Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   SRT Group webchat with Ralph Gillies 9/1/2011 at 6 pm EDT (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f178/)
-   -   Chat thread-Ralph Gillies and the SRt engineers 9/1/2011 at 6 PM edt (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f178/chat-thread-ralph-gillies-and-the-srt-engineers-9-1-2011-at-6-pm-edt-27788.html)

Scottina06 08-29-2011 11:05 AM

Chat thread-Ralph Gillies and the SRt engineers 9/1/2011 at 6 PM edt

<iframe src="http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.php/option=com_altcaster/task=viewaltcast/altcast_code=351e8e3a6e/height=550/width=470" scrolling="no" height="550px" width="470px" frameBorder ="0" allowTransparency="true" ><a href="http://www.coveritlive.com/mobile.php/option=com_mobile/task=viewaltcast/altcast_code=351e8e3a6e" >SRT</a></iframe>

Scottina06 09-01-2011 03:11 PM

Re: Chat thread-Ralph Gillies and the SRt engineers 9/1/2011 at 6 PM edt

bumparoni

robpp 09-01-2011 04:03 PM

so scott do we need to do anything or exactly how does this work? is there a link above or what?

thx

moosehead 09-01-2011 05:10 PM

^You just click onto the link in Scottina's post.

Not sure if all questions will go through just yet, my guess is there is a screening function/delay going on.

MikeH 09-01-2011 07:03 PM

Thursday September 1, 2011
6:02

Ed Garsten: Hi. Welcome to the SRT webchat. SRT Brand President and CEO Ralph Gilles is here, along with a team of SRT engineers to take your questions for the next two hours. Ralph?
6:02

Ralph Gilles: Hello All:

Before we get started, l wanted to take just a minute to tell you all how honored I am to be here as the newly assigned president and CEO of the SRT brand.

Its an awesome time to be here at Chrysler Group. Were working our tails off to design and engineer some of the best products weve ever built. Clearly building on the experience of the great machines you drive. Not just SRT vehicles, but across the company for Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep.

There is no doubt the expanded 2012 SRT lineup contains the best performance vehicles weve ever done. More power and torque with better fuel efficiency, great handling and braking, sweet new interiors and functional new exteriors. Were proud to be bringing these new performance machines to market now.

Now lets see whats on your minds - lets chat

Ralph,

6:03
Comment From mopar408
when will srt offer performance improvements to the late model SRT cars?
6:03
Comment From Bryan Kennedy
Just wanted to say thank you to SRT for offering such a great product !!!!

6:04

Ralph Gilles: We are looking at a performance parts devision that can retro fit to the older cars. Many of the 2012 parts bolt on.
6:04
Comment From PoolChallenger
What was the reasoning behind moving the "6.4L Hemi" badge from the hood to the fender on the Charger?

6:05

Ralph Gilles: I think the badge is worth 3MPH...just kidding

6:06

SRT Engineer3: We moved the 6.4L Hemi badge on the Charger SRT off the hood becuase during testing we discovered too much glare to the driver's eyes, and it looks really cool on the fender - more people can see it!

6:07

Ralph Gilles: We are looking to never stop developing the existing products. Getting some smaller cars back in the fold and getting back into world class motorsports.

6:08
Comment From Robert
what are the release dates for the 2012 Charger SRT

6:10

SRT Engineer1: The Charger, Challenger, 300C and Grand Cherokee SRT8 are available now to order at your local. First deliveries will be made very soon.

6:10
Comment From Northern Rider (Patrick)
BTW - Ralph - Congrats on taking over SRT!!! I'm looking forward to the day I can speck up a competition vehicle in a dealer's showroom. :)

6:11

Ralph Gilles: The price increases reflect the reality of low volume product in this day and age. We have some very expensive components on these cars and it is getting more and more challenging to get suppliers to play ball. In the case of the GrandCherokee we are still 30 grand under are nearest real competitor.

6:12
Comment From Guest
Any chance of setting up the "SRT Experience" to you loyal customers in Canada?

6:12

Ralph Gilles: We will seriously look into expanding track experience to Canada,. I love Mosport, Calabogie and Trois Reviere

6:13
Comment From Mopar08
Does SRT currently offer an internship program?

6:14

SRT Engineer1: Yes. We have internships and jobs available. Take a look on chryslercareers.com

6:15
Comment From hassanusc
I think SRT missed the SRT part on the WK2. It looks bloated and slower. What happened?

