Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   WJ Rear Brake upgrades?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/wj-rear-brake-upgrades-27732.html)

StephenE 08-27-2011 07:24 PM

WJ Rear Brake upgrades??

I am in the process of upgrading my brakes and I have new rotors (R1Concepts front & rear), pads (going with HAWK or EBC), Goodridge braided stainless lines to replace the rubber ones, a 5th brake braided stainless brake line from classic tube to replace the rear center rubber hose. I have replacement calipers for the front (Akebono) and have been shopping around to see if there is any upgrade to the rear caliper. I am looking for something that will mount to the factory bracket and use the factory rotor. I would prefer a caliper that does not use a brake pad spring kit. I am not looking for the high end Brembo, AP Racing, SSBC and many others, just looking for something similar to the Akebono caliper in the front.

Thanks

cheapjeep 08-27-2011 10:04 PM

Re: WJ Rear Brake upgrades??

Actually the rear calipers on a WJ are just fine.The fronts are the problem. With the rotor,pad,line and front caliper combo you're going with you're gonna be more than happy.

StephenE 08-27-2011 11:14 PM

Thanks

I just want to ensure I explore every option before purchasing rear calipers. I drive over a 1000' tall hill (2 miles up one side and three miles down the other side) twice a day to and from work. I have experienced spongy pedal and brake fade some times on the way down as there are lots of switch backs and traffic at times. I want a braking system that can endure the hill and still have enough braking ability to stop the Jeep quick. That is why I chose the drilled and slotted rotors and braided stainless lines.

cheapjeep 08-27-2011 11:30 PM

IMO the braided lines are gonna make the biggest difference. Also If you want serious braking stay away from ceramics.I have 'em along with drilled & slotted rotors,they keep the wheels clean but they just don't stop like a good set of semi metallics.After these wear out(if they ever do) I'm going back.

StephenE 08-27-2011 11:50 PM

I am glad to hear the braided lines will make that much of a difference, they were expensive enough. :}

Anyone know if the EBC Yellowstuff pads are worth the extra cash vs. Greenstuff 6000 or 7000 or Hawk pads?

FredoinSF 08-28-2011 02:38 PM

I have EBC greenstuff at all 4 corners and drive from Sea level to 7,700 ft pass in the Sierras all the time. No problems.
Good shocks help too, the Bilsteins are best IMHO.

TJXJWJ 08-28-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredoinSF (Post 474434)
I have EBC greenstuff at all 4 corners and drive from Sea level to 7,700 ft pass in the Sierras all the time. No problems.
Good shocks help too, the Bilsteins are best IMHO.

I've got this same set up...EBC greens and their rotors all the way around, upgraded sways and Bilstiens at all 4 corners. All the brake fluid got flushed and I'm VERY happy with my braking performance

Chuck 08-28-2011 08:41 PM

Any link on the brake lines? First time I'm hearing about these, they should be a huge improvement. I'd go with EBC, I have the Hawk HPS and they are good but I don't think I'd buy them again.

and x2 on the Bilstein shocks :D

StephenE 08-28-2011 09:36 PM

Chuck,
Here is a link to Classic Tube, they make the 5 line set. The set for the WJ is SBH6277, near the bottom of this page is their PDF catalog. http://www.classictube.com/brdhoses.asp

Or, you could order a Goodridge 15008 set like I did, then still have to order the rear center brake line from Classic Tube. I have not received my 5th brake line from Classic Tube yet (when you order the 5th line only, it is made to order).

The Goodridge lines do not have a protective covering and I ordered 4:1 dual wall heat shrink tubing to protect it. I ordered the 1" size that will shrink to 1/4". The inner wall melts like hot glue and attaches directly to the stainless braid.

Tony,
How hard is it to install the Addco sway bars? I am enjoying my Bilsteins, but I would like to get rid of some of the body roll. Did you go with the grease-able bushings?

Does everyone use DOT3 brake fluid or DOT4?

Chuck 08-28-2011 09:47 PM

I know the Addco question wasn't addressed to me but the rear sway bar is extremely easy (remove 4 bolts, remove old bar, place new bar, put bolts back on). Check this link out for install and just details about it:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/swaybars.htm

I love the rear bar and really does make a difference. Get the greaseable bushings for the rear.