knowledge