6:18

SRT Engineer: As a starting point, the 2011 Grand Cherokee grew in size and weight. The SRT uses that vehicle as a starting point. Every aspect of the latest GC SRT8 was reviewed for weight and performance. Desite the weight increase, we have maintained or improved all performance aspects.
Comment From Alex
Now, that we are going to be paying 65k+ for the Jeep SRT, are we going to be treated like a 65k cutomer? Like lexus/cadillac/bmw treat there customers... loaner vehicles?

SRT Engineer: Much of the mission of the NEW SRT is to handle after sales and fringe benifits of being an owner dramatically better then we have in the past. You will see a variety of programs for existing customers and future. I agree 100% that people that pay a premium deserve better treatment. One of the reasons the brand is being managed as a business. We are also in the process of configuring a much better dealer and tech training program.
Comment From Bob
What is SRTs response going to be to the ZL1 Camaro?

SRT Engineer1: Stay tuned.

6:19
Comment From Norman Hardy
I got to sit in the 2012 SRT8 Charger yesterday with the Drive SRT8 Tour in Upstate SC. I must say the refinement is very noticeably. I will have another soon. Good job Ralph and the SRT group. I will take one in Red this time.

6:19

SRT Engineer: Thanks! We are trying.
6:20
Comment From Kowalski Supersoul
Why is there a torque decrease in the Grand Cherokee by 5 lb/ft compared to the other 3 SRT products?
6:21

SRT Engineer: Due to the tighter packaging constraints of the engine box and front drive system of the 4WD system, the GC SRT8 has more restrictive exhaust manifolds than the Challenger/CHarger/300. We worked hard to maintain horsepower and just missed the mark on torque.
6:21
Comment From Bosque
There are plenty of shirts, hats, etc to buy for dodge, jeep, and Chrysler. But when will there be SRT items for purchase so we can show our pride!!!
6:22

SRT Engineer: We are actually developing all new mechandise. I hate that too can never find any cool stuff. You will be happy. We will be putting some great team shirts and awesome useful stuff.
Comment From Bob
When is SRT going back to the "Ring"?

SRT Engineer: Hmmmmm....
6:23
Comment From Daniel B.
Hey Ralph, now that you're the head honcho @ SRT, will you let the "SRT engineers" spill some future secrets? :) They've always done such a good job keeping them under wraps!
6:23

SRT Engineer: This is Ralph....On top of that I am shutting down all their Facebooks! Full on gag orders! ; )

6:25
Comment From Ed
I just got my new 2011 SRT yesterday and the gps can't find any salelites , im in NB and it thinks im in michagan,,,it has the map ,,just won't find any salelites ,,,any idea how to fix???
6:26

SRT Engineer1: The antenna may not be properly connected. Please have your local dealer check it out.
6:27
Comment From Russ
On the GC, what launch procedure gives you the best 0-60 and quarter mile times as far as the dynamic mode selection and RPMs at take off.

6:27

SRT Engineer: The procedure is quite simple:
- Switch to TRACK
- Engage 1st gear (paddle or console shifter)
- Raise rpms to around 1,000 but not more than 1,100
- Get your foot off the brake pedal as quickly as humanly possible to minimize brake drag, while obviously flooring the gas pedal at the same rate
- Keep a close eye on the tach, when the needle gets to 5,200, shift to 2nd gear
6:28
Comment From MIke Assef
I have a 2008 Jeep SRT. What temp does the EVIC give the trans temp warning and what are safe oil and trans temps without getting into trouble. I have run Gingerman and will run Autobahn next month.
6:29

SRT Engineer: The EVIC will display a trans temp WARNING at 250 degrees F. The safe limit for the trans temp is 275 degrees F and the oil temp is 310 degrees F
6:30

SRT Engineer: Running in AUTOSTICK will minimize shifts and keep trans temperatures down

Comment From Corey
Any plans for a Wrangler SRT? I was reading about the Call of Duty Wrangler, but couldn't help but think what the SRT brand could have done for it

SRT Engineer: Not anytime soon but the new Pentastar + the new 5speed shaves 3 seconds of 0-60

6:32
Comment From Keith
Can you give us an idea as to what the dealer allocation is for the SRT Jeeps in Canada?

6:32

SRT Engineer2: There is no dealer limit

6:34
Comment From rich
Which SRT vehicle do you like better for the street? and at the Track?

6:35

SRT Engineer: GUYS/GALS -- WE CAN"T ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ON FUTURE PRODUCTS.

