Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Slight vibration (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/slight-vibration-27613.html)

jp467 08-24-2011 11:10 PM

Slight vibration

I have an Overland with the 20 inch wheels. Sometimes I get a slight vibration/shimmy in the steering wheel at about 68 to 72 mph. Most of the time its not there. I switched from the Foterias to Michelin latitude touring Hp because it did this with the Goodyears as well. I was just wondering if any other have this. It is very slight if I take my hands off the wheel at this speed I can see the slight shimmy. Its only once in a while its there. I think if it was a balance issue it would always be there at that speed. Any ideas?

capitalst 08-25-2011 08:52 AM

Re: Slight vibration

i have the same issue. Mine starts to come on around 6 mph by 68-70 the whole jeep and wheel shimmies a good amount making the ride feel unstable. Bring mine in next week when i have time to sit there and have them fix a few other issues. I have a feeling from past experience that this is a balancing issue. I assume who ever installs these tires at the factory is probably smoking pot and drinking on their break like the other idiots that were busted a few months back.

jp467 08-25-2011 11:57 AM

Mine is nothing like that just a slight vibration in the wheel at 68-72 mph. Yours does not sound like tire balance. It is most likely going to be a driveshaft vibration when it through the whole vehicle and through a large range like that.

2005JGC 08-25-2011 01:59 PM

a steering wheel shimmy is generally a tire balance issue (unless its during braking then its a pretty severe rotor thickness variation issue)... a driveshaft wont cause the wheel to shimmy. Sometimes tires spin on the wheel before the bead really grabs hold of the rim, when this happens you have an unbalanced wheel. Even with the tire changes I personally my first step would be to roadforce balance the wheels and verify they are properly balanced.

SteveM 08-28-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 472736)
Mine is nothing like that just a slight vibration in the wheel at 68-72 mph. Yours does not sound like tire balance. It is most likely going to be a driveshaft vibration when it through the whole vehicle and through a large range like that.

I have been chasing a vibration in my GC Overland since driving off the first day, months ago. They've balanced the tires multiple times (Dealer and Tire Store) and roadforced tested for of out of round (were found within spec). Pretty sure my QL lift system is the culprit but nobody from Jeep seems to have a resolution, other than trading in.....
I didn't expect to pay an Overland premium price to be constantly jarred by vibration at 60+ MPH.

Jeff_Jeske 08-29-2011 11:38 PM

I have the same vibration. I was hoping it was tire balance. Could this be used for lemon law?

bmrisko 12-09-2011 02:22 PM

Steve/Jeff, any updates on your vibration issues? I drove our old 2002 Tahoe w/ 130k miles and original drive train to work this morning and couldn't help but notice it was a lot smoother than our 2012 Overland w/ 400 miles on the odometer.

jp467 12-09-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 530991)
Steve/Jeff, any updates on your vibration issues? I drove our old 2002 Tahoe w/ 130k miles and original drive train to work this morning and couldn't help but notice it was a lot smoother than our 2012 Overland w/ 400 miles on the odometer.

If you are talking about a vibration from what I have been able to tell it seems to have a lot to do with the 20" wheels and tires. I have had vibrations from time to time It seems its hard to keep these things balanced. I just had the rears balanced today because I was getting a vibration from the rear. Its either the third or forth time I have had tires balanced since I have had it 10K miles. For today its smooth again though. It seems to help to keep the tire pressue up above 36 psi although you then pay a price with the ride quality. I am really thinking about going to the 18" wheels but I hate to do that because I like the looks of the 20" so much.