Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Oil Change Indicator Reset? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/oil-change-indicator-reset-27749.html)

HammFist 08-28-2011 12:52 PM

Oil Change Indicator Reset?
 
I just did my first oil change (3000 miles, before the EVIC started nagging) because I'm preparing for a long trip and decided I would feel better with the break-in oil removed. I performed the oil change indicator reset procedure from the owner's manual, but there was no feedback whether it was really reset or not. Is there any way to tell?

The manual assumes that the EVIC oil change indicator was telling you to change, and says if you reset it successfully that should get turned off, but in my case that is no help.

BTW, as others have reported, the oil filter o-ring stayed on the engine when I removed the OEM filter, so remember to check that every time. I guess it runs pretty hot.

HammFist 08-28-2011 02:41 PM

Re: Oil Change Indicator Reset?
 
I forgot to mention, kudos to Jeep for making it easy to change the 5.7L oil and oil filter. I have had several vehicles over the years where the designers apparently forgot that the oil and filter are the most serviced part of the engine -- Jeep didn't.

Milous 08-28-2011 02:56 PM

Re: Oil Change Indicator Reset?
 
On the WK1 a confirmation message appears after reset, should be the same for the WK2. If you didn't see a message then you would know if it was reset the next time you started the vehicle. If not reset the "Oil Change" message would keep coming up.

ColdCase 08-28-2011 03:57 PM

Re: Oil Change Indicator Reset?
 
I think the OP changed the oil before the indicator said it was time. So there was no visual to reset, but he wanted to start the "timer" again..

Milous 08-28-2011 05:09 PM

Re: Oil Change Indicator Reset?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 474492)
I think the OP changed the oil before the indicator said it was time. So there was no visual to reset, but he wanted to start the "timer" again..

Ah, I see. Don't believe that it can be "user" reset until the message appears. I miss the display on my '06, it was on the nav screen and could be easily reset as well as selecting different intervals. Don't know why they didn't incorporate this into the later radios.

HammFist 08-28-2011 05:33 PM

Re: Oil Change Indicator Reset?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 474531)
Ah, I see. Don't believe that it can be "user" reset until the message appears.

A somewhat annoying design. On my Pacifica you can reset the oil change interval at will. I suppose I will have to wait until it starts warning me to change the oil, then reset it -- and keep track of mileage like I always do. Thanks.

Technosavant 08-28-2011 06:12 PM

Re: Oil Change Indicator Reset?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 474531)
Ah, I see. Don't believe that it can be "user" reset until the message appears. I miss the display on my '06, it was on the nav screen and could be easily reset as well as selecting different intervals. Don't know why they didn't incorporate this into the later radios.

I think it can. My first oil change was done at 6000 miles (before the indicator triggered), and the dealer did reset the counter, presumably by using the normal "press the pedal" method. The indicator did not come on again until 7500 miles had elapsed.

And for the record, there is no special break in oil used. I'm not sure if anybody has a special oil for that anymore.

HammFist 08-28-2011 10:30 PM

Re: Oil Change Indicator Reset?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 474582)
I think it can. My first oil change was done at 6000 miles (before the indicator triggered), and the dealer did reset the counter, presumably by using the normal "press the pedal" method. The indicator did not come on again until 7500 miles had elapsed.

And for the record, there is no special break in oil used. I'm not sure if anybody has a special oil for that anymore.

I did the reset, there just was no indication that it worked. Only time will tell, I guess. The dealers have diagnostic computers that allows them to do anything from reading codes to re-programming the ECU, so they can probably reset the counter with that.

When I said "break-in oil", I just meant the oil used while all the parts were getting to know each other. Letting my age show again ...

Technosavant 08-29-2011 10:09 AM

Re: Oil Change Indicator Reset?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HammFist (Post 474724)
I did the reset, there just was no indication that it worked. Only time will tell, I guess. The dealers have diagnostic computers that allows them to do anything from reading codes to re-programming the ECU, so they can probably reset the counter with that.

When I said "break-in oil", I just meant the oil used while all the parts were getting to know each other. Letting my age show again ...

Yeah, there's no indication, but it does reset if done right.

And by the way, ha ha, you're old! :p:D

Richpearl 08-29-2011 10:50 AM

Re: Oil Change Indicator Reset?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 474880)
And by the way, ha ha, you're old! :p:D

Old age and guile beats youth and agility every time.
:D

Andrew Klossner 08-29-2011 05:54 PM

Re: Oil Change Indicator Reset?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 474582)
My first oil change was done at 6000 miles (before the indicator triggered), and the dealer did reset the counter, presumably by using the normal "press the pedal" method. The indicator did not come on again until 7500 miles had elapsed.

If the indicator hadn't triggered by 6000 miles, then you were on the 8000-mile schedule with the first indication at 7500 miles (500 miles before target.) It doesn't sound like the dealer's early reset did anything.

Technosavant 08-29-2011 08:21 PM

Re: Oil Change Indicator Reset?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 475190)
If the indicator hadn't triggered by 6000 miles, then you were on the 8000-mile schedule with the first indication at 7500 miles (500 miles before target.) It doesn't sound like the dealer's early reset did anything.

I was perhaps not as clear as I should have been. The indicator did not trip until 7500 miles after that reset, not at 7500 showing on the odometer. Yes, it seems like it does have me on the 8000 mile interval, but the indicator did reset.

First oil change at 6K miles, indicator reset.
Indicator triggers for oil change 7500 miles later at 13,500 indicated mileage.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community