Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Transfer Case Issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/transfer-case-issue-27635.html)

DaBigBone 08-25-2011 04:58 PM

Transfer Case Issue

My girlfriends WK broke down today. It was towed to the dealer and was told that the clutch within the transfer case busted. I'm not too familiar with 4x4 systems, but is their even a clutch in a transfer case? Also, she was quoted $1200 to have it fixed and $900 of that was labor. Anybody know where I can buy a new case? I could do the work myself...

Thanks for the help!

By the way, it's a 2005 Limited 5.7 Hemi

robpp 08-25-2011 05:19 PM

Re: Transfer Case Issue

buy a used one on car-part.

ijeep did it, paid 250 for the case and like 200 to install it.

Jahkneefive 08-26-2011 08:22 AM

If it's a full time system then it has clutch packs for tq distribution in the xfer case. You can buy a used one for fairly cheap, but you then take a risk that it will go out.

Chaoul1 08-26-2011 08:29 AM

I'm pretty sure all 5.7L came with Quadra-Drive II, so make sure you get a QD-II. Second of all, don't buy a used one because you don't know how the previous owner of the vehicle has driven and it could be worn out or something.

Just be careful buying one! I'm going to the dealership today because every time I shift it into Drive my Jeep Creaks/Clunks. So I'll find out what's wrong.

bradley4kc 08-26-2011 09:53 AM

DBB - Honestly, I am of no help with the fix, but out of curiosity - was that the only damage and was the WK taken to the dealer on a roll-off or a wrecker? If it was a wrecker and the transfer case wasn't shifted to neutral (not just the transmission neutral) it can do some damage.

DaBigBone 08-28-2011 05:18 PM

It was taken on a flatbed.

My biggest concern is that it only has 65k miles on it, doesn't seem like it should be breaking already

Crestwood1001 08-28-2011 05:43 PM

Chaolu, have you checked all the bushings under there? I believe the transfer case ones going bad and cause that slamming when going into gear.

Chaoul1 08-28-2011 06:05 PM

I went to the Dealership this past Friday, they said that my Front Differential Bushing Mounts are all fudged up so they need to be replaced. They said that would fix the creaking/clunking. So I'm taking it to my friends shop and he's going to look at it one more time. If it is that then I'm buying the ORM Parts myself and I'll get them installed.

Why did her T-Case go out? Did she ever change the fluid in there?

Crestwood1001 08-28-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 474576)
I went to the Dealership this past Friday, they said that my Front Differential Bushing Mounts are all fudged up so they need to be replaced. They said that would fix the creaking/clunking. So I'm taking it to my friends shop and he's going to look at it one more time. If it is that then I'm buying the ORM Parts myself and I'll get them installed.

Thats the issue I was talking about, The first two are semi easy to get to, I believe the top one is a pain to reach and they say you have to drop the dif which means a bunch of other stuff to move around.

DaBigBone 08-28-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 474576)

She purchased the Jeep about 3 weeks ago and the service records at the dealer showed a fresh fluid change so I didn't change it.

Chaoul1 08-28-2011 08:16 PM

Wow....That's not fair....Talk to the Service Manager. I'm waiting for the my Service Manager to speak to me about a bearing going out in my Rear Differential, since the rear-end was rebuilt a while back and now I have a whining noise. Maybe you can come up with some kind of deal.

So $300 for a new Transfercase? Buy it and get someone else to install it. Shouldn't be that bad to install!

TurboDiesel 08-28-2011 09:10 PM

if u have to, i would do as stated above

they said $1200 with $900 being labor
take the new transfer case for $300 and either do it urself or get someone else to

but i would first talk to the dealer

i dont know about in the states but in Canada there is like a 30 day grace period im pretty sure, where if something serious happens u are covered