Comment From Tony
I've heard that the "sport" settings reset after turning the car off and that it must be reengaged upon restart. I just wanted to understand the rationale behind that decision. Thanks.

SRT Engineer1: Sport setting is reset to auto mode with each ignition cycle. A latched switch would require a separate fuel economy testing.

SRT Engineer: With ADS on all 4 of the new SRT's the they are all very capable on street and track. We suggest getting all 4 so you the the right car for your mood.

6:36
Comment From Srt guy
i understand the 2011 and up computers are encrypted, unfortunately this negates the ability to tune and mod the cars, can you explain why this was done as the competition like corvette camaro mustang etc are all aftermarket friendly

6:36

SRT Engineer: The encryption block has been a long standing postion of Chrysler, As one of the smallest of the domestic autos we could not afford the warranty fraud that we had seen in the past. The vehicles are designed as systems. While some tuners are very talented..there is a lot of abuse out there. We have been looking into this as a possibility for the older cars going forward.

6:37
Comment From Russ
Have you noticed any change in 0-60 and quarter mile performance once the engine has say, 5,000 or 10,000miles on it?

SRT Engineer 7: Its fair to say that as a vehicle breaks in all its rotating components (Engine, Trans, Axle...), it will get faster in the quarter mile. With that said, that curve should stop ~2000-3000 miles...assuming your tires are still in good condition ;)

Comment From Jeff Sherwin
Great to see you guys here. I feel like extended family as I see you guys at Infineon Raceway for press week this year and at Spring Festival of LX in Irvine (nice shindig!!)

SRT Engineer1: Spring Festival is one of our favorite events. Nothing better than seeing all the SRT product in one place.

6:42
Comment From Guest
What real world fuel economy for the JeepSRT8?
6:42

SRT Engineer: Around town your combined fuel economy will be 15mpg. On longer highway rides, you WILL be able to match the 18mpg highway number.
6:44
Comment From B M Allison
No limit, you just said low volume in a prior reply. Which is it?

Comment From GNSLNGR
Why does the 392 run so hot?

SRT Engineer: We thermal test the 392 cars under extreme conditions including race tracks in 100+ heat and they perform very well especially when compared to some of our higher priced competition. The 392 has the same t-stat as the 6.1L's did and run at the same temps as designed.
6:45

SRT Engineer3: The Canadian market is a natural low volume market for SRTs. US volumes are capped as they are our highest market volume. So there is no need to limit Canadian units.
6:46
Comment From Guest
What driving modes is 4cyl mode active on GC?

SRT Engineer 7: The combination of the active exhaust with the huge torque band of the 6.4L allows the 12MY GC SRT8 to run MDS in most steady state conditions allowing for max FE and the improved FE Label as compared to the outgoing GC SRT8.
Comment From Russ
What is the normal front/rear bias on the GC in automatic dynamic setting ?

SRT Engineer2: The bias in automatic ic 40% front 60% rear
Comment From Iwant2goFASTER!
When in Autostick with the new GCSRT, does it still automatically upshift if you forget? If so, does it still shift it at a higher RPM than when in D?
6:47

SRT Engineer: Autostick will auto-upshift if you are in auto-mode on the "sport button"
6:48

SRT Engineer: I have been answering..I am coming up as SRT Engineer. My address timed out sorry...Ralph

6:48

SRT Engineer: Autostick will NOT auto-upshift in the GC SRT8 if the Selec-Track system is set to SPORT or TRACK.

6:49
Comment From Susie
May I ask if there will be a SpringFest7? The autocross was SO much fun! (And THANK YOU!)

SRT Engineer: Yes I plan to be back...I love that event it was incredible last year. Ralph
Comment From Hemi Dave
What can I expect from my 392 6 speed Challenger in the 1/4 mile....Whats the best you guys got?

SRT Engineer: Best run we were able to get with challenger 392 was 12.44 at 110.7 This was out at Infineon back in November. There is a video on Youtube of an onlooker as I ran on open night
6:50
Comment From BostonDMD
How does the WK1 SRT jeep compare to the WK2

6:50

SRT Engineer: The WK2 matches the straightline performance of the WK1, but stops faster and corners harder. With the new Selec-Track system the WK2 is more liveable for every day, but can also be set to full-attack TRACK mode to out-handle the WK1 on the track.
6:51
Comment From GNSLNGR
I installed the MOPAR pistol grip shifter. When doing so my left shifter pin was missing from factory. It is a commone affair. Can QA take a look at these on future vehicles?

