Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Has anyone managed to lock their key in? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/has-anyone-managed-to-lock-their-key-in-27885.html)

ultraelvis 08-31-2011 03:50 AM

Has anyone managed to lock their key in?

Returned to my WK2 after a business meeting, with my key in my briefcase. Unlocked the vehicle via hand in front door handle. I opened the rear door and put my briefcase on the back seat and shut the rear door and all four doors locked! Checked all four doors and tailgate and their was no way in.

I didn't think this was possible. Had to ring Jeep Assist and they deployed a truck, who had to use what was effectively the old coat hanger method to break into the car.

The only thing unusual was that I had two wheels up on the kerb and two on the street.

I noticed that the buttons on the door were down lower than the normal locked position.

Has anyone managed this?

markp99 08-31-2011 06:14 AM

Re: Has anyone managed to lock their key in?

I've read several accounts of people seeing exactly this - unexpected locking. Should not lock without warning (BEEPING) if the FOB is detected inside the vehicle.

The only way I can find to replicate is this:

Lock the open door using the FOB (not via armrest or door handle), while inside or in close proximity to the jeep. Leave the keys inside and shut the door.

Locked - no beep.

jeep2011 08-31-2011 07:47 AM

You can lock the key in the car even with the inside door switch. It will beep at you a few times, but on the 3rd attempt it locked and stayed locked.

Cherokee4X4 08-31-2011 10:44 AM

:(

Patriot 09-01-2011 12:15 AM

I just keep the key in my pocket at all times when I am using the Jeep and I'll never have this problem. I am paranoid of having it locked in the Jeep, especially with one or both of my kids with me. Keeping it in my pocket gives me this sense of security.

Why would you not want to keep it in your pocket? Just askin'.

plynn7 09-01-2011 12:32 PM

I tried to lock the key in,but could not. I unlocked the doors with the fob opened the back door, tossed the key on the seat and then tried to lock the doors via the button on the driver's door handle and nothing happened, would not lock. I retreived the fob and only then was I able to lock the door.

paui4m 09-01-2011 06:52 PM

I did the exact same thing. Cost me 50 bucks for a cab ride home and back for the spare as I didn't want to risk someone scratching anything!