Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   Painting Side View Mirrors (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/painting-side-view-mirrors-27909.html)

Deja Bleu 08-31-2011 04:46 PM

Painting Side View Mirrors

The side view mirrors on my 2004 GC have some scuff marks and I want to repaint as close to original factory black as possible -- does anyone know what the best paint for this would be; I've looked at SEM, VHT and Summit's Trim paint and should it be Gloss / Semi Gloss or Flat.

Thanks,

Peter

bematare 08-31-2011 07:41 PM

Re: Painting Side View Mirrors

I think since it's actually trim, you can get some trim spray paint and cover it up.. that's what I'm doing to my trim, and side moldings!

TJXJWJ 08-31-2011 09:53 PM

My OEM mirrors are still like new and they do have a bit of gloss to them. Not much...more like a satin finish. You may want to consider something with a little gloss to make cleaning and maintenance easier. A flat on a surface that will get attacked by high-speed bug guts and require mild scrubbing regularly may not be the best idea. Some guys have color matched them to the body and they look great like that. They also make chrome plastic covers that stick on. You could always paint the covers and install them over your mirrors too.

99PlatinumWJ 09-01-2011 01:05 PM

i painted mine about a month or two ago to match and they turned out great!! painting isnt easy, you need patience(ive learned the hard way but handling trim pieces that werent totally dry and screwing them up)
if i can remember right this is how i did mine...
-remove the whole mirror assembly
-tape off the actual "mirror"
-clean the mirror with wax and tar remover
-lightly sand to scuff the plastic
-clean it again
-wipe down with some paint surface prep cleaner
-spray adhesion promoter(a must for painting plastic)-i used duplicolor, let it dry like 10 minutes
-use primer for plastic-i used rustoleum, let it dry and maybe add another coat if its light
-then i used duplicolor perfect match paint for (i have the platinum metallic color) and do a coat or 2 untill it looks covered competely
-spray a coat or 2 with clear for plastic-i used rustoleum
-let them dry a day to play safe and reinstall if your satisfied.
if you want them black they make plastic trim paint from duplicolor, im using it to paint my plastic cladding and bumpers and its turning out good also!
so its a fairly long process but worth it if you take your time!
lastly keep the coats light to prevent runs and fish eyes...
hopefully this helps you out.. good luck
-

Deja Bleu 09-01-2011 02:39 PM

Thanks for the information -- when you did the black plastic trim paint from Duplicolor, did it require the same steps to prepare or just clean and paint.

And also, how close did the duplicolor paint match the original factory black plastic pieces?

99PlatinumWJ 09-01-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deja Bleu (Post 477087)
Thanks for the information -- when you did the black plastic trim paint from Duplicolor, did it require the same steps to prepare or just clean and paint.

And also, how close did the duplicolor paint match the original factory black plastic pieces?

i used the black trim paint over my gray plastic cladding on the doors and bumpers. i did all the same steps except i didnt used the plastic primer or plastic clear. it stuck just fine with cleaning it really good and spraying adhesion promoter on it, turned out really good with no runs or bubbles. for clear i bought a quart of duplicolor clear coat and sprayed it out of a paint gun to get a better finish.
id say the duplicolor black trim paint would match the mirrors good, but i would clear coat them. a spray can of clear for plastic works fine because the mirrors are smaller than a bumper, thats what i used
hope that helps...

bematare 09-01-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deja Bleu (Post 477087)

Uhm, if this question is refering to me.. There are a couple more pre-steps.. Cleaning thourghouly.. they suggest(It's actually Rustoleum) Wax, and Grease remover.. than clean with soap and water. Then apply the Rustoleum Adhesive thinga-ma-jing.. and spray on.. They suggest 2 coats, I did one(ran out of time will do the whole car this weekend) Did restore it pretty well.. but I felt it more like a quick fix, rather than a make-my-car-beautiful-again thing.. If I were you I'd go the paint it route!

Hope I answered this good.. :thumbsup: