Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Possible Factory Defect, WK2 Side Chrome Molding Coming Off! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/possible-factory-defect-wk2-side-chrome-molding-coming-off-27718.html)

RyanHM 08-27-2011 12:23 PM

Possible Factory Defect, WK2 Side Chrome Molding Coming Off!

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I have a bit of an unusual problem with my WK2. First off, its got the 5.7, its a laredo X, and about 10,000 miles. I have been the original owner and have not been in any accidents or havent damaged the Jeep by running it into anything, at least not that I know of lol.

Anyways, my fiance and I were leaving the store last night and I had a grocery bag I wanted to put in the back seat. I went and opened up the drivers side rear passenger door, and it would barely open! I looked at the bottom of the door and realized the culprit, the chrome molding that extends along the side of the vehicle was caught in the drivers side front door and peeling off, along with rubbing into the door and scratching it, taking the paint right off. I couldnt believe it. I checked the other side of the car, and compared to that it looks like the factory put the chrome molding on too close to the driver's side door, causing it to get caught between the doors when you open it, and peel off.

I took some pictures (yes, I know the Jeep is a bit dirty) and called the service department at my dealership. Today is a Saturday and they want me to bring it in on Monday after I get out of work. I told them I need a rental car as I think this is a bit ridiculous for a $40,000.00 vehicle to be doing this, and he said he will see if his rental guy has any on Monday. Let me know what you guys think, I hope the dealer doesnt put up a fight about this.

Ryan

DAVY27 08-27-2011 12:33 PM

Re: Possible Factory Defect, WK2 Side Chrome Molding Coming Off!

isnt the wk2 moldings held on by doublesided tape? if so just peel off the old tape and apply a new strip

Jeeters 08-27-2011 12:47 PM

Doesn't seem like a big deal. Easy to fix.

It's not like your transmission blew up.

Curly 08-28-2011 12:30 PM

I fixed that issue before picking up the car, I had the dealer remove the side molding.:D

sined240 08-28-2011 05:37 PM

After this thread, I went to go look at my car. Lo and behold some of the ends were "loose" but not lifted. It is safe to say that the moldings are rigid and are ever so slightly concave. Also, I believe that the factory did not put enough pressure during installation, which caused it to lift and once dirt gets underneath, it will never adhere properly.

So before anything drastic happens, I cut up some 3m paint protection film and wrapped down the ends, folding it back into the inner door skins.

While not the best solution, I rather do this than have the moldings start to fall off and become loose or cause damage. This is a cheap part and I can replace them in the future at my own expense rather than a high school tech doing an improper job.

markp99 08-29-2011 06:42 AM

From the photo, it appears as if there may not a proper gap between the front and rear molding sections - causing the interference and lifting. Just looked at mine, there is a 3/8" to 1/4" gap (paint) on either side of the door edges.

Photo 1 makes it appear as if the rear molding has no gap at all, and possibly a slight overhang!

Photo 2 makes the front molding gap appear to be as large as 3/4". I wonder if its possible the rear molding displaced the front molding - seems unlikely, unless the underlying tape is also displaced.

Could be just the angle of the images, but looks odd to me. Should be a no brainer for your dealer to correct.

Good luck

markp99 09-09-2011 09:48 AM

Ryan,

Whatever became of this issue? Did dealer fix it? Any painting required??