Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   CV Shaft, or something else...????? HELP! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/cv-shaft-or-something-else-help-27758.html)

dhackwichita 08-28-2011 03:52 PM

CV Shaft, or something else...????? HELP!

Ok, so I just installed my 20" SRT Reps yesterday, and now today I am having some issues......

I was driving on the highway, and my tire pressure light comes on. I thought it was disconnected after they installed my rims, but Ok, no big deal....Then, after I get off of the highway, and start to do some city driving, I am feeling a weird clicking, rattling, or shuddering coming from the front left tire. It seems only to be present when I accelerate, and almost un-noticeable when I am just coasting. My first guess was a CV shaft, but it just seems too coincidental because I just installed my REPS yesterday.....And I am 100% sure that my tires/rims were balanced properly, because it did not shake or vibrate at all, not even at 80mph+, until my tire pressure light came on, and this issue started......

HELP PLEASE!!!

2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Scottina06 08-28-2011 03:56 PM

Re: CV Shaft, or something else...????? HELP!

check out the tire...maybe you ran over somehting on the highway?

Did they reinstall the tpms on the new SRT reps?

dhackwichita 08-28-2011 04:18 PM

Ok, part of me is completely pissed, and part of me is completely relieved.....

It appears that the incompetent mechanic at Firestone that installed my rims/tires, didnt feel like he needed to tighten my lug nuts on both the left front, and left rear tires!! They were so loose, that I turned a few of them only half a turn, and they fell off!! Thank god my wheels didnt fall off on the highway!! Needless to say, I will be having a nice little conversation with the Firestone idiots tomorrow when they open!

indyspz 08-28-2011 09:25 PM

Unbelievable!! I had the same thing happened to me a couple years back... but I only made it about 1/2 mile down the road. I had the manager come to me with his work truck, he jacked my car up and tightened the lug nuts. We both went back to the show so he could inspect the lugs which were bent... Oh, the manager fired the mechanic who didn't tighten the lugs on the spot.

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-29-2011 12:35 PM

the same thing happened to me, but i didnt catch it in time. i was driving home from philly on the pa turnpike and started to get a huge vibration in the wheel. i pulled over and i lost 3 hub stubs and an additional lug nut from the front pass wheel. i was like 20 miles from home and since it was the turnpike a tow would have taken 2 hours. i took a lug off a back wheel and drove to a shop at 20 mph. luckly i caught it before losing another lugnut. my old mechanic appariently thought it was alright to reinstall lugs with an impact gun, i now have a new mechanic.