Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   *Solved* '05 WK EATING coolant! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/solved-05-wk-eating-coolant-27983.html)

remmy 09-02-2011 10:25 AM

*Solved* '05 WK EATING coolant!

Lately the Jeep was drinking coolant... Like way too fast. Every other day I had to top it off. I was freaking out. At first I thought the worst. I figured the gasket went out. The oil looked fine and no smoke was blowing from the tail pipe. I also noticed when after driving a little hard on it it would go through it further. Standing downwind from it while running you could smell it too. I then thought I busted the radiator somehow.

I gave up. I thought this was going to cost me boat loads of money to diagnose and fix so I turned it into the garage to get pressure checked and fixed expecting to get raped.

The verdict: bad thermostat.
Lesson learned: not everything is the worst case scenario. :)

Also, if you are in the Norfolk area and are or connected to military, I advise you take your car to the Navy Exhange garage on NOB Norfolk. Those guys are outstanding and caring. Imagine a garage that is not for profit and does work at below average the normal rate... Well that's exactly what it is. It's owned by the Navy Exchange, they aren't a private business. :)

Happy Friday.

ChrisWk 09-02-2011 05:15 PM

Re: *Solved* '05 WK EATING coolant!

Wow you got lucky my water pump went out on my 05 hemi WK.

Skinner5.7 09-02-2011 06:30 PM

Mine just did the same thing. Replaced it with a jet thermostat.

FlyinRyan 09-02-2011 07:14 PM

How does a bad thermostat make you lose coolant????

Crestwood1001 09-02-2011 09:30 PM

Yea that makes no sense, it had to be going somewhere, id look into this further, you cant check how the oil looks through the dip stick, you gotta drain it

viking757 09-02-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan (Post 477844)
How does a bad thermostat make you lose coolant????

The rubber seal on the inside of the thermostat(not the o-ring) was making mine ever so slightly loose coolant too. At such a slow rate it was very hard to find until eventually got worse enough for me to physically spot a small coolant trail leading to it.

Good example of what I'm talking about
http://www.tweaknews.net/img/statback.jpg

Crestwood1001 09-02-2011 09:44 PM

Check where you park for any spilled, thats DEADLY to animals, and they like it cause it tastes sweet to them...

viking757 09-02-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 477958)
Check where you park for any spilled, thats DEADLY to animals, and they like it cause it tastes sweet to them...

It never leaked enough to leave a puddle that's why it was really tough to find. I'm sure the coyotes or stray cats out here would of loved some HOAT though ;)

Crestwood1001 09-02-2011 09:51 PM

Haha well depending on your local laws, the game commission would not have loved that...

remmy 09-10-2011 02:47 PM

Yea, it was very hard to find. Thats why I had a pressure test done and that is where it was discovered. Jeep has stopped eating coolant. Ive also put on about 900 miles since then so that definitely fixed it. I originally thought it was my water pump too so I actually have one sitting in the cargo area all boxed up waiting for future use lol.

remmy 09-10-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 477958)

It wasnt enough to make a puddle like Viking said. However, dried up coolant is everywhere in the motor bay lol. Simple green will fix that. Ill just soak everything with it and hose it off after a couple of minutes.

viking757 09-11-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remmy (Post 482231)
It wasnt enough to make a puddle like Viking said. However, dried up coolant is everywhere in the motor bay lol. Simple green will fix that. Ill just soak everything with it and hose it off after a couple of minutes.

Noooo let the kitties clean it up :lol: