Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Why do I get different readings? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/why-do-i-get-different-readings-27862.html)

Blueflame1979 08-30-2011 05:05 PM

Why do I get different readings?

Ok so I looked on the Net trying to find out how to correctly check and add engine oil to a Jeep Wk, As weird as it might sound I couldn't find any, at least that made any sense to me. so This is what I did.

I drove my car home from work and at level ground I park the car and turned the ignition off. I waited five minutes then popped the hood and pulled the The motor oil dipstick and wiped it clean then reinserted it left it for a few seconds and pulled it out. I then checked it and the oil level was alittle below the safe mark.

I checked it the same at other times doing almost the same exact thing I did above and sometimes it was lower than that and sometimes it was between the safe mark meaning it was good, I think and didn't need to add any. That actually happened the last time I checked it and I waited alittle longer than 5 minutes. So did I check the engine oil the right way?

I decided to add some motor oil for safe measure. I added some where this cap, that has an oil symbol and reads 5w-30, needs to be unscrewed. I know it sounds kind of obvious but did I add it in the right place or do I add where the dipstick tube is or can I add to either one?

4.whoa 08-30-2011 05:57 PM

Re: Why do I get different readings?

I usually let it sit longer or check before i start it. If its between the marks (higher is better)its good .top is full,bottom is add 1qt.
Yes you add the oil where the cap with the oil can on it is.

Bleeding Blue 08-30-2011 06:08 PM

Are you supposed to check the oil when the engine is cold or hot?

I do all the maintenance on my car, but never have changed the oil and I think I am going to switch to synthetic and do it myself.

4.whoa 08-30-2011 06:15 PM

I havent heard anything about cold vs hot checking,HOWEVER its better to change it when hot or at least warm because it is suspending more contaminates then= cleaner engine FTW! :thumbsup:

Just need to be carefull when pulling the plug!

Blueflame1979 08-31-2011 07:26 AM

Yeah that's also another confusion of mine, about checking the motor oil when it's hot or cold. I asked a friend, who knows alot about cars, when is the best time to check the motor oil and he told me when it was cold. So I checked it the next morning and starting freaking out because I only saw a little part on the dipstick that was marked, way below the safe mark. I took it immedeatly to a mechanic, which is 5 miles away. He turned off the Jeep and he checked the dipstick right away and I saw it was at the very top of the safe mark and he said it was fine.

The service manual says to turn the vehicle off and wait 5 minutes before checking it to get a valid reading. I have tried different ways and always get a different reading. So, who do I trust?

Redpit 08-31-2011 09:38 AM

The most important thing is consistency. Always check your oil in the same way. I always check mine in the same place (my garage), always on level ground, and always cold. Basically easy to repeat conditions. If your consistent you will notice an issue quickly.

JeepCoop 08-31-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redpit (Post 476173)
The most important thing is consistency. Always check your oil in the same way. I always check mine in the same place (my garage), always on level ground, and always cold. Basically easy to repeat conditions. If your consistent you will notice an issue quickly.

I do the same thing! Always about consistency! :thumbsup:

mrtosh 08-31-2011 10:07 AM

Consistency is key, but also realize oil does expand when hot. Generally why they tell you to wait 5 mins. before checking the oil after running the engine.

Redpit 08-31-2011 10:15 AM

^I always found the expansion to be negligible, but ive mainly had 4 and 6 cylinders. In my new to me v8 it could become more noticeable.

Bleeding Blue 08-31-2011 05:53 PM

So after I change my oil and add the correct amount, should I run the engine to let the oil "expand" wait 5 minutes then check to make sure oil level is correct? Or put correct amount in and check while cold w/o running engine?

Redpit 08-31-2011 07:49 PM

I would fill up cold, take measure of it. Then start it up for a minute and wait and take another measurent. This way it circulates and fills your oil filter and what not.

4.whoa 09-01-2011 05:22 AM

^ x2 just get the filter & system full then check.