6:51

SRT Engineer: Will take a look into this -- thx for feedback
6:52
Comment From GNSLNGR (Keith)
Will a CAI improve performance on my 392? Or will it just be eye candy?

SRT Engineer 7: Probably not as most CAI's tend to be open element OR pull air from the backside of the radiator. As designed, the air induction on the 392 pulls air from the wheel well. This is a more than suitable supply of cool ambient temp air AND minimal restriction to the intake.
Comment From Brandon Averill
What oil and viscosity do you recommend for the 6.1L SRT Jeep?

6:53

SRT Engineer 7: Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic 5w-40
Comment From Ray-SR71
Does the 0-60 launch procedure describe work the same with the 300, Challenger (5-speed), Charger models and why would we not take 1st gear up to 6100rpms?

SRT Engineer: Not exactly....with the 300/Charger/Challenger automatics cars seem to be quickest in "Drive". Bring the converter upsligthly to about a 1000rpm, flash the converter just a tiny bit as your letting go of the brake and then WOT it. Let the computer make the upshifts as it's faster than you.
Comment From TheSRTgreg
Porsche and Corvette have a good thing going over at ALMS. Is there a reason Dodge isn't sponsoring currently? Any word on future?

Ralph Gilles: I like ALMS racing a lot...we are in discussion with the organizers. It is some of the best racing on TV. Stay tuned!

Comment From Ruben
Will you please offer a black wheel option for GCSRT8! :-)
6:54

SRT Engineer: It's just a scuff job and rattle can away!!!

6:55
Comment From Thomas
Are the 2011 IE Challenger wheels available on the 2012 Challengers from factory?

SRT Engineer3: Yes, the IE wheel is the optional wheel on the '12 Challenger SRTs.

Comment From Rob
Can you at least offer an 'off road PCM" like Mopar Performance offers for the older cars (2005 or so) for those with 2011s that want to mod. You should also consider that this position possibly hurts sales of products from knowledgable enthusiasts who don't want to buy cars they cannot modify.

Ralph Gilles: "Off Road" is no longer tolerated by the Federal GOV and the EPA. Times are changing. We will have to get busier on Factory performance kits.
Comment From Tony
Maybe a stupid question, but how does the new hood for the dodge charger SRT8 redirect rain water so that it doesn't end up all over the engine compartment?

SRT Engineer: The hood inner ducts the water away from any critical components. The little bit of water is a good trade off for the hot air that gets sucked out of the hood through the vent.
6:56
Comment From hellsfire
why Pennzoil what happened to Mobile 1

6:56

SRT Engineer1: Pennzoil ultra is now the synthetic oil for all SRT.

6:57
Comment From Juan
I noticed that the SRT tour is not coming to Hawaii. Can you guys put Hawaii on your list? Maybe in exchange for surf lessons?

6:57

Ralph Gilles: It would blow our whole budget....SRT can't afford a Cargo plane right now! Funny Guy!

6:59
Comment From Brandon Olson
I am considerig the GC SRT8 but I live in Fairbanks Alaska. The local dealer typically doesn't "winterized" SRT products to handle the -40 and below temps. I would want to drive the GC year round. Has SRT done any extreme cold weather testing in the far far north?

Comment From Abdullah alhajery
why didnt you keep the dual exhausts that was in the earlier jeep grand cherokee SRT8 model in the 2012 model?

SRT Engineer: We have tested and developed the GC SRT8 in the far far North (-40 degrees F) and the far far South (New Zealand). It is available with an engine block heater and if properly equipped will be the baddest hot rod in town.

Ralph Gilles: We got a lot of request for better towing. We were suprised by how many people want to tow with their SRT8 Grands. On the new car we also don't have the same amount of packaging space to do well. We came with a cool black chrome set up. Hey this will keep the WK1 ever special!

Comment From Rob
Hello. Just curious what the general rule of thumb is when "over engineering" parts for the SRT line? That is, what kind of headroom do the parts allot for when considering power upgrades?

SRT Engineer: All SRTs are required to pass 150k customer durability testing at our proving grounds. All components are designed to meet this design criteria + a factor of safety - due to tolerancing. Generally we overdesign +10%. Rumor has it, some crazy SRT engineers have even jumped cars for giggles.

7:00
Comment From NeedforSpeed
Can E85 be used on the 6.4L?

SRT Engineer 7: No it cannot. The engine has been calibrated to be fully functional and happy with an ethanol content up to 10%, but not E85.

