Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Front Drive shaft ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/front-drive-shaft-27647.html)

Tim2 08-25-2011 07:43 PM

Front Drive shaft ?

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland and was wondering if I could remove my front drive shaft without couseing problems with the transmission or transfer case ? it is a quadraa drive setup. I was wanting to see if the fuel mileage would improve?

Bslagle05 08-25-2011 07:57 PM

Re: Front Drive shaft ?

you will ruin your transfer case... there is a viscous coupling in your transfer case that connects your front and rear drive shaft... the coupling spins as your front drive shaft and rear drive shaft both spin.. if you take out your front drive shaft, you will ruin your viscous coupling.

The only reason I know all this is because a buddy of mine bought an old Range Rover kinda blindly and found out the front drive shaft was taken out. usually people only take out a drive shaft if the differential is trashed. Once the front drive shaft is removed, then you trash your transfer case.

cheapjeep 08-25-2011 08:08 PM

I did this with a '96 ZJ 249 t-case with no ill effects because I had to get the shaft rebuilt and it was my only vehicle. Don't know how a 247 will like it though. I can tell you it wont save you anything in mileage cause the t-case output and front end are still turning because its a hubless system. It would really smoke the rear tires though:lol:The downside is it would get stuck in wet grass or if someone spit on the road.

Bslagle05 08-25-2011 09:01 PM

when i say the t-case is trashed, it will be fine if you keep the driveshaft out... just dont plan on ever putting the driveshaft back in... if you try to put the driveshaft back in, then yes you will have to replace the t-case

cheapjeep 08-25-2011 09:47 PM

I ran my 249 for a month without the front ds because I was working 7 days a week and didn't have time to re install the rebuilt shaft. Never hurt a thing. Put the new shaft in and it ran fine for years until I sold it. People hear "viscous coupler"and say ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh that fragile glass thing deep in there that runs on snake oil and performs motion magic cause of all the misleading info on the web. It's nothing more than a hydraulic diff and really not that fragile at least in a Jeep anyway. But as I posted earlier there is no benefit to running without it in a GC unless you have a bad shaft and still need your wheels.

Frango100 08-26-2011 10:32 AM

There is no viscous coupling in a 247 T-case, but a progressive coupling. I did remove my front propeller shaft for some weeks awaiting a new CV joint and my T-case is still ok.

Martyp 08-26-2011 01:29 PM

I researched this and found it had no ill effects on the t-case. I am considering doing it next year (spring>fall) to light up the rears and for dyno'ing. :D

kenbob 10-31-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 473124)
I ran my 249 for a month without the front ds because I was working 7 days a week and didn't have time to re install the rebuilt shaft. Never hurt a thing. Put the new shaft in and it ran fine for years until I sold it. People hear "viscous coupler"and say ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh that fragile glass thing deep in there that runs on snake oil and performs motion magic cause of all the misleading info on the web. It's nothing more than a hydraulic diff and really not that fragile at least in a Jeep anyway. But as I posted earlier there is no benefit to running without it in a GC unless you have a bad shaft and still need your wheels.

I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee Overland with Quad Track. Currently, when vehicle sits overnight or several hours, I get the jerkys when making a turn or two with the steering wheel. I had a shop look at the transfer case fluid and it was contaminated. Changed the fluid, but still have the jerkys, but not as bad. I really do not have the need for four wheel drive any longer since I drive only on hard surface, not winter conditions, since currently spend winters in FL. I have been quoted upwards of $1400 for replacement of transfer case. I have no facilities to any work myself, and probably wouldn't anyway. I need to drive it back to Illinois soon from Florida. Do you have and advice for me. Thanks