Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Lighting issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/lighting-issues-27779.html)

Jimmym10 08-29-2011 08:25 AM

Lighting issues

I am having a problem with my rear light. The light works and the turning signal works. However when I use the turning signal while the lights are on, it shorts out the whole light causing non of the lights to work. If I use the signal without the lights everything is fine and if I use the lights without the signal everything is fine. Anybody have any idea of what the problem may be? My initial thought is that it is wired wrong.

robpp 08-29-2011 09:00 AM

Re: Lighting issues

what year wk. there are 2 diff lights?

Jimmym10 08-29-2011 09:09 AM

2008 rear passenger

robpp 08-29-2011 09:20 AM

what fuse is blowing? number 10 under the hood?

and the tails are the factory lights?

if yes THEN:

the wiring is rather simple: its one plug with 3 wires. you are getting a short somewhere.

I would remove the tail light and start there. the harnesses are pretty easy to follow until they head back into the cab. there must be some place where the park and brake wire are crossing.

there are 3 wires on the plug.

brake/blink
park
ground.

black is ground on one end of the 3. the middle is park. the other end is brake/blink.

start with the light and even swap the bulb. its a 3157 for testing purposes. the short COULD be inside the bulb. I WOULD DO THIS FIRST!

robpp 08-29-2011 09:21 AM

SORRY YOU CAN'T USE THE REVERSE BULB: its dofferent.

i would get another 3157 to test.

Jimmym10 08-29-2011 09:36 AM

I tryed the bulb. It's not that, and no fuses really blow, because if I turn my lights off, everything goes back to normal. I am taking my tail light off now, and hopefully its rather simple but I will keep posting on my issues/findings.

robpp 08-29-2011 09:49 AM

you are prolly tripping a relay; hence no blown fiuse and the fact they come back after a while.

you should be able to tell which relay cause it will click pretty loud when it blows. maybe the relay is bad?

Jimmym10 08-29-2011 10:04 AM

Due to my lack of knowledge abour cars. Where is the related located? Near fuse box? I havr not looked yet but before i get into searching if someone knew it would save me some time.

Jimmym10 08-29-2011 10:05 AM

Where is Relay located not related sorry.

robpp 08-29-2011 10:12 AM

most of them are in one of those 2 under hood boxes.

Jimmym10 08-29-2011 10:21 AM

Ok i have just found out that when I turn my lights on the turn signal/rear light does not work but if I turn my lights off then then the turning signal works again. Reverse light is not affected at all.

robpp 08-29-2011 10:58 AM

sorry to bug you about this but it SOUNDs like the bulb.

check the front lights on the same side. the park blink. if that all works up front I SAY its the bulb.

PLEASE try another bulb/ i dont have time to explain WHY i am thinking like this now......