Comment From Ray-SR71
Does the 2012 Challenger transmission hold in gear when Sport mode is activated?

SRT Engineer: When In "Sport" (and "Track" for the GC) all the 2012 SRT8 will hold gear when in paddles or autostick.

7:02
Comment From 09 R/T
My girlfriend dumped me... Will buying a new 392 make me feel better about life?

Ralph Gilles: Dude man...tough break....yes nothing like an SRT to make the blues go away...beside she'll (the 392) will always be in the mood.

Comment From Mark
There has been a lot of confusion regarding the spare tire on the Jeep SRT. Is there one and if so, why the run flats?

SRT Engineer2: All GC SRT's come with a spare. There is a mini spare on the non trailer tow and a full size spare on the trailer tow units. Our customer research has shown that customers are not comfortable driving without a spare, even when a vehicle that is equiped with run flats. You can always take it the spare out to save weight at the track if you choose.

7:03
Comment From Calvin
How does the HK system sound in the Challenger? Why the change from the Kicker?

SRT Engineer3: The HK system, like the new SRTs, haved raised all our performance factors. It is simply AMAZING - even drawing praise from Audiophile, non-auto magazines. It's lighter, more power, and just plain AWESOME.

Comment From Guest
Why did you use such an odd tire size on the Jeep?

SRT Engineer: The 295/45R20 was the widest, stickiest tire we could package.

7:04
Comment From HD Guy
Does the 2012 GC SRT8 come with a spare tire? Is if full size with the same wheel?

7:05
With the great response from Top Gear USA when they sent the Viper around their track any plans to get some of the SRT products back on the show?

7:05

Ralph Gilles: I love TOP gear...even the US one is getting better. I would love to get Jeremy and Tanner in the new cars...especially the one coming mid next year....

7:06

SRT Engineer2: It comes with a mini spare and a full size 18" steel wheel fulle sizes spare. the SRT wheel will not package in the tire tub

Comment From FleshWound
do you folks modify your personal cars?

SRT Engineer: Yes, many of the engineers at SRT modify, and race there cars.

Ralph Gilles: Wow team we have 834 people on this Chat sorry if we are slow...we are overwhelmed. Respect to the SRT bretheren

7:07
Comment From Abdullah alhajery
Why did you remove the dual-mid exhuast in the new 2012 jeep grand cherokee SRT8?

SRT Engineer: We got a lot of request for better towing. We were suprised by how many people want to tow with their SRT8 Grands. On the new car we also don't have the same amount of packaging space to do well. We came with a cool black chrome set up. Hey this will keep the WK1 ever special!

Comment From Guest
Is premium fuel required on 6.4 and how is power affected with 89 oct?

SRT Engineer 7: Premium fuel (91 or 93 PON) is recommended on the 6.4L/392 SRT Engines. However, the knock system will save your butt if you run less than premium hard. You'll certainly loose some power and I don't recommend it, but it won't hurt your engine.

7:09
Comment From Mario175
Will srt be responsible for the fiat 500 abarth

7:09

SRT Engineer1: The FIAT 500 Abarth is being developed by a separate team. We are sharing development testing. It will be a great product.

7:10
Ralph, do you still own your red SRT-4? How often do you drive it, and how many miles on it currently? What other SRT vehicles do you personally own?

7:11

Ralph Gilles: I never had a red one...I had a RED SCCA Spec Neon. I had a blue SRT4 now I have a Black 05 with a stage 3 kit....LOVE it. Respect to the PL crowd.

Comment From Russ
The 0-60 times and the quarter mile times calculated on the GC SRT8, how different are they from times recorded at the track by professional instruments?

SRT Engineer: The GC SRT8 "calculated" times are very close to those achieved at the track by professionals. Because the GC is AWD, it doesn't even take a professional to extract the ultimate performance run. Given the procedure posted above, you can be the Pro.

7:12
Comment From Cory
Im a first year Mechanical Engineering student, what would you recommend me doing to have a better chance at landing a career at a company like Chrysler/SRT?

SRT Engineer1: If you are interested in working in Engineering at Chrysler. Do your best in school. Get good grades. Get involved with automotive activities outside of class like Formula SAE..

Comment From Guest
When will you guys start showing the LX Nationals a little more attention?

SRT Engineer3: Sorry we weren't as supported in numbers at this year's LX Nationals. Unfortunately the timing of the event was right on top of prime time for our launches. So us Engineers were pretty tied up finalizing thisgs on these cars. We love you guys and will do our best to support better! If you had it in August, we most likely would be more available.

