Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Code P1389 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/jeep-grand-cherokee-laredo-code-p1389-27689.html)

beto4632 08-26-2011 02:08 PM

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Code P1389

Hi,
Im new to the jeep garage hope im on the right section.
So yesterday I was driving back home on the freeway and all of a suden my car starts decelerating so I pull over to the side. Turn off the car and try to turn it back on and nothing. I got a buddy to come see what could be wrong and with his code checker he got the code "P1389" No ASD Relay Output Voltage At PCM.. This is the 1st time this has happend ever since ive had my car. The oil and temperature gage would not move there was no way of starting the car so it had to be towed back home. Any suggestion or help will be great I love my jeep its my daily driver.
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.0 2wd V6
The help will be very appreciated.

Frango100 08-26-2011 02:16 PM

Re: Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Code P1389

Welcome to the garage.
I would start changing the ASD relay in the Power Distribution Center (under the hood). There are probably some more same relays in there, so you could first swap it with an other one to see if that will solve your problem, before buying a new one. Also fuse 6 (30A) and 26 (15A) in the PDC could be the problem. And fuse 12 (10A) on the junction block (fuseblock under the steering wheel), check them out first.
By the way, your engine is an I6....:D
Also the next time you would have engine problems, you can check the fault codes without scanner. Just switch the ignition switch 3 times from OFF to ON and leave it in ON after the third time. The odometer will show you your fault code(s), or DONE will appear when no faults present.

beto4632 08-26-2011 03:37 PM

Frango 100 Thank You!
I dont know were the the ASD relay is located? So I started by changing the 12 (10a) fuse under the steering wheel. Turned it on nothing. So i went under the hood and found out that the 26 (15a) fuse was blown! so i changed it for another 15a and turned it on and it ran for about 30sec before it turned off and i checked the fuse and was blown again. did it once more ran for about a min and turned off again. but the oil gauge gauge rose but the temperature gauge did not move.

Frango100 08-26-2011 04:58 PM

So there is too much current drawn, but not really a short circuit. Remove the negative battery lead and then disconnect the PCM connectors. Connect negative battery lead again and put new fuse on 26. Put the ignition switch in on and see after a minute or so if the fuse is blown again or not. If not, the problem is probably in the PCM. If yes, you probably have a shaved through wire from the PDC to the PCM.
The ASD relay will not be the problem in this case, because the fuse 26 is after the relay in the electrical circuit.

Frango100 08-26-2011 05:45 PM

Looking into the wiring schematic, i see that also all the fuel injectors are connected to this same fuse 26. So there could also be a problem with one of the injectors, or the wiring going to them. If the PCM seems to be ok, you could remove all the fuel injector connectors. If you have a multimeter you could measure to see if there is a resistance to ground from the dark green/light green wire from the injector connectors, or you use a new fuse again. Only in this way you will use a lot of fuses before discovering the problem. But check all the wires from the fuel injectors for chaving with any metal surface.
Success.

JeepMe 08-26-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 473582)
Looking into the wiring schematic, i see that also all the fuel injectors are connected to this same fuse 26. So there could also be a problem with one of the injectors, or the wiring going to them. If the PCM seems to be ok, you could remove all the fuel injector connectors. If you have a multimeter you could measure to see if there is a resistance to ground from the dark green/light green wire from the injector connectors, or you use a new fuse again. Only in this way you will use a lot of fuses before discovering the problem. But check all the wires from the fuel injectors for chaving with any metal surface.
Success.

It's times like this where I wish they made "testing breakers" for troubleshooting. Sometimes it would be easier to start disconnecting from the end to see when a breaker stops getting tripped.

StephenE 08-26-2011 09:59 PM

They do make 12V DC circuit breakers (http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=677-0397).
I would recommend finding the source of the short before using something like a self-resetting circuit breaker as there is a reason that the fuse keeps blowing and you could potentially destroy something else in an attempt to find the fault.

JeepMe 08-28-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenE (Post 473690)
They do make 12V DC circuit breakers (http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=677-0397).
I would recommend finding the source of the short before using something like a self-resetting circuit breaker as there is a reason that the fuse keeps blowing and you could potentially destroy something else in an attempt to find the fault.

I'm talking about something that would be temporarily used in place of a fuse while troubleshooting and trying to find the short. You could then determine where in the circuit the short is located w/out ever having to break out the meter.

Chewy1974 05-17-2014 11:01 PM

Im having a very similar problem with my jeep, was there any fix that worked?
I swapped my asd relay with my pcm relay and had the same effect. It will only run when I replace the #26 fuse and only for a minute or so.

Frango100 05-17-2014 11:12 PM

Welcome to the garage.
Does your jeep have the 4.0 engine? It seems that a thick wire bundle can have shaving somewhere on the aft side of the cylinder head.

Chewy1974 05-17-2014 11:17 PM

Yes it is the I6 4.0 engine.
so you think there's a short in the harness that goes around the backside of the motor?

Frango100 05-18-2014 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy1974 (Post 1024038)
Yes it is the I6 4.0 engine.
so you think there's a short in the harness that goes around the backside of the motor?

Yes, the wiring overthere seems to be passing around a bolt and on many other 4.0 have presented wire chaving problems.