Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   shark fin guys - can anyone speak to reception after install? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/shark-fin-guys-can-anyone-speak-to-reception-after-install-27687.html)

1200RT-P 08-26-2011 01:51 PM

shark fin guys - can anyone speak to reception after install?

i listen to AM (yes - am) talk radio, as well as some FM and Sat radio. I'm in the middle of LA, so most stuff comes in very well, but I will say that the GC has the best radio reception i've had in cars in some years - probably due to the external antenna (most cars i've had recently have inside-glass or shark fin antennas).

I would like to install a shark fin, but am worried about reception degradation.

Thoughts?

tat2boy 08-26-2011 02:03 PM

Re: shark fin guys - can anyone speak to reception after install?

I recently installed a sharkfin on my WK2 and was worried that I would lose reception as well but so far it has worked just fine. I don't listen to AM but FM and Sat radio work just as before.

capitalst 08-26-2011 02:10 PM

Works great. At least for me I feel my reception is better than before. I had static in some areas after I installed the shark fin I don't get the static anymore.

AAAA 08-26-2011 03:18 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with satellite.

jgc4ever 08-26-2011 03:27 PM

I could do without AM or FM and wish I could order a WK2 with no AM/FM antenna at all (and no hole in the roof). Sirius is great though.

pwguy 08-26-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 473524)
I don't think it has anything to do with satellite.

In theory it does have something to do with satellite as it covers the installed satellite antenna and interposes metallic parts. I have noticed no degradation there though nor any on AM or FM.

1200RT-P 08-26-2011 04:38 PM

my past experience with satellite signals in aviation and automotive has proven them to be pretty reliable thru obstructions. i'm mostly concerned with am/fm reception, but i'm glad to hear it works well with Sat...

Smooth1 08-26-2011 05:54 PM

I have the stock antenna on now. I'm about to put on a shark fin I bought. I'll let you know if I experience any differences. With the stock antenna, as soon as I go in my garage I lose sat radio. My Mercedes ML was the same though. So I don't know about how reliable it is through obstacles like1200RT-P is saying. I went to a covered car wash to hose the wheels off and even that cover cut out sat radio.

J13ntv 08-26-2011 08:23 PM

My sat cuts out more then my volvo used to, without the integrated sat it was a unit and antenna on the roof in the volvo. However the sat in the Jeepseems to break in and out when on roads with trees over the streets, which are a lot here on Long Island.

My FM is worse with the sharkfin installed, that is for my geographical location as soon as installed it, I noticed a degrade in signal depending on where I am traveling and how close I may be to other interference such as NYC. It does not pick up more then half the stations I should be getting. Since I don't listen to FM much, I have left the sharkfin for aesthetics, I know its not effecting the SAT. I even thought the SAT was in the dash, NOT on the roof... as per other threads from many months ago

nek121328 08-26-2011 09:52 PM

My favorite rural FM stations have changed their formats and I'm now listening more to Sirius which is unfortunate. Have on going reception issues with Sirius with the leaves on the trees. It's almost like a CD player studdering.

Microbmen 08-27-2011 11:41 AM

Which shark fin to get??? Link please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pwguy 08-27-2011 11:53 AM

I wonder if some of the variations in performance that have been reported may be due to the paint. This is the reason I ordered my antenna unpainted and painted it with flat black non-metallic paint. Those metals in some of the paints could certainly attenuate a signal.