Comment From WhySRT
why should I choose an srt vehicle over say... An ss camaro??

SRT Engineer: Adaptive Suspension, best for Noise/Vibration/harshness, Best in class for rear seat, comfortable for long drives ..... most true to heritage.

7:14
Comment From Tamara Wong
Do you think there will be new SRTs 15-20 years? I'm pretty sure my 3 year old will want one. I know she loves mine. :)

SRT Engineer: YES! There is no where better place to work than SRT! Keep buying our stuff and we'll be here.

Comment From Nick smith
What are the chances of mopar doing something like a 1000$ "key" option to let us have free play with our cars computers. You can buy it, mod it and blow it the hell up but, like when you touch the computer in a GTR its your behind and thats that. Id pay for that option today.

Ralph Gilles: Hmmm...great idea. We'll have to discuss this with Mopar. The Warranty would have to be voided as you suggest.
Comment From Tom
Roughly how many engineers does the SRT division employ? Do you hire directly, or do employees work their way up through engineering the slightly "tamer" Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler/Ram vehicles?

SRT Engineer1: SRT has about 100 engineers. Some start directly in SRT.
7:18
Comment From MikeH
My GCSRT8 order has been in D1 since July 6th with a delivery date of August 9th. Any idea when dates will be updated on all orders?

7:18

SRT Engineer1: Grand Cherokee and Durango production at Jefferson Assembly Plant is in full swing. The SRT vehicles are being slotted into production when ready. SRTs will be flowing through the sytem soon.

7:19
Comment From Ray-SR71
Can you post a copy of the Chat transcript on drivesrt.com so we can reference it in the future?

7:19

Mike Driehorst: Replays of the chat will be available once the live session is done. Simply go to the site and scroll through the Q&A.

7:20
Comment From Ray-SR71
What other jobs does SRT offer or how can we apply only to the SRT division?

SRT Engineer1: All jobs are posted on chryslercareers.com

Comment From Guest
What speeds will MDS work on SRT8?

SRT Engineer 7: MDS is fully functional between 1100-3100rpm.

7:21
Comment From Guest
Will the new GCSRT eat fronts tires on the inside like the WK1SRT does due to the neg. camber?

7:21

SRT Engineer: Tire wear is improved with the WK2 and it is equipped with a wider front tire. Vehicle load and your driving behavior will both positively and negatively affect this wear.

7:22
Comment From Guest
Why 5000 lbs towing on SRT vs 7000 lbs on Hemi GC?

7:23

SRT Engineer 8: The extra power of the 6.4L makes it possible to really put the hurt on the drivetrain over the life of the vehicle. It would tolerate it for a while, but the trans was selected for more for performance (light weight, low first gear, fast shifts, higher rpm limit) over trailer tow.

Comment From GNSLNGR (Keith)
I'm running 92 ethanol free. Is this bad for the 392?

SRT Engineer 7: Anything <10% ethanol is suitable for the 392. Anything ethanol free and premium is perfect!

Mike Driehorst: We appreciate all the questions. We're going through them and answering what we can. We're trying not to answer questions more than once to have room for as many as we can.

7:24
Comment From BIGDAVE
I would like to say thank you for getting the Getrag rear diff.I put one in my 05 maggie after I blewup to stock diffs.Any chance internal parts for them in the future be bought...Like gears and bearings

7:24

SRT Engineer: We've been very happy with performance and durability with the LSD Getrag units. Thanks for feedback. No plans to release gears sets, unless mopar picks up.

7:25
Comment From pantheman75
So are you going to address the elephant in the room... the pricing of the Grand Cherokee SRT8?
7:26

Ralph Gilles: Grand Cherokee pricing has been sensitive. We understand. This vehicle reflects the cost of some exotic hardware like active suspension, a sweet aluminum hood, real carbon parts and a set of very expensive monoblock 6 piston calipers. The reality is low volume is getting harder to do...the prices from our suppliers are higher than in the past. As we use more and more exotic componentry our prices naturally creep closer to our import competitors. That said we are still 30k-40k less then the BMW X5 and nearly 50k-70k less then the Porsche. The Grand SRT8 is currently being ordered fully optioned out by 80% of the dealers and first set of customerso far. It is already tough to build the SRT8 along side the normal Grand out of the plant. So we get hit with a lot of low volume management cost. The price went up on the Luxury Group which includes the leather IP and several other features which we were forced to make standard. We will look at decoupling some of the features in the future as the usual new product surge subsides. (We will start with immediately decoupling the DVD and sunroof)
7:27
In Alaska 90 octane is the maximum available. Is that sufficient for the 6.4 or is an octane booster recommenced?

