Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Installing Sway Bar end links (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/installing-sway-bar-end-links-27974.html)

dr.lee.baugh 09-02-2011 08:39 AM

Installing Sway Bar end links

I'm sure this answer has been posted before, but when doing a site search I wasn't able to find it...my apologies.

I'm tackling replacing the front sway bar end links this weekend (OEM replacements), and was wondering the easiest way to do this job?

It seems some people lift both wheels, others just one. Also, should the suspension be drooped, with the vehicle supported at the frame or supported at the lower control arm and compressed? Or does it not make a difference?

Any other tricks to make the install go nice and smooth? Looking at the service manual it seems simple enough...but EVERYTHING is easier when I read about it!

Thanks to any input people might have, thanks to this site I've been able to go from always taking my car in to have work done, to tackling a lot of the maintenance issues myself...it's a wonderful feeling!

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-02-2011 10:14 AM

Re: Installing Sway Bar end links

For the links you only need to remove the tire. It is super simple.

antsjeep 09-02-2011 10:50 AM

get the entire front end off the ground, use a pair of jack stands, remove the tires and there ya go.

dr.lee.baugh 09-02-2011 11:22 AM

Thanks to both!

Glad to have things confirmed.

Crashtown 09-02-2011 12:29 PM

I would take the lower bolts (all 18mm) out and re-install them on level ground before lifting the front or taking the tires off. It eliminates the bind on the swaybar and the possibility of crossthreading the lower control arm. After those are out, do whatever because the load is completely off the swaybar. If you can find a 12-point 6mm box wrench, it will help with the upper end of the link. The nuts on those things are super tight until the end of the bolt. I happened to have one and it keeps the bolt from free spinning in the link when turning the nuts. I was afraid of rounding off the hex end with a crescent or open end wrench. You'll see what I'm talking about. But now that I think of it, if you are replacing them, you can trash the end with some Channel Locks or Vice Grips because they stay with the links. As long as you can get them off without busting out the die grinder or hacksaw on those upper bolts. Another thing on the install. If possible, don't completely torque down any of the bolts, upper or lower, until the wheels are back on and the WK is on the ground at it's normal stance. This will allow the proper pre-load on the upper bushings. I say "if possible" because I have a Slinky for a spine and I can twist around under my Jeeps pretty good. I feel confident in supplying this classified information because I just took mine out two days ago for a trail run and put them back in that evening.

dr.lee.baugh 09-04-2011 01:45 PM

Thanks to all for the great advice.

Job tackled this weekend, super simple.