Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Brake Issue and Panoramic Roof Liner Rattle (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/brake-issue-and-panoramic-roof-liner-rattle-27795.html)

Parks311 08-29-2011 01:51 PM

Brake Issue and Panoramic Roof Liner Rattle

Okay guys this one is kind of hard to explain so hopefully someone else may have had this issue and let me know what to do. I've got a service appointment with the Dealer on Tuesday for other warranty items but I wanted them to look at this one too.

This is an intermittent issue with the brakes. Occasionally after starting the vehicle and putting it into reverse I get a pulsation in the brakes similar to the anti-lock kicking in when I press on them to stop. This only happens in reverse and it only happens once and only at start-up. This does not always happen either. I thought maybe I shifted too quickly after start-up but it has happened after sitting in the car for 10-20 seconds or more too.

I have a rattle that seems to come from the rear of the roof liner too. This doesn't always happen (like today) but it seems to happen when the temperature is cooler (60-70) outside. Today it was over 90 and i could not hear it.

Both of these issues are more annoyances than actual problems but they are driving me nuts.

Anyone else experiencing either of these problems and do you know what they might be? These are legitimate things happening but not always easy to reproduce and I don't want to waster my or the dealer's time.

pblux 08-29-2011 07:43 PM

I've experienced the brake issue - haven't given it much thought. Let us know what the dealer says.

MattM 08-29-2011 07:52 PM

I have a rattle in the panoramic roof shade mechanism. I haven't had it looked at yet. I'm curious to see if it's a common problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sined240 08-29-2011 08:58 PM

Re: Brake Issue and Panoramic Roof Liner Rattle

I have the pano roof rattle, towards the passenger rear seat area. I need to mention those at the next service.

voyagerx 08-30-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sined240 (Post 475341)
I have the pano roof rattle, towards the passenger rear seat area. I need to mention those at the next service.

Same for me

sined240 08-30-2011 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyagerx (Post 475467)
Same for me

more so when the shade is open since it transmits the sound from the rattle better, but i can faintly hear it while closed as well...

dryfly 08-30-2011 11:04 AM

I have experienced the brake issue exactly as you describe, most of the time when I back out of my garage which goes from flat concrete to a gradual slope of gravel. I thought the gravel might be triggering the anti-lock as I brake down the drive. It does also happen occasionally in other locations without the gravel so I'm interested to hear what the dealer says about it.

Richpearl 08-30-2011 11:07 AM

I don't know about the GC because I don't have mine yet, but some vehicles do an ABS test the first time they are put in reverse after being started. Could that be what you are experiencing?

Rich

Parks311 08-30-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richpearl (Post 475611)
I don't know about the GC because I don't have mine yet, but some vehicles do an ABS test the first time they are put in reverse after being started. Could that be what you are experiencing?

Rich

Hmmmm....that might be what's happening. The thought crossed my mind. The only thing is that it does not always do it. The dealer wasn't sure when I asked him but said they would try to find out before next week.

I may just hold off on taking it in right now. These are such intermittent problems that they are hard to reproduce on command and I really don't want them tearing into the car only to find nothing is wrong.

markp99 08-30-2011 02:31 PM

Never happens on mine. I use reverse backing out of my driveway every day.

swampass2 09-01-2011 03:35 PM

Happens on mine 2 out of every 3 mornings when I back out of my parking spot.

Hollywood 09-01-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sined240 (Post 475341)

Exactly!! Me too! I also haven't had the nerve to bring it in for this, for fear they'll:
1.) Not be able to re-create/hear the problem
2.) Make a mess out of my nice, new, clean headliner
3.) Mess up something else hunting for the problem
4.) All of the above

I did notice when I was washing the truck, that one of the rivets on the Roof Rail above the passenger rear door was loose, and the one over the drivers side rear door (where there's no rattle) wasn't. Wondering if that could somehow be contributing to the rattle.

Mine as well is much more prominent when the pano roof is open and the sunshade is fully open.

Would LOVE to get this fixed, as it's the ONLY problem we've had with the vehicle. It's really annoying......