7:27

SRT Engineer 7: Given your cool temps in Alaska, your probably going to be fine. As i've mentioned before, the knock system will take care of your engine in case the octane is not high enough and the vehicle is driven hard.

7:28
Comment From Poppy
Does the GC Rear DVD system still come with Sirius Backseat TV?

7:31

Mike Driehorst:
Poppy: Looking into it.
7:31
Comment From joel vandiver
I am a club racer .I have built a Challenger to run in the American Iron series you have named these car SRT STREET and Racing Technologies yet there is no support for racing them there is no body in white available but you can buy a mustang or camaro body in white If you will make an effort these cars will pay off on the track when im at the track everyone ask why im running a challenger instead of a Mustang where there is support or contengencies your company is loosing out by not having several cars in the Conitinental challenge series. im sure you have fum racing the Vipers but they are not the only track capable cars with the SRT badge. Share
7:32

SRT Engineer1: Great idea. Looking at a spec Challenger for racing. Have you checked out the Challenger drag pak?
7:33
Comment From CARZ80am
The wheels on the grand cherokee are ugly, any other options? Would the previous model fit?
7:33

Ralph Gilles: Ouch....we (ok PDO) love that wheel..our wheel supplier hatse machining it. I hate cleaing it. Interesting love hate reaction...oh well. The old rear wheel does fit all the way around..again the old one. We'll look at optional wheels but it won't be till next spring most likely. Funny the SRT engineers don't like them either.
7:35
Comment From TB3
Now that SRT is its own entity, will there be any SRT Only vehicles?

SRT Engineer1: Viper is SRT only!

Comment From Tony
Do NASCAR engineers contribute to SRT development?

SRT Engineer: The motorsport engineers sit in the same office as all of us. Each SRT lineup has a specific MR/VIR that own the development cradle to grave. All SRT engineers natural cross-talk on vehicle programs, this includes Motorsports.
Comment From Matt
I'm a second year mechanical engineering student, obviously wanting to do Automotive. What do the SRT engineers specifically do? I would suspect that you had a lot to do with the 392, but do you focus more on parts, body, whole package experience, or are certain things farmed out to other engineers at Chrysler or private firms?

SRT Engineer3: At SRT we do all the engineering on our performance parts. From the unique body treatments, to the creature comforts in the interior (e.g., Performance Pages), to the beautifully engineerined powertrain and chassis parts. We have expectional drivers that evaluate top speed, handling, areo balancing, other passionate engineers that perform fatigue/material/safety analsys, etc... anything that a normal auto engineer does, but more to make it cool and track capable. We also eat pizza and answer as many questions we can on certain Thursdays 6-8 pm :)
7:38
Comment From Gabe
Why is there no AWD Charger SRT8 ? I know I'd own one now instead of my 07 AWD R/T
7:38

Ralph Gilles: It would be a little unsual looking as the front axle location would require the vehicle to ride about 40mm high than the current car and be heavier yet. Not ideal for track performance. We'll look at it for the future...
7:39
Comment From RT Owner
I am amazed at the SRT Jeeps and Cars. Will you guys do a Ram truck anytime soon?

Ralph Gilles: Hmmmm. You sound like some of my SRT engineer friends.. ; )

SRT Engineer: Camber Left -0.55 to +0.45
Camber Right
Cross Camber : -0.25
Total Toe : 0.20
max side side toe 0-0.6
7:40

Ed Garsten: Guess which question he just answered?
Comment From Rich K
Does the ECO light on my wife's 392 Challenger mean it's in 4cyl mode when it comes on?

SRT Engineer 7: Yes, when the ECO light comes on your either in V4 and/or fuel shutoff.
Comment From RMRSRT
In all honesty, WK1 VS WK2 on the 1/4 mile. Which WK version are you putting your money on?
7:41

SRT Engineer: We've run them side by side and you could cover both with the same blanket. I'd put my money on the driver who can hit the LOUD pedal fastest.
7:42
Someone asked earlier about "why choose SRT over a Camaro SS"....I think this chat should be one of those reasons! I don't know of another manufacturer that has it's CEO support the community like this. This is a true enthusist at the top of the company showing love for fellow car guys/gals. Nuff said.

7:42

Ralph Gilles: Thanks man....my team is the same way. We love our owners.

7:43
Comment From SRT4TW
Following CARZ80am's comment on the Cherokee SRT wheels being ugly, I also feel the Charger SRT wheels are unsightly. They look like 300S wheels, which I never liked either.

Ralph Gilles: Meat you at the bike rack tomorrow after school ; /

Comment From Immo
buddys pizza?

Mike Driehorst: No -- Jet's

7:44
Comment From BillyBob
lol...you engineers are funny too
7:46
Comment From Charger09
So which SRT engineer is the best driver?
7:46

Ralph Gilles: They say he is half man half wolf....Chris Winkler..nick name the WOLF. Erich Heuschele is a very close 2nd....I can spank them on the dance floor though.
7:47
Comment From Poppy
I'm in D status and I don't want to wait for my car anymore!

SRT Engineer1: Please be patient. The vehicles are scheduled to be built soon.
Ralph, you and your SRT Team are awesome. You are what sets every other brand apart. I had a new Z06 and dumped it for an SRT. Not only is the product superior, so is the communication between owners and engineers. Thank you!

SRT Engineer: Altignment specs for 2008 Challenger

Camber Left : -.55 to +0.45
Camber Right -0.85 to +0.15
x camber -0.25 to +0.75
Toe total 0 to 0.4

Rear toe left 0.02 to 0.32
Rear toe right -.12 to +0.18
Thrust angle -0.08 to +0.22

Ralph Gilles: Thanks long live SRT

7:48
Comment From HEMEEE
The photo @driveSRT just posted of Ralph on the twitters reveals you all to be the Knights of the Round Table! ♥

7:50
Comment From Guest
Why no manual transmission SRT Charger?

7:51

Ralph Gilles: We have built a few internal manuals, it is a blast to drive...it is easy for us..a little tough for the plant. we will look into seriously. How many of you out there would put down you latte's and SHIFT!!!!!
7:51
Comment From Marlon
Just wanted to say Thanks. These live talks are great and an extra motivation for my next vehicle being an SRT. My past 4 new cars have been VW, 2 x AUDI, BMW now i'm looking to support an American Company and you are in the lead. Thanks
7:52
Comment From Terry Stasko
Are you working on a black chrome wheel yet like many of the high end auto companies are?

SRT Engineer3: The 300 SRT has an awesome black chrome option package. Front/Rear fascia has black chrome trim along with black chrome wheels. It'll be available soon as we're tweaking it to meet all of our tough requirements.

Ralph Gilles: Appreciate the recognition, 31% up in sales this months more than any other OEM!!! We are trying to push.

7:53
Comment From Russ
What are your best times for the JGC 0-60 and 1/4 and 1/4 speed?

SRT Engineer: Motor Trend ran 4.6sec 0 to 60 and 13.3sec 1/4mile @ 103. We've run a little faster ;)

Ed Garsten: We appreciate the great response..about 7 minutes remaining
Comment From BillyBob
F the latte. My hands were made for drivin'...give me da 8 speed in that bad boy

Ralph Gilles: 8 Speed is an auto...Billy.

7:56
Comment From SRT Nation
SRT, thank you so much for how good you were to us and our page. Long live SRT!

7:57
Comment From SRTDogg
My 2012 Challenger SRT8 got built 2 days ago. I can't wait, these cares are awesome. Thank you guys for building some mean machines!!

Comment From DFWSRT8
Please tell me how much better the brakes from the wk2 are than the wk1, and if they would be swappable into the wk1?

SRT Engineer2: The Six piston Caliper with 15 inch rotor is the biggest brake package SRT has ever done. It will not fit the WK1 Sorry

7:58

SRT Engineer: To put it in perspective, the heavier WK2 stops significantly shorter.

7:58

SRT Engineer: And it will do this time after time

7:59

Ralph Gilles: We hear you on the unlocking of the PCM....cleary a big problem out there. It is tough with the rest of the house as there is a lot of roadblocks with the ever tougher EPA emission standards and the warranty claims abuse. It is surely holding back the potential of our popularity with the tuners and a generation of die hard enthusiast. We will look into it more deeply. In the mean time rest assured we never stop cooking here at the SRT labs. Respect to all of you out there we enjoyed this chat and will try our best to be as accessible as possible.

[END]

NJKen 09-02-2011 09:59 AM

Seems to me that this got totally sidetracked from a 2012 Jeep discussion to a free for all...Shame
Don't see most of the questions the members really wanted answers to.